2 Cents: Authority Figures

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
yourcrapsweak

2 Cents: Authority Figures

Post by yourcrapsweak » Dec 6th, '11, 07:39

What is your opinion on not just authority figures, but authority figures constantly being a staple of so many storylines, constantly? Is it a good idea to have major angles being over authority and power?
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Re: 2 Cents: Authority Figures

Post by Lynas » Dec 6th, '11, 07:51

Authority figures are great... as long as they're brief (aside from McMahon because Worker vs The Boss was a great feud)

Jim Cornette, great authority figure, doesn't take up more than 7 or 8 minutes a show.

Teddy Long, effective enough. Arrive. Tag Match. Leave.

Vince McMahon, never says much more than he has to (unless he's booking himself to be a douchebag). Perfect diction. Great attitude. Best there ever was.

Authority figures are great and I feel they have their worth... just as long as they're not overshadowing the wrestling talent in the show... (Bischoff/Hogan).

Contribute yes. Put faces in odd stacking predicamants & favour the heels yes. But don't take up an hour of my life with your constant "we have the power" drivel.

Verdun

Post by Verdun » Dec 6th, '11, 11:02

No company operates without some degree of managerial authority so I feel they definitely have a place.

That place being to assist the fluidity of the show and to help push the product.
There are good exceptions and bad exceptions as Lynas put, but when used properly
I feel it helps move along story quite nicely and when it becomes story it can be
pretty good or downright awful.

Look at the difference between Johnny Ace and Eric Bischoff. Ace is facilitating
the story line of the established talent, Bischoff pushes his own godawful feud
with his own son.

Johnny Ace is doing it right because he's adding fuel to existing hostility, while
Bischoff creates issues nobody wants or cares about.
Lady Luck is smiling...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 6th, '11, 11:27

Everything Lynas and Verdun said.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3