2 Cents: Gunner

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
cero2k
Site Admin

2 Cents: Gunner

Post by cero2k » Jul 21st, '11, 23:54

yeah, that guy that is getting an ultimate push in TNA. what are your thoughts??

personally, i don't like him, not because he's bad, but because i don't see anything in him, just another generic body that can do some moves. His promos are at most ok, to me he sounds like a typical angry dude. His wrestling is meh, i mean, he's not the worst i've seen, but when you have Angle, Styles, Joe, Aries, Anderson, Pope, etc etc, well....he's not that special.

I have a feeling that the only reason why he's getting this out of the world push (along with Crimson) is because TNA wants their own Cena and Orton, someone that they created themselves, someone who's willing to suck up to the company and people running it, so they won't bail on the company once they're in the top.

Bob-O

Re: 2 Cents: Gunner

Post by Bob-O » Jul 22nd, '11, 06:57

cero2k wrote:i mean, he's not the worst i've seen, but when you have Angle, Styles, Joe, Aries, Anderson, Pope, etc etc, well....he's not that special.
This.

Also, I forgot who said it, but in regard to names somebody in the industry once said something along the lines of, a good rule of thumb is to say out loud "The winner, and NEEEEW World Heavyweight Champion.... (insert name here)!" and if it doesn't sound right, it's time to go back to the drawing board. I think Gunner needs to go back to the drawing board. A great name for a henchman, no so much for a World Title competitor.

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jul 22nd, '11, 10:42

He has potential, but he's got a long way to go. He seems very generic and has barely any personality, but he definitely has some untapped potential in him.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 22nd, '11, 11:56

I like him; he's what TNA has been missing for a very long time: a new, good TNA Original. I like him and Crimson...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 22nd, '11, 16:00

I think he is good, and TNA is doing a good job of building him up. As for Bob-O's comment about names: sometimes that holds true and sometimes it doesn't. It almost always seems weird for someone with no first of last name. With Gunner, though, it is an easy fix: Just add a last name.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 23rd, '11, 00:42

Big Red Machine wrote:I think he is good, and TNA is doing a good job of building him up. As for Bob-O's comment about names: sometimes that holds true and sometimes it doesn't. It almost always seems weird for someone with no first of last name. With Gunner, though, it is an easy fix: Just add a last name.
or a first.

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jul 23rd, '11, 03:18

I love Gunner. Honestly, he is the only thing on TNA that I like watching. Although, I can see TNA dropping the ball big time with him in terms of developing his character a little bit. At the moment he's just a generic wrestler. He needs SOMETHING that makes him slightly different from everyone else on the roster.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 23rd, '11, 10:21

kiel297 wrote:I love Gunner. Honestly, he is the only thing on TNA that I like watching. Although, I can see TNA dropping the ball big time with him in terms of developing his character a little bit. At the moment he's just a generic wrestler. He needs SOMETHING that makes him slightly different from everyone else on the roster.
hes actually been developed some already,,anger,intesity,,Double tough...remember when he was sittin there gettin stiched up,,and did the promo on AJ and BFG series the WHOLE TIME? most ppl wouldnt be talking during that time
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 23rd, '11, 13:04

kiel297 wrote:I love Gunner. Honestly, he is the only thing on TNA that I like watching. Although, I can see TNA dropping the ball big time with him in terms of developing his character a little bit. At the moment he's just a generic wrestler. He needs SOMETHING that makes him slightly different from everyone else on the roster.
And breaking away from Immortal will do that for him.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK

Post by NWK » Aug 7th, '11, 23:31

I think Gunner is one of the people we'll all be talking about circa 2020 the way we talk about Cena/Punk today or how we talked about Rock/Austin in the 1990s. The thing is, all these guys started off with kind of an unsuccessful generic gimmick, and I think that's where we are right now, out of both Gunner and Crimson, the other guy who I think will be the big young star of the next generation
The Andy Rooney of WR, NWK

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Aug 8th, '11, 00:40

NWK wrote:I think Gunner is one of the people we'll all be talking about circa 2020 the way we talk about Cena/Punk today or how we talked about Rock/Austin in the 1990s. The thing is, all these guys started off with kind of an unsuccessful generic gimmick, and I think that's where we are right now, out of both Gunner and Crimson, the other guy who I think will be the big young star of the next generation
good point.

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Aug 8th, '11, 00:45

NWK wrote:I think Gunner is one of the people we'll all be talking about circa 2020 the way we talk about Cena/Punk today or how we talked about Rock/Austin in the 1990s. The thing is, all these guys started off with kind of an unsuccessful generic gimmick, and I think that's where we are right now, out of both Gunner and Crimson, the other guy who I think will be the big young star of the next generation
I could see it with Gunner but not Crimson. Gunner has some decent in ring skill and if polished a bit can be a really nice asset to TNA. He just needs to break away from Immortal. In fact, Immortal just needs to go because they do nothing but waste time IMO. I haven't seen as much potential from Crimson as i have with Gunner.

Styles

Post by Styles » Aug 8th, '11, 01:31

Big Red Machine wrote:I think he is good, and TNA is doing a good job of building him up. As for Bob-O's comment about names: sometimes that holds true and sometimes it doesn't. It almost always seems weird for someone with no first of last name. With Gunner, though, it is an easy fix: Just add a last name.
I agree with this statement.
bob is correct, but when in wwe terms has 'cm punk' been a good world champion name?
sometimes it doesnt sound right first time or even 40th time, sometimes it just becomes right.

I too (now that its mentioned) think gunner could do with maybe a last name. i like the thinking behind his name (former army gunner) if only his former partner wasn't called Murphy, because Gunner Murphy is a pretty cool name that suits him.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 8th, '11, 03:03

Styles wrote: I too (now that its mentioned) think gunner could do with maybe a last name. i like the thinking behind his name (former army gunner) if only his former partner wasn't called Murphy, because Gunner Murphy is a pretty cool name that suits him.
It would be an awesome name

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Styles

Post by Styles » Aug 8th, '11, 03:06

Big Red Machine wrote:
Styles wrote: I too (now that its mentioned) think gunner could do with maybe a last name. i like the thinking behind his name (former army gunner) if only his former partner wasn't called Murphy, because Gunner Murphy is a pretty cool name that suits him.
but then you could probably get away with something close like Gunner Andrews or Gunner Davis

Styles

Post by Styles » Aug 8th, '11, 06:28

Styles wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
but then you could probably get away with something close like Gunner Andrews or Gunner Davis
or my personal favourite, Gunner TakeYouToAGayBarGayBarGayBar