2 Cents: Signing Indy Wrestlers to WWE and TNA

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
cero2k
Site Admin

2 Cents: Signing Indy Wrestlers to WWE and TNA

Post by cero2k » Jul 13th, '12, 13:12

It is not uncommon for the titan wrestling promotions to have seasons where they start fetching talent that was built in the independent scene of wrestling. Many wrestlers have gone to great heights due to this, some have perished in the mix.

3 things I wanna take on this.

1 - What is your opinion on the WWE and TNA just going to the independent scene and taking talents like if it were a pool of talent ?

2 - Anyone can say that it is the best thing for the wrestlers, but what about the promotion ? Do you think it affects the promotions that much ? or are they already predisposed to this ?

3 - What talent would you actually want to see in TNA or WWE ?

Verdun

Re: 2 Cents: Signing Indy Wrestlers to WWE and TNA

Post by Verdun » Jul 13th, '12, 13:31

cero2k wrote: 1 - What is your opinion on the WWE and TNA just going to the independent scene and taking talents like if it were a pool of talent ?

2 - Anyone can say that it is the best thing for the wrestlers, but what about the promotion ? Do you think it affects the promotions that much ? or are they already predisposed to this ?

3 - What talent would you actually want to see in TNA or WWE ?
1. WWE and TNA are a business which means they want to make profit. And if they want to scour the globe for the best performers they are well within their right to do so. Not to mention this is a two-way street. These people have the choice to reject a big name offer. No one is putting a gun to their head.

2. The issue with Kenny King is proof that it does affect the original promotion. Of course, losing talent affects a promotion. They have to re-structure and plan out a new course to adapt to a loss of talent.

3. I wanna see more dedicated aerial styles and maneuvers in WWE. Hopefully with PAC signed we'll see some of that.
For me, its not so much who, I want to see its what I want to see. I want to see different styles and maneuvers. Anyone who could bring a solidly unique skill set would make me happy. Like the first time I saw Rob Van Dam in
WWE, which was the first time ever. I watched and was wowed. This is different. This is exciting.

As for TNA, I think their roster is solid. Aside from signing a few people like Rubix and Joey Ryan, TNA should be more focused on properly using their talent. They have all the tools available to them. What caught my attention when I first saw TNA on FSN West was (well to be honest I saw Hardy and Jarrett and was wondering what the hell was this) was the quality and diversity of the matches they were putting on.
Lady Luck is smiling...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 13th, '12, 13:38

1. Good the WWE and TNA, and good for the talent (If they use them well).

2. It is great for WWE. If they sign indy guys with the right talent and passion for the business, then they don't need to spend extra time training people.

3. Anyone who I think would do well in a mainstream promotion is someone who I would much rather see wrestling in the promotions they are in right now. Maybe Cabana to WWE.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 14th, '12, 07:29

1. I'm all for seeing the cream rise to the top. It's frustrating to me to see a guy become a draw in the indy's and NOT spark some interest from WWE or TNA due to 'marketability' or whatever.

2. Sure it hurts the promotion, but that's the breaks. These promoters need to be ready for this, as it's been the game for decades. The only instance where this actually bothered me was the dying days of ECW, but I don't fault WWE or WCW for that. It's business.

3. I'd love to see what Jimmy Jacobs could do on National TV, I think he's years overdue.

RedSon

Post by RedSon » Jul 18th, '12, 18:34

1. i think it's just the way of life in the wrestling business. the only thing i dislike about that is that they sometimes grab them, play around with them, and the throw them back when they're not relevant anymore. see chris harris.

2. they should be ready for this type of thing, but at the same time it must suck that your storylines or work you put on a wrestler go to waste for them leaving. see kenny king

3. i wanna see some teams head to wwe, hoping they don't get too repackaged
The Man That Gravity Forgot!

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jul 18th, '12, 21:30

cero2k wrote:1 - What is your opinion on the WWE and TNA just going to the independent scene and taking talents like if it were a pool of talent ?

Everyone has to understand that independent wrestling is MEANT to be a pool of talent for the bigger promotions. That's the point of independent wrestling 99% of the time. Wrestling is a business, and there is no money in independent wrestling (even though ever since ROH started and Feinstein changed that forever by paying guys WAY too much). Anybody who is like "hey man stick up for indy wrestling" should really stop and think. I used to be like that too, until (I don't care how snobby I may sound) I actually started wrestling. If anybody is serious about getting into the wrestling business, then it's their goal to be in WWE (or even, dare I say, TNA).

In wrestling (like any business), you more often than not start at the very bottom and work your way up. The indies are the bottom, and WWE is the very top. It's that simple. Smaller promotions are always predisposed to losing guys to other places, that's the nature of the business. You start at the Bumf*ck Wrestling Assocation, work your way up the local indies perhaps into a bigger indy where you actually might make a small living (ROH, PWG; CHIKARA and CZW don't even pay as much as you might think), and then if you're good enough and not a fool, you get up to TNA or WWE.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 18th, '12, 22:35

yourcrapsweak wrote: If anybody is serious about getting into the wrestling business, then it's their goal to be in WWE (or even, dare I say, TNA).
not if you start your own promotion, in that case, it must suck that WWE takes the guys you're building, and you can't simply rely on, "hey, they'll know he started here"

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jul 19th, '12, 11:49

cero2k wrote:
yourcrapsweak wrote: If anybody is serious about getting into the wrestling business, then it's their goal to be in WWE (or even, dare I say, TNA).
not if you start your own promotion, in that case, it must suck that WWE takes the guys you're building, and you can't simply rely on, "hey, they'll know he started here"
From a business point of view yeah that does suck for you, because you're losing talent that you've worked hard to build and get over. HOWEVER, that's the nature of the business. You can't bitch and complain because that's what happens. Again it's like any business, you lose employees sometimes to bigger and better companies because they offer more money or a better position. Happens everywhere, wrestling is no different.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 19th, '12, 12:08

yourcrapsweak wrote:
cero2k wrote:
From a business point of view yeah that does suck for you, because you're losing talent that you've worked hard to build and get over. HOWEVER, that's the nature of the business. You can't bitch and complain because that's what happens. Again it's like any business, you lose employees sometimes to bigger and better companies because they offer more money or a better position. Happens everywhere, wrestling is no different.
agree with you there, it's the way of the business. but to consider that 99% of the time the indies should be looked up like a pool of talent is bad, it's like thinking that they're all developmental and not worth watching until they get to wwe

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jul 19th, '12, 18:17

cero2k wrote: agree with you there, it's the way of the business. but to consider that 99% of the time the <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">indies</a></a> should be looked up like a pool of talent is bad, it's like thinking that they're all developmental and not worth watching until they get to wwe
What do you mean, exactly? The indy scene pretty much is developmental. It's the ideal place to grow as a worker. The indies are a good place to watch not just because there are some of the best wrestlers in the world who haven't gotten their big break, but that doesn't mean it's not a "developmental".
-Kevin Steen

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 19th, '12, 18:40

yourcrapsweak wrote: What do you mean, exactly? The indy scene pretty much is developmental. It's the ideal place to grow as a worker. The indies are a good place to watch not just because there are some of the best wrestlers in the world who haven't gotten their big break, but that doesn't mean it's not a "developmental".
it's not developmental, they're promotions like WWE or TNA but with less funding, thus it's easier for a guy or gal trying to get in the business to approach, but they're not developmental. Some companies do exist with the sole purpose of developing new talent, but they're not indy by definition (since they're funded by a non-indy company). There's a lot of talent that started at WWE and TNA, that was their developmental.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 19th, '12, 18:52

It's cool with me so long as they actually USE the talent and don't just poach them to keep them out of other promotions. I feel like if a guy can draw somewhere, either push him as a draw or leave him where he is. Tyler Black is a perfect example of this. I understand the WWE wanting to groom talent and all, but all they've done is kill his momentum and slow him down.