2 cents: WWE "Creative"

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
badnewzxl

2 cents: WWE "Creative"

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 4th, '11, 17:45

From the letdowns of this years WM to Power to the People to Punk's promo last week, do you folks think that WWE Creative (and maybe even VKM himself) has finally realized that they do NOT know what the wrestling fans truly want/expect from the number one wrestling promotion in the world?

Your thoughts?

Big Red Machine

Re: 2 cents: WWE "Creative"

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 4th, '11, 17:56

The problem that WWE creative suffers from is a lack of vision. They have no idea what the hell they want to do. They do not do anything that even resembles planning far in advance. Taking the EWA for example... we have the developments for our major angles planned out for at least the next five or six shows. We know where we want to get, and most of how we are going to get there. And that is an E-FED!

WWE is a multi-million dollar company... and yet... their plans change on a whim! They don't know what will be on the PPV or who will until the day before, at best!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jul 4th, '11, 18:06

One of the things that I've learned from former WWE Head Of Creative, Dave Lagana's podcasts, and from his long two part interview with Powerslam magazine regarding his time in WWE.

When you're in WWE, you're inside the wrestling bubble. You know what Vince wants to see, you know what the other guys wants to see, and if you want to keep your job, that's all that matters. You're on the road with the rest of the company, and you don't have a chance to see what the fans want because you don't get a chance to hear from the fans.

Another one of Lagana's little gems of wisdom is that no matter what that fuckface Laurinaitis says, creative ALWAYS has something for you. The creative teams come up with stuff that the smarks would LOVE, because the WWE creative team consists of smarks like us and smarks like Lagana. However, the stuff that the smarks in creative come up with that we would love to see, Vince rejects, because Vince's image of pro wrestling hasn't evolved with the rest of the world's image of pro wrestling.

It's all Vince. Creative feed him the idead (good and bad), and he picks the ones he likes, whether it's the right choice or not.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 5th, '11, 12:49

actually, i think there's two things broken with WWE Creative.

1. For the last 10 yrs, big name wrestlers have been getting injured like crazy, and we've seen big plans go directly to the trash because of this. It's understandable that the writers nor vince want to get into big long complex storylines with the risk of things changing half way. I'm actually surprised they decided to go with Cena/Rock with one year of planning. That's why i think they don't have that long perspective they used to have.

2. Politics, WWE Creative is a game of politics. If the writers like you, they'll get you stories that will get you on TV, if they don't like you, easy "Creative has nothing for you", the easy way out of things. If Vince, or Trips, or HBK, Taker, etc likes you, you'll get a push, see how it works out (see McIntyre, Sheamus, Sin Cara), but if you're a Heyman guy, a JR guy, a Malenko guy, chances are you'll be given a shot, work out for a while, bust your ass and maybe then we'll push you.

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jul 5th, '11, 13:25

cero2k wrote:actually, i think there's two things broken with WWE Creative.

1. For the last 10 yrs, big name wrestlers have been getting injured like crazy, and we've seen big plans go directly to the trash because of this. It's understandable that the writers nor vince want to get into big long complex storylines with the risk of things changing half way. I'm actually surprised they decided to go with Cena/Rock with one year of planning. That's why i think they don't have that long perspective they used to have.

2. Politics, WWE Creative is a game of politics. If the writers like you, they'll get you stories that will get you on TV, if they don't like you, easy "Creative has nothing for you", the easy way out of things. If Vince, or Trips, or HBK, Taker, etc likes you, you'll get a push, see how it works out (see McIntyre, Sheamus, Sin Cara), but if you're a Heyman guy, a JR guy, a Malenko guy, chances are you'll be given a shot, work out for a while, bust your a** and maybe then we'll push you.
as far as that second point goes, that's all vince. creative write for everyone, and if vince likes them their stories get through

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 5th, '11, 13:37

kiel297 wrote:
cero2k wrote:actually, i think there's two things broken with WWE Creative.

2. Politics, WWE Creative is a game of politics. If the writers like you, they'll get you stories that will get you on TV, if they don't like you, easy "Creative has nothing for you", the easy way out of things. If Vince, or Trips, or HBK, Taker, etc likes you, you'll get a push, see how it works out (see McIntyre, Sheamus, Sin Cara), but if you're a Heyman guy, a JR guy, a Malenko guy, chances are you'll be given a shot, work out for a while, bust your a** and maybe then we'll push you.
as far as that second point goes, that's all vince. creative write for everyone, and if vince likes them their stories get through
It's not only Vince, if Laurenitis doesn't like you, you'll still won't make it. if you get in trouble with Taker or Cena, you're pretty much screwed backstage too. And it comes down to the writers too, if they don't like you or don't give a damn about you, they're not gonna try hard to get you over, they'll write a feud with Hornswoggle and send it in.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 5th, '11, 19:36

cero2k wrote: It's not only Vince, if Laurenitis doesn't like you, you'll still won't make it. if you get in trouble with Taker or Cena, you're pretty much screwed backstage too. And it comes down to the writers too, if they don't like you or don't give a damn about you, they're not gonna try hard to get you over, they'll write a feud with Hornswoggle and send it in.
Replace Cena with Orton. When was the last time you heard anyone talking about Cena being angry at anyone?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 5th, '11, 23:09

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote: It's not only Vince, if Laurenitis doesn't like you, you'll still won't make it. if you get in trouble with Taker or Cena, you're pretty much screwed backstage too. And it comes down to the writers too, if they don't like you or don't give a damn about you, they're not gonna try hard to get you over, they'll write a feud with Hornswoggle and send it in.
Replace Cena with Orton. When was the last time you heard anyone talking about Cena being angry at anyone?
point taken, but you get the idea

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 6th, '11, 10:20

My feeling is that WWE "Creative" just isn't creative.

After WCW & ECW closed their doors and WWE swept everyone up, VKM and co. didn't have to come up with brand new characters or interesting storylines bc they were able to sell ppvs based on established talent. They had almost everybody that the fans of the 90's were familiar with and loved.

Around 2006, they looked around and realized that the fans had become somewhat bored with a lot of the established guys and WWE hadn't gotten anyone new over except Orton, Edge, and Cena, so the writers actually had to start writing compelling storylines again. But when they went back to it, it seemed those writers were totally out of touch with the audience. Spirit Squad, WWECW, the McMahon death angle, DX revival parts three and four, and other such ridiculousness went on for WAAAY too long and the fans didn't give a crap about any of it for more than a tenth of each angles tenure. Vince, HHH, and others are grossly out of touch with the fans, and they try to get around it using bandwagon propaganda like saying "the WWE Universe" as if the fan base speaks in unison (which is disproven every time John Cena comes down to the ring to a mix a cheers and jeers). They had their PG era, where they were able to pretty much tell the fans to cheer this or that, but now that the backlash has come (finally) the guys who are in charge don't know what to do bc they aren't use to listening to the ppl; they're use to listening to VKM. This past Mondays Raw furthers my point; the altercation between Cena & VKM stunk up the heat Punk had garnered. It would have been much better if Vince told Cena: "I want you to HURT CM Punk, or you're fired" then Cena would have a real moral dilemma on his hands. As it stands now, either Punk is leaving, or both Punk and Cena will be leaving; which won't happen.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 6th, '11, 10:29

badnewzxl wrote:. This past Mondays Raw furthers my point; the altercation between Cena & VKM stunk up the heat Punk had garnered. It would have been much better if Vince told Cena: "I want you to HURT CM Punk, or you're fired" then Cena would have a real moral dilemma on his hands. As it stands now, either Punk is leaving, or both Punk and Cena will be leaving; which won't happen.
But that doesn't fit in with the Vince we have seen over the past bunch of years. As Vince stated, he doesn't care too much that Punk is leaving. What is important to him is protecting his assets. He doesn't want anything to happen to his title, and he doesn't want Punk to hurt his top star on the way out. The Cena is fired stip makes perfect sense because Cena would have let Vince down AND hurt the company by doing so, so it would make sense for Vince, with what we know about his character, to fire Cena for it. Vince also knows that this is positive motivation for Cena, as we saw last year, Cena loves the WWE, and not being a part of it would break his heart.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jul 6th, '11, 13:43

I'm with BRM. I also have a feeling that Vince might try costing Punk the match. In the event that happens, I think it would be good for Cena to stop Vince (Which would be likely considering Cena and Punk showed respect for each other at a live event)

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 6th, '11, 17:35

Big Red Machine wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:. This past Mondays Raw furthers my point; the altercation between Cena & VKM stunk up the heat Punk had garnered. It would have been much better if Vince told Cena: "I want you to HURT CM Punk, or you're fired" then Cena would have a real moral dilemma on his hands. As it stands now, either Punk is leaving, or both Punk and Cena will be leaving; which won't happen.
But that doesn't fit in with the Vince we have seen over the past bunch of years. As Vince stated, he doesn't care too much that Punk is leaving. What is important to him is protecting his assets. He doesn't want anything to happen to his title, and he doesn't want Punk to hurt his top star on the way out. The Cena is fired stip makes perfect sense because Cena would have let Vince down AND hurt the company by doing so, so it would make sense for Vince, with what we know about his character, to fire Cena for it. Vince also knows that this is positive motivation for Cena, as we saw last year, Cena loves the WWE, and not being a part of it would break his heart.
I see what you're saying; I just think it would be more compelling to give Cena the option of doing something he would morally object to doing for the sake of the WWE or taking a moral stand and losing the thing that means the most to him. Last year, they kinda teased us with it when he had to ref the Barrett/Orton Match at Survivor Series, but they almost immediately ruined it by reinstating him before the next PPV even happened. Cena needing to step up an deliver for the sake of the WWE is the same thing we see from him time and time again; it's stale, so you gotta add more spice to it.

Plus, I think it would make sense for Vince to want Punk taken out considering what Punk said about the McMahons and his threats to take the title to other promotions (cuz based on history, this is VKM's greatest fear)...