cero2k
Site Admin

NJPW - Naito and SANADA's emergency midnight meeting

Post by cero2k » Feb 9th, '18, 10:44

this is a legit article in tokyo sports

source: https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/prores/m ... es/912865/
translation: http://thelionmarks.com/2018/02/09/nait ... wgp-title/

“Naito and SANADA’s midnight urgent meeting”

On the 8th, Naito and SANADA called a sudden meeting. Naito called SANADA, who is going to challenge Okada for the IWGP title on the 10th, in Osaka. They met at their ‘sanctuary’, a cheap family restaurant. After a lengthy 3 hour long discussion, they put 3 wrestlers’ names on the table.

Naito came off as sincere with SANADA, who is about to make his first ever IWGP championship challenge.

But it was clear that Naito really wanted to know what SANADA’s intentions were. SANADA alluded that he was planning on challenging Naito for the title, had he won it at the Dome. Naito asks, “Does that mean you will name me as a challenger if you defeat Okada? Please tell me what you really are thinking.” SANADA responds, “Let me focus on my title match, for now. Naito, you need to remember ‘that word’.” SANADA continued eating his hamburg steak. SANADA added, “I have to consider EVIL, too. So, I really can’t say anything now. And I have to watch out for the man who tried to steal the spotlight at the end of the January 5th show.”

So, after Naito and EVIL, there is a ‘third man’, Jericho. SANADA made his intentions for the title clear at Korakuen, but Jericho stole his moment right after by attacking on Naito. It will be interesting who SANADA would possibly choose as a first challenger, among Naito, EVIL, and Jericho?

Even though Naito tried to respect SANADA’s response, he stopped from his dessert to say, “I can’t be tranquilo. This is something I’m involved in, and I can’t be calm. Tokyo Sports, can you please leave us alone for a moment?”

Later, when we returned to the table, they were already gone, leaving us with the check.

Big Red Machine

Re: NJPW - Naito and SANADA's emergency midnight meeting

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '18, 11:13

But... isn't the next challenger supposed to be decided by the New Japan Cup?

(That being said, if it's not, I thoroughly approve of title defenses on the Australia tour, at the Anniversary Show, the USA show, and even the New Japan Cup Finals show.)
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 9th, '18, 11:46

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 9th, '18, 11:13 But... isn't the next challenger supposed to be decided by the New Japan Cup?

(That being said, if it's not, I thoroughly approve of title defenses on the Australia tour, at the Anniversary Show, the USA show, and even the New Japan Cup Finals show.)
that's for Sakura Genesis, but there's Honor Rising, Australia, US, like you said. Anniversary is usually against a Jr isn't it?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '18, 14:34

cero2k wrote: Feb 9th, '18, 11:46
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 9th, '18, 11:13 But... isn't the next challenger supposed to be decided by the New Japan Cup?

that's for Sakura Genesis, but there's Honor Rising, Australia, US, like you said. Anniversary is usually against a Jr isn't it?
I've totally forgotten about Honor Rising. I don't think it was even on the ROH website the last time I checked. And the belt isn't usually defended there. The Anniversary Show had usually been a non-title match with the Jr. Heavyweight Champion, but they changed that last year. Not having a title defense at a show that big almost seems like a waste to me, although I think it might be cool to have a tag involving the heavyweight champ, Jr. Champ, NEVER champ and IC champ.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 9th, '18, 15:15

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 9th, '18, 14:34
I've totally forgotten about Honor Rising. I don't think it was even on the ROH website the last time I checked. And the belt isn't usually defended there. The Anniversary Show had usually been a non-title match with the Jr. Heavyweight Champion, but they changed that last year. Not having a title defense at a show that big almost seems like a waste to me, although I think it might be cool to have a tag involving the heavyweight champ, Jr. Champ, NEVER champ and IC champ.
i think Honor Rising hasn't promoted anything because of New Beginnings probably would be spoiled and since it's in Japan, ROH may not be crazy about selling tickets

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 10th, '18, 23:53

Ospreay challenged Okada to a match at the Anniversary Show during the post-show press conference in Osaka, so I guess that's happening.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation