Cero Reviews Stardom New Years Stars 2017 - Day 3

STARDOM, Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling, SHINE, etc.
cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 18th, '17, 15:38

January 8th, 2017
Hamamatsu, Japan

Azumi vs Arisu Nanase - DUD? Squash?
HAHA! Arisu offers a hand shake, Azumi blows her off, Arisu gets pissed off and drop kicks Azumi on the back. Dang, match lasted about a minute, they started exchanging roll ups and one of those worked. These two usually have matches that look stiff, I was really looking forward to this.

Post-match - Azumi makes fun of Arisu for being the Rookie of the Year and being beaten so easily. Asks fans to go to Facebook and Twitter and make fun or Arisu. Little Azumi made Arisu look like shit.

Natsuko Tora vs Kris Wolf - 5/10
Wolf's pre-match promo is exactly what I feel about all those promos, tons of nonsense and I don't know what they're supposed to say half of the time. This was mostly Wolf beating the shit out of Tora, until Tora started biting Wolf's tail, to which Wolf started biting Tora's leg. I think Dragon Ball physics just came into play. Tora would have a small comeback with a good submission spot, but not enough to put Wolf down, who quickly won the match afterwards. Ok match.

Viper vs "Queen of Spades" Shayna Baszler vs Hiromi Mimura - 6.5/10
Viper's pre-match promo was pretty decent, she wants to pin Baszler to get momentum going into her title shot. I love her voice. Story of the match is that Viper and Baszler are having their own match while pesky HIromi is trying to get in between them two but they completely ignore her. This was awfully entertaining, Viper and Baszler were having a pretty decent Ishii-esque exchange between them and Hiromu would get inbetween them at the right time. Eventually, when Viper and Baszler would finally pay attention to Hiromi, she couldn't stand a chance against them and at the first chance Viper hits the big splash for the win.

Kay Lee Ray & Nixon Newell vs Kairi Hojo & Konami - 7/10
This is a weird way to build to the big tag team title match since Hojo is teaming with Konami (who she has never teamed before) against the actual challenging team, and Yoko Bito is not even around. Pre-match promos by both were good. The heel team jumped the babyfaces during introductions, they kicked their ass outside the ring for a while, but once they brought them inside, Hojo and Konami got control over them. All fighting was back and forward, not a lot of tags, big spot wast a double submission the babyfaces had on the heels (at one point Konami had the kneebar on Newell and Hojo landed her elbow on her and she still didn't submit).

Finish saw Newell and KLR hit a half More Bang For Your Buck, in which KLR landed sickly dead-weight on Konami, like something had to be broken inside, and at the end Newell hit the Shinning Wizard for the pin. Seriously, that Swanton that KLR landed was bad, Konami was too far for KLR, fuck that looked painful. The heels get their momentum they needed towards the title shot, but there was no post-match promo, I think everyone felt bad for that botch, aside from that spot, great match.

Queen’s Quest vs Jungle Kyona, Mayu Iwatani & Yoko Bito - 8.5/10
Io Shirai's pre-match promo is just so awesome that her teammates look completely like shit, I mean, they're shit promos anyway, but next to Io, they're even lower than shit promos. Anyway, the match, Queen's Quest had the heat on Jungle for a while, and I mean, five of the six women are champions, you just know that Jungle is not only taking the most punishment, but also the pin.

Everything between Bito and Shirai was awesome. Iwatani was awesome, but not really involved in most of the match, she did some lucha stuff at the start, then disappeared until the end when she fought Shirai and Watanabe in also some great exchanges. Finish saw Io Shirai take out Bito and Iwatani on the outside with a moonsault from the corner, meanwhile in the ring, Watanabe and HZK take out Jungle for the win. It's really funny seeing the younger ones try to play cool like Shirai and completely failing to look cool. Match had great parts, some ok parts, but overall, a great main event.

Off topic: I wonder what Stardom does with all those used streamers, the amount of trash this promotion generates per show is seriously alarming.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Good show by Stardom, got some wins on all contenders. Nothing special wrestling wise.