Did You Know: Lars Sullivan...

Forum rules
All Topics in this subsection must start with the prefix "did you know" followed by the name of the topic.

e.g.
Did You Know...The Rock
Bob-O

Did You Know: Lars Sullivan...

Post by Bob-O » Nov 25th, '18, 08:18

...skipped his girlfriend's birthday in 2005 in favor of attending ECW One Night Stand?

He bought her home a t-shirt as an apology, which she declined, and it was the last time they spoke.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Did You Know: Lars Sullivan...

Post by cero2k » Nov 25th, '18, 08:44

ECW ONS 05 is one of the the best PPVs in the last 20 years, I would have done the same.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 25th, '18, 10:50

Yeah, it's a pretty forgotten excellent show. The only thing that drags it down is the time wasted on the forced Raw/SD heel involvement eating up time during the show
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 25th, '18, 11:00

...is only 6'3?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 25th, '18, 14:14

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 25th, '18, 10:50 Yeah, it's a pretty forgotten excellent show. The only thing that drags it down is the time wasted on the forced Raw/SD heel involvement eating up time during the show
I can see where you're coming from, but IMO it's this involvement that made the show timeless. You don't need to know 20 years of wrestling history to put that show on and know what ECW was and what made the show extra special. Half of the appeal of the brand was they were anti-establishment. ECW was always about "Us vs Them", the cult following that went with it, and without all the Raw/SD stuff a new viewer might not "get it". I thought they did a nice job of putting that vibe out there for a night.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 25th, '18, 14:47

Bob-O wrote: Nov 25th, '18, 14:14
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 25th, '18, 10:50 Yeah, it's a pretty forgotten excellent show. The only thing that drags it down is the time wasted on the forced Raw/SD heel involvement eating up time during the show
I can see where you're coming from, but IMO it's this involvement that made the show timeless. You don't need to know 20 years of wrestling history to put that show on and know what ECW was and what made the show extra special. Half of the appeal of the brand was they were anti-establishment. ECW was always about "Us vs Them", the cult following that went with it, and without all the Raw/SD stuff a new viewer might not "get it". I thought they did a nice job of putting that vibe out there for a night.
Maybe. In the era that I first saw One Night Stand, it was impossible to conceive that anyone had possibly watched the show without first seeing at least Rise and Fall of ECW, if not also Forever Hardcore. And also impossible to conceive that someone had seen either of those documentaries and not immediately tried to find as much ECW stuff as they could on YouTube and Daily Motion.

As a side note, everyone should go watch Barbed Wire City. It's basically Forever Hardcore, but actually done well. It's extremely compelling.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 25th, '18, 16:06

I literally did the impossible stuff you mentioned back then. Never saw that older stuff, and didn't look the other up....

Well now...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 28th, '18, 09:23

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 25th, '18, 14:47 it was impossible to conceive that anyone had possibly watched the show without first seeing at least Rise and Fall of ECW, if not also Forever Hardcore.
lol I don't think I've seen either one (~maybe~ Forever Hardcore... I feel like that's one that I say I haven't seen, but if I went to watch it I'd realize I had), but I was really into ECW in '97 and '98. I think to this day I've still been to more ECW shows than any other promotion. I like the way I remember it, and the 'Rise And Fall' documentaries always make me sad.
KILLdozer wrote: Nov 25th, '18, 16:06 I literally did the impossible stuff you mentioned back then. Never saw that older stuff, and didn't look the other up....

Well now...
Ok, so, how validated am I here? Do you think the Bischoff/JBL stuff set a good tone for what we were celebrating, or did you feel it was unnecessary?

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 28th, '18, 09:29

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 25th, '18, 14:47
Maybe. In the era that I first saw One Night Stand, it was impossible to conceive that anyone had possibly watched the show without first seeing at least Rise and Fall of ECW, if not also Forever Hardcore. And also impossible to conceive that someone had seen either of those documentaries and not immediately tried to find as much ECW stuff as they could on YouTube and Daily Motion.
back then I was still living in Mexico, so i couldn't get my hands on the R&F of ECW or Forever Hardcore so easily, but the PPVs I could get via satellite, so I indeed watched the ONS before all the docs. I had watched a lot of ECW through pirated tapes or Kazaa