2 Cents: The return of the old Intercontinental Championship

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
Lynas
Future Endeavored

2 Cents: The return of the old Intercontinental Championship

Post by Lynas » Oct 4th, '11, 04:35

Cody Rhodes re-introduced the old style Intercontinental Championship. The style held by Stone Cold Steve Austin, Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon with the explanation of "It meant more back then"

What are your thoughts on re-introducing the belt? Both design and reasoning?

Earth Child

Re: 2 Cents: The return of the old Intercontinental Champion

Post by Earth Child » Oct 4th, '11, 07:18

I like the direction. They've used the whole "it used to mean more" card before so this is totally making it more credible

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 4th, '11, 09:04

I don't like it. It's not the belt I grew up with, and I think that the white belt strap is ugly.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 4th, '11, 10:27

I personally don't like that title either, but I like the reason why he did it. Saying that the IC has lost all its respect (which is true) because of people like Chyna, Santino, or Zeke and he wants to return the prestige of the belt by bringing back the classic design. Hopefully this will do good for the IC title and the IC division-of-sort.

Last sunday on HIAC, i truly felt for the first time that the IC Division can go somewhere, and i felt that the Tag Division IS going somewhere. you don't need to bring in the KoW, or the Young Bucks to have a decent tag division, Air Boom doing double teams, with similar attires, that's what tag team division is about, Ziggler/Swgger/Vicky is a good team, they looked legit.

So if this is an indication of what can happen to the IC title, i'm all for it.

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Oct 4th, '11, 14:01

Love it! It makes my IC Replica Belt "vintage"!
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 4th, '11, 17:57

cero2k wrote:I personally don't like that title either, but I like the reason why he did it. Saying that the IC has lost all its respect (which is true) because of people like Chyna, Santino, or Zeke and he wants to return the prestige of the belt by bringing back the classic design. Hopefully this will do good for the IC title and the IC division-of-sort.
So a few bad champs held it... so what? You know who else held that belt? Eddie Guerrero, RVD, Chris Jericho, Kane, Triple H, CM Punk, Kurt Angle, Edge, Booker T, Rey Mysterio, and Randy Orton.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 4th, '11, 19:56

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:I personally don't like that title either, but I like the reason why he did it. Saying that the IC has lost all its respect (which is true) because of people like Chyna, Santino, or Zeke and he wants to return the prestige of the belt by bringing back the classic design. Hopefully this will do good for the IC title and the IC division-of-sort.
So a few bad champs held it... so what? You know who else held that belt? Eddie Guerrero, RVD, Chris Jericho, Kane, Triple H, CM Punk, Kurt Angle, Edge, Booker T, Rey Mysterio, and Randy Orton.
yeah, and they're not the problem, they held the title with prestige and honor, not as a joke like Santino. The belt itself doesn't represent the lineage, but the other way around. Spinner belt or not, it's still the WWE championship held by all time greats.Lineage is not carried on a plate, but on the name. and the IC title IS means almost nothing compared to what it used to, bringing back the other title is a visual representation that Cody wants the IC title to be what it used to mean

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 4th, '11, 20:34

cero2k wrote:yeah, and they're not the problem, they held the title with prestige and honor, not as a joke like Santino. The belt itself doesn't represent the lineage, but the other way around. Spinner belt or not, it's still the WWE championship held by all time greats.Lineage is not carried on a plate, but on the name. and the IC title IS means almost nothing compared to what it used to, bringing back the other title is a visual representation that Cody wants the IC title to be what it used to mean
Absolutely. When I saw Cody with that belt a nostalgic chill went down my spine. I immediately thought of Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat at WM3. I thought of "The Greatest Intercontinental Champion of All Time" The Honky Tonk Man. While the belt was black, the plate was the same. I thought of the battles Razor Ramon and Shawn Micheals had over that thing.

The guys I associate with the Retro IC Title WERE Champions, while those associated with the modernized version were great talents who held a championship.

I just hope they follow through with this idea. Acknowledging that the IC Title has lost it's prestige is not enough, they're going to have to be patient and creative enough to allow Cody to re-elevate it.

Big Bad Booty Daddy

Post by Big Bad Booty Daddy » Jan 4th, '12, 12:10

Nice to see,

Id love to see the Blue, Heavyweight title back aswell that Warrior had