2 Cents: Daniel Bryan's Un-Retirement

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
cero2k
Site Admin

2 Cents: Daniel Bryan's Un-Retirement

Post by cero2k » Jun 28th, '18, 10:53

So? How's the Daniel Bryan return working out for you? Arguably one of the top names and wrestlers in WWE right now and since he came back, he had a terrible feud with Cass and now is back as Team Hell No, far far away from the main event scene?

Like it? Complete waste? Best for Business?

Big Red Machine

Re: 2 Cents: Daniel Bryan's Un-Retirement

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 28th, '18, 11:18

I've liked it so far. Has he been away from the main event scene? Yes. But if your ultimate goal is to but the belt back on him at a big moment, then you need to do that. The story of Bryan climbing back to the top, culminating in him finally getting his Royal Rumble win and then regaining the WWE World Heavyweight Title at WrestleMania, works better if you've kept him away from the main event scene so that you can 1) make it feel like an actual journey where he is climbing his way up again, and 2) not have him fail a bunch of times.
In the mean time, he's had some awesome matches that have been very different from other WWE matches and is a guy who can bring out the best in a guy like Big E. who has talent but doesn't ever get the chance to show it in singles matches because WWE's inflexible way of thinking prevents tag team guys from being allowed to shine in singles matches. Moving him to the tag team division for now still lets him be on top of the division he is in while still keeping him away from the ultimate goal, and reforming Team Hell No gives the tag team division a much-needed new team in the mix.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 28th, '18, 11:21

for me i just feel he is kinda on borrowed time and kinda want to see him just become the dream match guy, or at least he should be for this whole year until he gets to the Rumble, and you know what, just go with it at RR and WM.

This feels like his first run where we know he should be champion, but backstage, he's getting put on pretty much the same Wyatt's feud

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jun 29th, '18, 07:24

Last I knew, he hasn't renewed his contract yet. I get vibe that they're using him perfectly with the worst case scenario in mind. Why commit to him when he's not committing to them? Get the most out of him without building the show around him.

If he signs, I'd expect AJ/Bryan... if he stalls, more Hell No. I'd prefer the former, but all things considered I understand.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 29th, '18, 08:47

Bob-O wrote: Jun 29th, '18, 07:24 Last I knew, he hasn't renewed his contract yet. I get vibe that they're using him perfectly with the worst case scenario in mind. Why commit to him when he's not committing to them? Get the most out of him without building the show around him.

If he signs, I'd expect AJ/Bryan... if he stalls, more Hell No. I'd prefer the former, but all things considered I understand.
I hadn't thought of this, but it's a really important point. If they tried to go some combination of these routes and giving us all of the dream matches (AJ, Nakamura, Joe, Jeff... I'd even love to see him against Rusev or Kofi just to see what he could do with them) plus the match with Miz and treated him like you'd normally treat someone on the way out and had him put everyone over, people would be furious. This tag team solution is a good way around that.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jun 29th, '18, 09:51

He's turned the chicken s*it the WWE has given him and made the world's most delicious chicken salad. Plus the crowds love him so I guess it's best for business
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 29th, '18, 12:59

Bob-O wrote: Jun 29th, '18, 07:24 Last I knew, he hasn't renewed his contract yet. I get vibe that they're using him perfectly with the worst case scenario in mind. Why commit to him when he's not committing to them? Get the most out of him without building the show around him.

This is a double edged sword tho. If he were to fail and see that, he could take it I came back for this? I'm just gonna go and wrestle okada instead.

I like to believe that he is smart and knows that if he waits until the last second, he can get a Brock Lesnar paycheck

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jun 29th, '18, 21:16

cero2k wrote: Jun 29th, '18, 12:59 This is a double edged sword tho. If he were to fail and see that, he could take it I came back for this? I'm just gonna go and wrestle okada instead.

I like to believe that he is smart and knows that if he waits until the last second, he can get a Brock Lesnar paycheck
He's not Brock Lesnar, though. Vince McMahon does not like Daniel Bryan. I think Vince and Co are highly irritated that he get's over so easily. His fanbase highjacked a Royal Rumble, ruined what should have been a huge Hollywood connection in Batista, essentially forcing their hands into handing him the title and an entire Wrestlemania, they handed Dragon the keys to the company and his fans returned the favor by NOT BUYING ANYTHING and chanting for CM Punk instead.

We can critique his booking, or what we'd have done instead, or the skew The Network put on the "success scale" all day long, but had he brought in the buys, had he sold the merchandise, had he brought in the ratings, I'm sure it'd be a much bigger issue to WWE that Dragon was holding out.

There's lots of money to be had with him. Bryan vs AJ, Bryan vs Nak... hell, the ONLY reason I can think of that they would have him work with Cass over Almas is that they want to keep him on the "entertainment" side of things until he commits. If he decides to walk, he does the Okada stuff, he works the rust out on New Japan's dime, he reminds the Dragon Faithful of how good he is, WWE swoops in and snags back their international superstar and flips Omega the bird.