2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
Post Reply
User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18872
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 4th, '12, 15:27

Raw has now been three hours long for about six weeks now. How do you feel about it?


Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18872
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: 2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 4th, '12, 15:33

Personally, it is just too damn long. I can usually sit through a three hour PPV or indy show, but with Raw, I find it to be a chore. I think that a lot of this is because the four or wive weeks of TV then a PPV format has in some ways programmed me to feel that the TV matches aren't particularly important. Combine that with mediocre booking and repetitive match-ups, and Raw becomes a pain in the butt to sit through.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14938
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: 2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Post by cero2k » Sep 4th, '12, 15:39

i don't like it just for the fact that is way to long, and to be honest, i don't see the difference between this and a 2 hr raw. we still get the same format, same type of matches, same guys over and over again. The extra hour is mostly used for recaps, non-wrestling promotional stuff like be a star and movies, and maybe just maybe some skits here and there.

my biggest problem is that it starts way to early for me (6 pm) which is a time i'm usually still working. I think this shows on the live coverage that have become results that i can't even finish now a days. it's not good.
Image

User avatar
Serujuunin
Posts: 1731
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 19:56
Favorite Wrestler: Jeff Hardy
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Contact:

Re: 2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Post by Serujuunin » Sep 4th, '12, 20:13

[rant]

WAY TO F*CKING LONG. Seriously, we all have lives to live and they want us to sit through three hours of the same old crap they fed us for the two hour ones, only more of it? I don't think so. And for those of us (like me) who suffer from a strange sort of OCD where I need to know what's going on, we're stuck in the stupid trap of listening to three hours of trash and dribble. The matches aren't even better or longer or anything, it's just more of those stupid skits and talking and crap. And with school starting soon, I'm thinking about forgetting about RAW altogether and just reading the results. I'm so p*ssed about this three hour thing. RAAAAAAAAGE.

[/rant]

User avatar
Bob-O
Posts: 1930
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 06:06
Favorite Wrestler: King Kong Bundy
Location: Erie, Pa

Re: 2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Post by Bob-O » Sep 4th, '12, 20:26

If I didn't watch it on an hour and a half DVR delay I don't think I could do it.

However, while being able to skip commercials, recaps, and the other junk, I happen to like it. We get actual matches now! The storylines don't seem as clusterf*ck rushed as they did over 2 hours, like more of what the writers are writing is actually making it to the screen.

Would I change things? Oh god, yeah. Tons of things. But, I'm happier with Raw now than I have been in a few years and I think the extra hour has a lot to do with it.
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18872
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: 2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 4th, '12, 21:33

Serujuunin wrote:[rant]

WAY TO F*CKING LONG. Seriously, we all have lives to live and they want us to sit through three hours of the same old crap they fed us for the two hour ones, only more of it? I don't think so. And for those of us (like me) who suffer from a strange sort of OCD where I need to know what's going on, we're stuck in the stupid trap of listening to three hours of trash and dribble. The matches aren't even better or longer or anything, it's just more of those stupid skits and talking and crap. And with school starting soon, I'm thinking about forgetting about RAW altogether and just reading the results. I'm so p*ssed about this three hour thing. RAAAAAAAAGE.

[/rant]
THIS!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Verdun
Posts: 443
Joined: Jan 21st, '11, 09:11
Favorite Wrestler: Christian
Location: Holy Terra

Re: 2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Post by Verdun » Sep 4th, '12, 23:02

Big Red Machine wrote:
Serujuunin wrote:[rant]

WAY TO F*CKING LONG. Seriously, we all have lives to live and they want us to sit through three hours of the same old crap they fed us for the two hour ones, only more of it? I don't think so. And for those of us (like me) who suffer from a strange sort of OCD where I need to know what's going on, we're stuck in the stupid trap of listening to three hours of trash and dribble. The matches aren't even better or longer or anything, it's just more of those stupid skits and talking and crap. And with school starting soon, I'm thinking about forgetting about RAW altogether and just reading the results. I'm so p*ssed about this three hour thing. RAAAAAAAAGE.

[/rant]
THIS!
Pretty much this.
Lady Luck is smiling...

User avatar
RedSon
Posts: 457
Joined: Mar 10th, '12, 10:43
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: 2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Post by RedSon » Sep 11th, '12, 14:05

hate it. it's hard to stay focused for soo long
The Man That Gravity Forgot!
Image

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 3567
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54
Favorite Wrestler: Idk
Location: Ocean Springs,MS.

Re: 2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 18th, '15, 00:29

Serujuunin wrote:[rant]

WAY TO F*CKING LONG. Seriously, we all have lives to live and they want us to sit through three hours of the same old crap they fed us for the two hour ones, only more of it? I don't think so. And for those of us (like me) who suffer from a strange sort of OCD where I need to know what's going on, we're stuck in the stupid trap of listening to three hours of trash and dribble. The matches aren't even better or longer or anything, it's just more of those stupid skits and talking and crap. And with school starting soon, I'm thinking about forgetting about RAW altogether and just reading the results. I'm so p*ssed about this three hour thing. RAAAAAAAAGE.

[/rant]
This is HILARIOUS! :ymapplause:
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18872
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: 2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 18th, '15, 00:46

I think it really depends on how good the show is. Sometimes it feels like it's flying, but when there is either way too many short matches or way too many long talking segments, it is unbearable.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14938
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: 2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Post by cero2k » Aug 18th, '15, 08:21

Big Red Machine wrote:I think it really depends on how good the show is. Sometimes it feels like it's flying, but when there is either way too many short matches or way too many long talking segments, it is unbearable.
there hasn't been an episode that i thought, "good thing we have an extra hour"
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18872
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: 2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 18th, '15, 08:26

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:I think it really depends on how good the show is. Sometimes it feels like it's flying, but when there is either way too many short matches or way too many long talking segments, it is unbearable.
there hasn't been an episode that i thought, "good thing we have an extra hour"
No, but I' sure matches like the Cena vs. Cesaro matches would have been significantly shorter and worse. Remember that awesome gauntlet Daniel Bryan ran that one time? That would never been allowed to be so awesome on a two hour show.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14938
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: 2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Post by cero2k » Aug 18th, '15, 08:37

Big Red Machine wrote: No, but I' sure matches like the Cena vs. Cesaro matches would have been significantly shorter and worse. Remember that awesome gauntlet Daniel Bryan ran that one time? That would never been allowed to be so awesome on a two hour show.
that is something i can't disagree with, match length has been a lot better, but we have also been getting the same match over and over and over again because there is now time to address all storylines. However, I will say, if WWE wanted, they could easily run those matches on a 2 hr show. They ran an ironman match before on smackdown.

Realistically, 3 hrs should be so bad with a good show, RAW just isn't one.
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18872
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: 2 Cents: 3 Hour Raws

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 18th, '15, 09:28

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: No, but I' sure matches like the Cena vs. Cesaro matches would have been significantly shorter and worse. Remember that awesome gauntlet Daniel Bryan ran that one time? That would never been allowed to be so awesome on a two hour show.
that is something i can't disagree with, match length has been a lot better, but we have also been getting the same match over and over and over again because there is now time to address all storylines. However, I will say, if WWE wanted, they could easily run those matches on a 2 hr show. They ran an ironman match before on smackdown.

Realistically, 3 hrs should be so bad with a good show, RAW just isn't one.
The whole "same matches over and over again" thing is an issue of creative being lazy and just stuck in a detrimental way of doing things. They decided they wanted to have a four way for the tag titles at the PPV, so they spent all five weeks on both Raw and Smackdown sticking various pairings of the four teams in the ring together with no rhyme or reason or consequences, (usually with at least one other team on commentary all the time so people can yell at each other after the match) until you've seen everything they can do and are completely numb to the matches... then they expect you to get excited about the match on PPV. And they did the same thing for Elimination Chamber just two months ago.

What they could have done is something like the following:
Raw 1:
PTP beat New Day clean (preferably the pairing they haven't beaten on PPV, which I believe would be Xavier & Kofi.

Smackdown 1:

Los Matadores cut a backstage promo saying that it's time for the New Day to step aside and let someone else challenge for the tag titles. (And maybe we stick PTP in a big ten man tag main event where they don't get pinned to actually make the titles look important).

Raw 2:

Los Matadores def. Axel and Sandow in dominant fashion. PTP are on commentary and put them over as worthy challengers
Also on this show, Lucha Dragons will beat some jobbers

Smackdown 2:
Lucha Dragons cut a promo saying that Los Matadores are right and New Day should step aside, but they should be the #1 contenders instead of the Matadores. To prove this point, they challenge New Day to a match!
Los Matadores def. The Ascension
(and we probably stick PTP in a big eight or ten man tag near the top of the card, like last week)

Raw 3:
PTP cut a promo saying they'll face anyone who wants a shot at them and accept the Lucha Dragon's challenge for a match on Smackdown
The New Day cut a promo saying that they will stay positive through their losses and won't step aside for anyone!

Smackdown 3:
Lucha Dragons upset PTP in a non-title match
New Day def. Los Matadores

Raw 4:
Los Matadores call out the Lucha Dragons. Lucha Dragons accept a match with them which Los Matadores win clean. PTP are on commentary to put both teams over.
New Day cut a promo bragging about their victory over Los Matadores- They have beaten the guys who beat the guys who beat the champs, so that means they are the best!

Smackdown 4:

New Day beat Lucha Dragons
PTP cut a promo saying they'll take on and all challengers

Raw 5:
A fatal 4-way match is announced for the PPV, with the announcers and a video package helped to get over the story of the circle of winning and losing: The Prime Time Players beat the New Day, New Day beat Los Matadores, Los Matadores beat the Lucha Dragons, but Lucha Dragons beat PTP... so the fatal four way rules make it possible that anything can happen and all teams have any equal chance of winning.
(New Day got the extra win in over Lucha Dragons because they are the team that needed the most rebuilding because they lost to the tag champs multiple times in the past few months.
Also on this show: I'd give Lucha Dragons a win over some other team not involved here because they have lost two in a row.

Smackdown 5:
You do your big 4 way confrontation that ends in a schmoz.
(alternatively you could also do that on Raw 5 with Lucha Dragons coming out on top, and then give LD a win here on Smackdown)

Every match has a purpose, all contenders seem viable, the prestige of the titles is raised a bit, the matches aren't over-exposed (PTP and Matadores haven't even wrestled each other- and that is using TEN shows instead just the five Raws that WWE would use, so I have made Smackdown feel important, too) and there is a story being told that necessitates a four way match.
How did I do it? By having an actual story in mind (it's a simple story,but a story nonetheless), and by not forcing everyone into the same segment all the time to make things feel different. It's the same problem as the Divas Revolution or Miz vs. Ryback vs. Big Show or Dean/Roman vs. Wyatts or Orton vs. Sheamus.

That all took be about three seconds to come up with the idea for and about ten minutes to nail down the specifics.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests