BRM Reviews wXw 16 Carat Gold 2017: Day 1 (great!)

NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews wXw 16 Carat Gold 2017: Day 1 (great!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 17th, '17, 15:47

wXw 16 Carat Gold 2017: Day 1 (3/10/2017)- Oberhausen, Germany

16 CARAT GOLD TOURNAMENT 2017 FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Cody Rhodes vs. Da Mack- 6.5/10
Fun babyface vs. babyface match.

16 CARAT GOLD TOURNAMENT 2017 FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Marius Al-Ani vs. JT Dunn- 6.75/10
This was a really great, fast-paced match, and was excellent for the time it got. It was also my first exposure to Marius Al-Ani, and now I need to go find more, because this guy is quite good.

16 CARAT GOLD TOURNAMENT 2017 FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Koji Kanemoto vs. Timothy Thatcher- 7/10
A really great technical match. Thatcher worked the arm while Kanemoto worked the leg. Thatcher was an excellent babyface. Yes. Really.

16 CARAT GOLD TOURNAMENT 2017 FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Ilja Dragunov vs. Robert Dreissker (w/Adam Polak)- 6.5/10
Dragunov won. Polak yelled at Dreissker after the match so Dreissker turned babyface and laid him out.

16 CARAT GOLD TOURNAMENT 2017 FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Matt Riddle vs. Donovan Dijak- 7.5/10
One of Dijak’s kneepads is bright red and doesn’t match the rest of his black with a bit of green gear. It also says “Feast Your Eyes” in yellow letters. It looks horrific, just like the name of that move his horrific. I was hoping that he would dump it when he left ROH, but in this case he appears to have specifically put it on even when it didn’t match his gear, so I guess this terrible name is Dijak’s doing rather than Kevin Kelly’s. That doesn’t mean it’s not still terrible.
These two had a GREAT match for the time they got (every match so far has gone around seven or eight minutes aside from the opener, which went ten. These guys went almost nine). They had one big false finish in here, but due to the combination of the short nature of all of the previous matches and the way they set the spot up, it worked BEAUTIFULLY. The rest of the match was action that the crowd went nuts for.

16 CARAT GOLD TOURNAMENT 2017 FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Paul London vs. “Bad Bones” John Klinger- 7/10
London appears to be wrestling in a onesie… with kneepads on underneath it. This was another action-packed match that was excellent for the time it got. The story was Bones working over London’s mid-section, and both men did a great job of selling their desperation at their inability to put the other away.

16 CARAT GOLD TOURNAMENT 2017 FIRST-ROUND MATCH: ACH vs. “Speedball” Mike Bailey- 8/10
Same general comments as the above matches. Great match, packed with action. This one went quite a bit longer than the others, but they spend the first few minutes humoring the crowd with antics, so it really didn’t get more than one or two more minutes of action than the other matches.

16 CARAT GOLD TOURNAMENT 2017 FIRST-ROUND MATCH: David Starr vs. WALTER- 8.25/10
One hell of an exciting match. Starr was an excellent babyface, bravely facing off against a man of equal skill but seemingly twice the size.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- great!
RingKampf all come out to celebrate and their manager cuts a promo, which I assume said that they were the best wrestlers in the world. Then Jurn Simmons came out and RingKampf backed down. Simmons then cut an excellent promo saying he would beat Axel Dieter Jr. and regain the wXw Unified World Wrestling Championship.

A GREAT first night for the 16 Carat Gold Tournament. All of the matches are extremely easy to sit through and the show is all action from beginning to end… and all in under two hours! This is definitely a show you should check out.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3