cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews NJPW Destruction in FUKUSHIMA 2017 9.10

Post by cero2k » Sep 11th, '17, 16:18

NJPW Destruction in Fukushima
September 10, 2017
Fukushima, Japan

Manau Nakanishi & Shota Umino vs Yuji Nagata & Hirai Kawato - 5/10
Good opener, everything Umino did with Nagata and Kawato was pretty great, and as usual Nakanishi was slow and bulky, which sometimes works, this wasn't the case. Nagata made Umino tap.

Katsuya Kitamura & Tomoyuki Oka vs CHAOS (Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI) - 5/10
CHAOS had the heat on Kitamura for a while, CHAOS was forced to do some double teams and work a bit dirtier in order to overcome the power of Kitamura. Oka got the warm tag and he really dominated Goto for a while. Finish saw Goto pin Oka after hitting him with a kick. These monster Lions really gave CHAOS a hell of a fight.

Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens) vs CHAOS (Beretta & Jado) - 4.5/10
They did some slight comedy with Jado, but the overall purpose of the match was to start getting Beretta over in the heavyweight division, so he looked strong against both BC guys, but having said that, I have zero idea why Yujiro defeated Jado, I highly doubt they have plans for Yujiro.

Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale & Leo Tonga) vs Taguchi Japan (Juice Robinson & David Finlay) - 5/10
The announcers were astonished that Leo Tonga made Fale lok like a normal person. This was two small guys going against the two biggest giants in the roster, fighting valiantly and all. Finish saw Juice and David work together and take out Leo for the win, I know that in the experience totem pole that Leo is the young lion, but a side of me wanted him to stay pin free for a while.

Leo Tonga is still really green when it comes to the flow of a match and was constantly looking over at Fale for instructions, but the dude moves great and is imposing. He needs work, but once he gets there, he could be great.

Suzuki-Gun (Taichi, Yoshinobu Kanemaru, El Desperado, Taka Michinoku, & Takashi Iizuka) vs Taguchi Japan (Hiroshi Tanahashi, Rysuke Taguchi, KUSHIDA, Ricochet, & Togi Makabe) - 7/10
Wait wait, Togi Makabe is part of TJ? So Great Heel Bash is dead again? This match is building the Taichi/Kanemaru tag title shot, the Desperado Jr Heavyweigh title shot, and I'm not sure why they didn't bring Sabre to push the IC title shot (he's at PROGRESS 55, but you would imagine NJPW would want him here, and would have priority).

Match had a lot of comedy (I mean, Taguchi is in it), but when guys like Ricochet, Makabe, or Tanahashi had their chance to run wild, the match was pretty awesome. Suzuki-Gun had the heat on Tanahashi for a short while with Taichi using the ring hammer on him. Match was mostly chaotic, but everyone got their shit in, KUSHIDA was probably who I felt less active. Finish saw Taguchi block an eye poke from Taka and roll him up with the School Boy for the win. I'm actually really hyped about KUSHIDA vs Desperado.

We got another vignette with the dude with the knife. It is believed that this is Sami Callihan.

IWGP Tag Team Championship 3-way Match
Killer Elite Squad vs Guerrilas of Destiny vs War Machine (C) - 6.5/10
GoD managed to stay out of this match for most of it as KES worked on Hanson pretty much from the get go. Ray Rowe got the hot tag, but at this point GoD were the ones that came in and worked on Rowe for a while. KES then came in, took out Tama Tonga and gave War Machine the opening to finish Roa. Good match, but I really don't want to see the same thing three times. I honestly rather see KES mix it up with each team separately.

CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii & Will Ospreay) vs Los Ingobernables de Japon (Hiromu Takahashi & Tetsuya Naito) - 7/10
Ospreay came out with cat face paint because of that feud he is doing with Takahashi, you have to imagine that Ishii is asking himself 'what the fuck is this' as he met with Ospreay at gorilla position. Every combination this matched offered gave us some really good wrestling, Takahashi vs Ishii actually got my attention a lot, and a non-cat-painted Ospreay vs Naito could be really good.

Match mostly focused on Ishii vs Naito with LIJ working Ishii's knee the most. Towards the end, Ospreay took the hot tag and ran wild for a bit, until Hiromu and Naito worked together to hit Destino on Ospreay and pin him.

NEVER Openweight 6-Man Championship Match
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Rocky Romero, & Toru Yano) w/Gedo vs Los Ingobernables de Japon (EVIL, SANADA, & BUSHI) - 7/10
CHAOS were the ones jumping their opponents this time. The whole match was really awesome up until Yano got a tag and started doing his shtick, even Yano was great in the opening parts of the match. The match is obviously building EVIL vs Okada for KOPW, but they played a lot with the SANADA vs Yano history and with Romero and BUSHI.

Okada and EVIL pretty much disappeared from the second half of the match only coming back towards the end when everyone was down and Yano was tied up. They exchanged some finishers, EVIL reversing the Rainmaker once again, leaving Romero opened for the MX/Dragon Sleeper combination for the win. Seems like EVIL has the perfect counter to the Rainmaker. At the end of the match, it really seemed like LIJ beat the shit out of CHAOS, they sold it amazingly, even Yano that was just tied up couldn't walk to the back.

NEVER Openweight Championship Lumberjack Match
Michael Elgin vs Minoru Suzuki (C) - 8.5/10
Elgin's lumberjacks are Tanahashi, Ryusuke, KUSHIDA, and Ricochet; with Suzuki, we have Taka, Desperado, Kanemaru, and Taichi, this last one took fucking ages to get out of the ring and let the match start. Story of the match was that Elgin was the big babyface that wouldn't stood as low as Suzuki and cheat, even having his crew out there or having his hands on a chair, he wouldn't cheat. Suzuki on the other hand, it was a constant barrage of lumberjack interference and weapon use.

Half of the match was Elgin taking on all Suzuki-Gun, while it was just Suzuki and Elgin, the lumberjacks would likely be brawling on the outside. Suzuki worked Elgin's neck/head, Elgin on the other hand worked the upper body heading towards the powerbomb combo. The match was good, but if you dislike interference, you're gonna hate it.

At one point towards the end, when Elgin and Co had taken out all the Suzuki-Gun lumberjacks, KES came out, but where fended off by War Machine, and lastly, Iizuki came out and attacked Elgin, leaving him ready for the Gotch Piledriver for the win.

Post-match - Suzuki-Gun gain control of the ring, Suzuki cuts a promo. Suzuki-Gun Ichiban!

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Good show for NJPW and a good start for the Destruction trilogy, having said that, it was a bit of a one match show in terms of importance since the rest where all tag matches. After the show during the conference, Suzuki poured a beer on the title, I'm gonna have to seek out a translation of this promo, he did however mention Makabe.