2 Cents: VICE"s Dark Side of Wrestling

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
cero2k
Site Admin

2 Cents: VICE"s Dark Side of Wrestling

Post by cero2k » Apr 16th, '19, 10:50

I watched the Randy Savage + Liz episode and the Bruiser Brody episodes during the weekend. (They're on viceland.com fyi)

I really really liked the way they go about telling the stories, I liked the people they interviewed for the most part. For instance, in the Savage one, Linda Hogan tells most of the story about Liz, which I never considered, she would be a person with soo much history knowledge, she actually showed tons and tons of personal backstage photos.

I think it's one of those that you take like a grain of salt because we all know some wrestlers are just full of BS, like in the Brody one, Tony Atlas and Abdullah are telling part of the story, and you can point out when Atlas just portrays himself as a superhero and Abdullah keeps dodging his involvement.

So far I really really recommend these.

Big Red Machine

Re: 2 Cents: VICE"s Dark Side of Wrestling

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 16th, '19, 11:15

Dave said the Montreal Screwjob one was terrible. Basically that it was more of an attempt at a dramatization than a documentary.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 16th, '19, 11:29

Big Red Machine wrote: ↑Apr 16th, '19, 11:15 Dave said the Montreal Screwjob one was terrible. Basically that it was more of an attempt at a dramatization than a documentary.
You hate that guy though and everything about how he reviews things though so πŸ’
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Apr 16th, '19, 11:30

I'll second that. I haven't watched the Savage one yet, but even knowing the the Brody story inside and out, I really enjoyed their presentation of it. I didn't realize they were on their website, I'll for sure be checking out Macho Man's tonight. Apparently the mastermind of the Screwjob is going to reveal himself in the Screwjob one, like, the dude even Meltzer won't name after all this time... it should be a good time.

But that's what they're doing, they're taking these stories like Brody and The Screwjob, these things that we're already well aware of, but putting the spins like Linda Hogan's take on them and making them more interesting.
cero2k wrote: ↑Apr 16th, '19, 10:50 some wrestlers are just full of BS, like in the Brody one, Tony Atlas and Abdullah are telling part of the story
To be fair, at the end they did say that they reached out to the Colon camp to no response. Which, I mean... makes sense.

I got a chuckle out of Dutch Mantel's take on it all...
"Yeah! I mean, I was there... I didn't see shit. You hear me!? I. DIDN'T. SEE. SHIT! But yeah... crazy night that was... all the blood and the yellin'... I was way over there though... didn't see a thing..."
cero2k wrote: ↑Apr 16th, '19, 10:50 Atlas just portrays himself as a superhero
Caught on to this too. Every time Atlas talks about this the fish gets bigger and bigger.

"Punched that wall so hard I went in up to my elbow! I swear to god! All the way up to my elbow!"
First of all, Tony... that's white man's stuff, you leave the wall punching to us, ok? Second of all, no you didn't.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 16th, '19, 11:39

KILLdozer wrote: ↑Apr 16th, '19, 11:29
Big Red Machine wrote: ↑Apr 16th, '19, 11:15 Dave said the Montreal Screwjob one was terrible. Basically that it was more of an attempt at a dramatization than a documentary.
You hate that guy though and everything about how he reviews things though so πŸ’
There is a difference between reviews and news, and this is a story that Dave was 100% on top of.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 16th, '19, 11:44

I take it they interview Hebner and Hall, but one one from Bret Hart's side.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 18th, '19, 11:43

Just finished the Montreal Screwjob episode (up on viceland.com), I thought the storytelling was a quick notes version of the whole story, so it's really hard to grab on to motivations and real feelings just in under an hour. I don't want to spoil anything of what they focused on or who they benefit on it, but i thought they tried to play it safe and keep it right in the middle depending on what part of the story they were telling.

only thing i didn't like is that they grabbed a group of people that we all know they hate each other, so every chance they get, they're shitting on each other, and at the end, there's a lot of food there for the conspiracy theorists.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 18th, '19, 12:26

cero2k wrote: ↑Apr 18th, '19, 11:43 Just finished the Montreal Screwjob episode (up on viceland.com), I thought the storytelling was a quick notes version of the whole story, so it's really hard to grab on to motivations and real feelings just in under an hour. I don't want to spoil anything of what they focused on or who they benefit on it, but i thought they tried to play it safe and keep it right in the middle depending on what part of the story they were telling.

only thing i didn't like is that they grabbed a group of people that we all know they hate each other, so every chance they get, they're shitting on each other, and at the end, there's a lot of food there for the conspiracy theorists.
I don't know why anybody is still trying to keep it in the dark or hide the truth. It's been more than 20 years. Just get it out there and over with already lol.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 18th, '19, 13:06

KILLdozer wrote: ↑Apr 18th, '19, 12:26
I don't know why anybody is still trying to keep it in the dark or hide the truth. It's been more than 20 years. Just get it out there and over with already lol.
no one is hiding anything anymore, now everyone wants to get credit for it.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Apr 18th, '19, 18:31

cero2k wrote: ↑Apr 18th, '19, 11:43 there's a lot of food there for the conspiracy theorists.
Hey! That's ME!

I just want to hear Bret say he was in on it. I want to be right about this SOOOO bad.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 23rd, '19, 09:15

Metlzer and Alvarez are RAVING that the Von Erich's episode from May 1st is one of the best documentaries ever

also, i'd say relevant

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 3rd, '19, 12:42

Just saw the Von Erichs episode. It's amazing, 5 stars, really really recommend

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/th ... dec795136b

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 20th, '20, 12:33

just watched the Owen Hart episode. It's heart-wrenching. nothing new, but Martha Hart is amazing and Vince and Dunn are the scum of the earth.

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » May 20th, '20, 16:36

cero2k wrote: ↑May 20th, '20, 12:33 just watched the Owen Hart episode. It's heart-wrenching. nothing new, but Martha Hart is amazing and Vince and Dunn are the scum of the earth.
I've been watching season two weekly. The Owen episode was the frist one to make me well up. It was just so heart breaking!
Personally I didn't know the Hart family didn't support Martha Hart afterwards and some actively worked against her. The strength of that woman to keep it together for her kids and for Owen's memory is pretty amazing.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 20th, '20, 17:38

Yeah watching Owen Hart now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 20th, '20, 19:45

cero2k wrote: ↑May 20th, '20, 12:33 just watched the Owen Hart episode. It's heart-wrenching. nothing new, but Martha Hart is amazing and Vince and Dunn are the scum of the earth.
I haven't watched it. What did Dunn do to become a target here? The usual targets for this one are McMahon and Russo.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 20th, '20, 20:25

Big Red Machine wrote: ↑May 20th, '20, 19:45
I haven't watched it. What did Dunn do to become a target here? The usual targets for this one are McMahon and Russo.
it's during the JR interview, he was completely no-chill. Here's the exchange somewhat

JR: Kevin, we don't know what's going on
Dunn: He's dead, and you're back in 10, 9, 8, 7

It's mostly a lot of this was unnecessary, this was careless, the show didn't need to go on. Then they get into Vince suing Martha and all faith is lost. Russo wasn't mentioned at all

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 20th, '20, 20:26

Earth Child wrote: ↑May 20th, '20, 16:36
I've been watching season two weekly. The Owen episode was the frist one to make me well up. It was just so heart breaking!
Personally I didn't know the Hart family didn't support Martha Hart afterwards and some actively worked against her. The strength of that woman to keep it together for her kids and for Owen's memory is pretty amazing.
i legit felt something when Jim Cornette's voice breaks, I don't think i had ever seen that man experience feelings.

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » May 20th, '20, 23:33

cero2k wrote: ↑May 20th, '20, 20:26
Earth Child wrote: ↑May 20th, '20, 16:36
i legit felt something when Jim Cornette's voice breaks, I don't think i had ever seen that man experience feelings.
Yes! I thought the same thing.
And JR describing the event from his and King's point of view. It gives me the chills

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 21st, '20, 01:48

Pretty sure Martha practically implied it was on purpose at least twice...