NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews NJPW G1 Climax 27, Day 18

Post by cero2k » Aug 14th, '17, 13:51

NJPW G1 Climax 27, Day 18
August 12, 2017
Ryogoku Kokugikan, Tokyo, Japan

Suzuki-Gun (Yoshinobu Kanemaru, El Desperado, Taichi, & Taka Michinoku) vs KUSHIDA, Tiger Mask IV, Jyushin 'Thunder' Liger, & Hirai Kawato - 5/10
Match got a lot of time, it was all to build Desperado to fight KUSHIDA, Desperado actually getting the win. It was a fast paced match where everyone got their stuff in.

Post-match - KUSHIDA tries to protect Kawato from a beat down, but gets his ass kicked instead. Desperado takes him out with the belt, which he steals.

Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi, Tanga Roa, & Chase Owens) vs CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, & YOSHI-HASHI) - 4.5/10
Two jobbers and the crappy part of GoD vs two world champion level guys and a good midcard guy; gee, I wonder who will win. Heat on YOSHI-HASHI, Ishii with the hot tag, where he alone dominated all three guys, and then Goto just came in for the pin. Meh match.

Togi Makabe & Yuji Nagata vs Zack Sabre Jr & Takashi Iizuka - 4/10
Ugh, Iizuka is back, and Sabre had to walk out to his music. All the Makabe vs Iizuka parts sucked, all the Nagata vs Sabre rocked, and that's about all. Finish was Iizuka hitting his hand thing on Nagata and Sabre finishing him off. After the match, Iizuka knocked out Makabe, I hope this won't be a thing to build to.

Bullet Club (Cody, Bad Luck Fale, Hangman Page, & The Young Bucks) vs War Machine, Funky Future, & Katsuya Kitamura - 6/10
So it's now confirmed that War Machine defend tomorrow against Cody and Page, and Funky Future challenge the Bucks for the titles tomorrow too, so this will be a match to build both. Match was good, there were some great spots all over. I loved the 4 corner moonsault tease. The one thing I hated was the finish, Page dropped Kitamura on top of his head, it looked terrible. Kitamura was able to walk away, but jesus man!

Los Ingobernables de Japon vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi, & David Finlay - 6/10
This actually was a lot more Naito vs Ibushi than anything else, but I don't think they'd build to anything unless Naito wins tomorrow and Ibushi becomes a challenger for the briefcase. Tanahashi and Finlay had small run-ins in the match, but even at the end, it was Ibushi putting down BUSHI for the win. Good match.

As of this point, none of these matches really matter since mathematically, only Okada and Omega can make it to the finals. Yano vs Suzuki could lead to a title shot, but we know regardless of who wins, that Yano is not challenging for a title anytime soon.

G1 Climax 27 Block B
Michael Elgin (8) vs Juice Robinson (6) - 8/10
The match started somewhat slow, but it got better as the match went on. It was a nice chance of pace seeing someone not work on Juice's leg since we finally got to see some different stuff from Juice and not just him crying around "my leg!". These was two friends hitting each other with everything they had, but not playing dirty, and at the end, this was a huge ending to Juice's G1. Pervy Robinson only hugs the pretty girls on his way back.

G1 Climax 27 Block B
Tama Tonga (6) vs SANADA (8) - 7/10
This match was unfortunately not what it could had been, I liked the wrestling, I just had bigger expectations. These two guys are really similar to each other and they're both super fast, and so there was a lot of running around, dodging, and mirror spots. Early in the match there was a great countout tease with SANADA tying the nudo on Tonga on the ramp, but Yujiro and Roa came out to undo it and Tonga made it in at 19.5. At the end of the match, these guys started to steal each other's moves, finishing with Tonga delivering the Gun Stun for the win.

G1 Climax 27 Block B
Minoru Suzuki (9) w/Taichi vs Toru Yano (6) - 4.5/10
Suzuki beat the shit out of Yano all match, and then Yano, with his feet tied together, made a comeback, tied Suzuki with tape, and rolled him up for the win. Suzuki is gonna murder someone tonight. At one point Taichi was attacking Yano, but Rocky Romero (who is on commentary) came out to help his stablemate and take out Taichi. This really seemed like the match were Yano would get his ass kicked, but he ended up turning it around. This was bad, but not even close to bad as Elgin vs Yano.

G1 Climax 27 Block B
EVIL (10) vs Satoshi Kojima (4) w/Hiroyoshi Tenzan - 7/10
This was short, but they played this like a hoss fight with big strikes big spots, so Kojima, in a losing effort, did came out looking great, and EVIL does look like someone ready to challenge for the crown. There weren't any big spots or anything, just straight fighting.

G1 Climax 27 Block B
Kazuchika Okada (13) vs Kenny Omega (12) w/The Young Bucks- 9.75/10
This was exactly the story that needed to be told. Omega was pushed against the wall, he not only needed a win (a tie gives the pass to Okada), but he had to do it under 30 minutes (which he couldn't in 60), but there was at least one thing going for Omega, that being the huge target on Okada's neck.

Both men targeted the upper back and neck area of each other. We got to see Okada going for piledrivers, dropkicks, and every rainmaker possible; Omega in the other hand, brought back Croyt's Wrath, go for V-Triggers, direct shots at the back of Okada's neck so that at the end, Okada couldn't even kip up anymore.

Finish came when Omega finally, for the first time ever, hit the One Winged Angel in the middle of the ring and Okada failed to kick out. We've finally confirmed that it only takes ONE One Winged Angel to put down Okada and you don't even have to punish him for 60 minutes. Now he just needs to figure out how to hit it when it matters, an IWGP World Heavyweight Championship match.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
it was a great show, all in all, Block B closed the tournament with a hell of a show, so that even the Yano/Suzuki thing didn't hurt it that much.