A Quick ROH/New Japan Idea on Cody/Daniels/G1 (and some others)

The sky is the limit
Big Red Machine

A Quick ROH/New Japan Idea on Cody/Daniels/G1 (and some others)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 9th, '17, 14:10

Someone on ROHWorld brought up the obvious problem of New Japan's top guy beating ROH's newly-crowned top guy clean in the middle of the ring, and on US TV no less, and how we all know that Okada won't ever wind up getting the ROH World Title shot he should logically get from this win because New Japan will never let him return the favor, so I got thinking as to how to get to the obvious interconnected directions of the two promotions as regards Cody and Omega and how Okada and the ROH World Title play into it, but without jobbing out the ROH World Champion for no good reason, so I came up with the following:

It seems to me like it would have made more sense to build Cody up a bit more and do the ROH World Title change at the Global Wars UK shows, which would allow Daniels to at least have a respectable run with the belt. That way you could also have Daniels in the G1 in Block A where you can easily have him come in a respectable tie for second with Tanahashi (let's not pretend it's not obvious that Naito is winning that block) and then your story going into the UK shows is that Daniels was worn down from the G1 and Cody wasn't to protect Daniels so you can build to a rematch at DBD. This way you still have the situation in Bullet Club where Omega isn't a world champion but Cody is, but Daniels gets a longer reign, we make the ROH World Title look better in Japan due to Daniels excellent performance in the G1 and use Daniels' G1 losses to someone like Ishii or Ibushi to set up ROH World Title defenses for Cody, either in the US or in New Japan (a Cody win over Ibushi could add some fuel to a possible Ibushi vs. Omega Tokyo Dome match because Omega has never beaten Ibushi), and the ROH World Champion doesn't have to go out and do a clean job for the IWGP Heavyweight Champion, and on US TV no less.

Thoughts?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: A Quick ROH/New Japan Idea on Cody/Daniels/G1 (and some others)

Post by cero2k » Jul 11th, '17, 23:05

if they're really going in full with Cody and making him a 'respectable' heel champion, then you're way was a good way to achieve that. If they're gonna have Cody just be an undeserving diva, then I don't think a first match loss vs Okada is that bad, if no one in ROH wants Cody to be the champ, this loss is straight reasons to have everyone in the locker room wanting to take that title away asap.

only problem with your idea is that you send the ROH champ for a whole month out to Japan. I can think of a million things to book around while he's gone, you can come up with another million. Delirious, I'm not sure if he can.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 11th, '17, 23:29

cero2k wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 23:05 if they're really going in full with Cody and making him a 'respectable' heel champion, then you're way was a good way to achieve that. If they're gonna have Cody just be an undeserving diva, then I don't think a first match loss vs Okada is that bad, if no one in ROH wants Cody to be the champ, this loss is straight reasons to have everyone in the locker room wanting to take that title away asap.
It still doesn't look good for the ROH World Champion to do a clean job to someone else's champion. You can make Cody look like he's not deserving by having him need to cheat to win. Having him job clean to Okada just says "NEW JAPAN IS BETTER THAN ROH." Which is true, but that doesn't mean ROH shouldn't be trying to at least pretend that they're an equal partner in this. You don't see CMLL's champion doing jobs like this.
cero2k wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 23:05 only problem with your idea is that you send the ROH champ for a whole month out to Japan. I can think of a million things to book around while he's gone, you can come up with another million. Delirious, I'm not sure if he can.
ROH pretty much never runs any shows during the G1 already, so this wouldn't really matter.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 12th, '17, 11:06

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 23:29

It still doesn't look good for the ROH World Champion to do a clean job to someone else's champion. You can make Cody look like he's not deserving by having him need to cheat to win. Having him job clean to Okada just says "NEW JAPAN IS BETTER THAN ROH." Which is true, but that doesn't mean ROH shouldn't be trying to at least pretend that they're an equal partner in this. You don't see CMLL's champion doing jobs like this.
exactly, and that's my whole point, this loss makes all of ROH look bad, so it's not that Cody is undeserving, it's that he's making ROH bad for not taking things seriously and being all focused on showing off (which he did TONS during that match). It shouldn't be seen as ROH world champion lost, but rather Cody representing ROH lost.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 12th, '17, 14:46

cero2k wrote: Jul 12th, '17, 11:06
Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 23:29

exactly, and that's my whole point, this loss makes all of ROH look bad, so it's not that Cody is undeserving, it's that he's making ROH bad for not taking things seriously and being all focused on showing off (which he did TONS during that match). It shouldn't be seen as ROH world champion lost, but rather Cody representing ROH lost.
But that's not the angle that ROH is trying to do. Their angle is that ROH management doesn't want Cody to be champion because he's a "free agent." They're not pushing that Cody is a showoff or that Cody isn't taking things seriously.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 12th, '17, 19:09

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 12th, '17, 14:46
But that's not the angle that ROH is trying to do. Their angle is that ROH management doesn't want Cody to be champion because he's a "free agent." They're not pushing that Cody is a showoff or that Cody isn't taking things seriously.
which is a stupid angle if you ask me, the whole ROH thing is to have the best wrestler be a the champion, signed or not. It's a complete contradiction to why they give all those title shots to guests or why are they cool with KUSHIDA being champion too.

So if we're gonna fantasy book, may as well fix that one detail too.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 12th, '17, 19:40

cero2k wrote: Jul 12th, '17, 19:09
Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 12th, '17, 14:46
which is a stupid angle if you ask me, the whole ROH thing is to have the best wrestler be a the champion, signed or not. It's a complete contradiction to why they give all those title shots to guests or why are they cool with KUSHIDA being champion too.

So if we're gonna fantasy book, may as well fix that one detail too.
You could argue that New Japan guys would be forced to cooperate by New Japan whereas "free agent" Cody can't be. But you're right that it's a stupid angle. If you read their website it gets even stupider.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation