Cero Reviews STARDOM Nagoya Supreme Fight

STARDOM, Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling, SHINE, etc.
cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews STARDOM Nagoya Supreme Fight

Post by cero2k » Feb 1st, '22, 20:30

STARDOM Nagoya Supreme Fight
January 29, 2022
Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium, Nagoya, Japan

Future Of Stardom Championship Match
Hanan (c) vs. Lady C - 6.5/10
Fun quick match. Hanan won with a backdrop driver bridge. There wasn't much to the match, both looked good. This was Hanan's V1.

Post-match - New STARDOM and STARS member Momo Kohgo, who won the pre-show battle royale, asked for a shot at the Future title. Hanan accepted.

Prominence Challenge - Risa Sera, Suzu Suzuki, Akane Fujita, Mochi Miyagi and Kurumi Hiiragi of Prominence showed up. Sera called out Giulia, challenged her to a match at the March Sumo Hall show, things got heated really quickly leading to Prominence attacking Giulia, holding her, and right as Sera was about to attack her with a hammer, DDM interrupted the attack and made the save. Both groups brawled to the back. Giulia and Sera have some history from Giulia's Ice Ribbon days, hence the emotion in Sera's words.

Queen's Quest (AZM & Utami Hayashishita) vs. Oedo Tai (Momo Watanabe & Starlight Kid) (w/Oedo Tai) - 8/10
Great match, but of course it comes with the weight of having Oedo Tai interfere a lot. The match had the right amount of heat, especially between AZM and Momo, who have been going hard since the turn. They played with a tease of Momo once again almost breaking AZM's nose with a punt kick, but this time, it was AZM who connected the kick, safely.

Match saw QQ's dominate for a while until Oedo Tai started to interfere more and more until a ref bump that allowed the whole stable to jump in and take out AZM, setting things up for SLK to get the win after a Spanish Fly. AZM did have a visible pin with AZM Sushi at one point, but the ref was out.

SWA Undisputed World Women's Championship Match
Mina Shirakawa vs. Thekla - 7/10
Good match. They did some cat and mouse and posing early on, but once they started going, the action got really good. Thekla is really good and Shirakawa rose to her level, or at least to a point where the back and forth didn't look off. The match did feel like it had a lot of signature move spamming, but it worked out since it led to both counters and the actual move. At the end, Thekla took Shirakawa's head off with a buzzsaw kick and followed with the Toxic Spider Death Drop for the win.

Thekla is perfect for the SWA title right now, Syuri unfortunately didn't do much with it because she wasn't able to wrestle against many foreigners, which will most likely be the case with Thekla, but she'll be a good champion to hold it for now.

Goddesses Of Stardom Championship Match
FWC (Hazuki & Koguma) (c) vs. Donna del Mondo (Himeka & Maika) - 7.5/10
Another solid match, way more action than I honestly expected. I worried that there was going to be a lot of cutesy bear comedy between Koguma and bear costume wearing Maika, but there was just one small reference that led to an early roll up. The rest of the match was just action, and I'd say that Himeka was my MVP of the match, she was just on and had a good pairing with Koguma. Finish came soon after as Himeka was destroying Koguma, ending with a huuuge lariat, only for Koguma to desperately hook a casita on Himeka and keep it down for the three. The finish was soo out of nowhere given the action, that Himeka chased after the referee complaining.

Wonder Of Stardom Championship Match
Saya Kamitani (c) vs. Unagi Sayaka - 8/10
This started out kinda weak, even sloppy with some spots that didn't land strongly, but as it went on and on, it really picked up. Not to the point that I thought Sayaka had any chance of winning, but the action got to a point that it elevated the match, hence the rating.

Match was mostly Kamitani being dominant until Sayaka would get one or two big offensive moves and get Kamitani in trouble until she'd regain control. Things would escalate to Kamitani not being able to keep down Sayaka, who kept kicking out of everything and chasing her signature move. At the end, Kamitani had to pull out the Phoenix Splash, which actually was really scary because Kamitani landed knees first into Sayaka's torso.

Cinderella Tournament Announcement - The 2022 Cinderella Tournament begins April 3, continues on April 17, and then the Finals are on April 29 at Ota Ward Gymnasium.

World Of Stardom Championship #1 Contendership Match
Mayu Iwatani vs. Giulia - 9.25/10
Tam Nakano was booked for this match, but fell out after being in "poor physical condition" along with Tsukiyama and Sakurai, who were just booked for the pre-show. Prior to Nakano being out, the stipulation was that the winner got the title shot first, and the person not pinned got a title shot later, but now, it's just a straight up #1 contendership match.

Judging by Giulia's entrance gear, I think she's either been hanging out with Kenny Omega a lot, or at least playing Final Fantasy too.

Fantastic match. They went the full 30 minutes and all things considered, the pace was way faster and stronger than I would have expected. The violence also escalated quite quickly, Giulia had started with a submission approach, but after the spot where they went to the floor and pretty much wrestled there for an hour, you could see that Mayu's desperation mode had triggered and once in the ring, both of them went all out with strikes and big moves. As the match closed in on the last minute, both women kept exchanging headbutts, until Mayu went for the moonsault, one failed and one landed, but she just couldn't get the win, so they just went back to strikes until the draw.

Giulia got a bad cut around the chin in the last moonsault, Mayu caught her with the knee-shin on the way down.

Post-match - Giulia got quickly checked because she and Mayu had promos to cut after Rossy Ogawa proclaimed that since they went to a 30 minute draw, they're both getting World of Stardom title matches at Ryogoku Sumo Hall, one on March 26 and one on March 27. Tells you that Nakano was likely taking the loss tonight.

Giulia gets day 1, Mayu gets day 2.

World Of Stardom Championship Match
Syuri (c) vs. MIRAI - 8.5/10
It's so incredible that months ago, I was still watching Mirai Maiumi in the TJPW openers, looking like a kid, and now 2022, she's main eventing a pay-per-view, challenging for the title against her stablemate, looking totally badass and like an adult.

The match obviously had the hurdle of having a challenger with 0% chance of winning, like zero, but knowing that, this match instead was used to establish Syuri's dominance, and showcase a bit of MIRAI. Story was that Syuri was a better striker, grappler, and straight up wrestler than MIRAI, but what MIRAI had over Syuri is that she's a powerhouse that had the power to straight-up take and block Syuri's kicks, power to take down Syuri, and power to slam Syuri left and right. I wouldn't say Syuri ever lost full control of the match, but she definitely had some trouble finally putting down MIRAI until she hit Syu-sekai.

Post-match - Syuri closed the show along with the rest of DDM.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Great show as usual. It was the first big show of the year and thus the first defense for most of the new champions, hence a lot of weaker challengers, or challengers that had a small chance at winning, but they still managed to deliver some great action. This felt like the start of the build towards Sumo Hall in March, and so far, I like how things are looking.