BRM Reviews the 5/25/2012 Smackdown

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 5/25/2012 Smackdown

Post by Big Red Machine » May 28th, '12, 21:56

OPENING SEGMENT- eh. I usually love segments like these, but this one just felt extremely flat. Like the guys and Eve were just going through the motions.

CHRISTIAN vs. HUNICO (w/Camacho)- 2/10
Standard Hunico match (meaning that he loses quickly, but not in a squash). I am fine with Christian having a new finisher, but I think that doing it after the Unprettier is a bad idea. It doesn’t let us see how strong that move is because it is being done after his old finish, and it makes Christian looking like a jerk because he is going for overkill.

CODY RHODES PROMO- good

TITUS O’NEIL & DARRENN YOUNG BACKSTAGE WITH THE USOS- okay

THE USOS vs. TITUS O’NEIL & DARREN YOUNG- 3/10
Okay… how about some actual advancement of something?

SIN CARA HYPE PACKAGE- they can show the same footage of Sin Cara doing flips and spins as much as they want, but I am just past the point of being able to be excited by it. Flop of the decade.

HANDICAP MATCH: Bryan Edwards & Kevin Bendl vs. Ryback- squash.
Once again, can we please actually go somewhere? At least Ryback looked a bit more impressive here, but I’m still not interested in it at all.

SANTINO MARELLA vs. RICARDO RODRIGUEZ- okay comedy match, but it was a much needed break from the dull monotony we had been getting so far tonight.

SHEAMUS PROMO- not very good. Didn’t Punk just do this a few weeks ago?

SHEAMUS vs. JACK SWAGGER (w/Dolph Ziggler & Vickie Guerrero)- 5.75/10
Definitely made me want to see these two in a longer match at some point down the road.

DAMIEN SANDOWN vs. YOSHI TATSU- GREAT squash.
People care a whole hell of a lot more about Damien Sandow right now than they do about Titus & O’Neil and Ryback combined because has actually been in an angle that has moved forward
Sandow might well be my favorite gimmick in WWE at the moment. PLEASE REMAIN SILENT WHILE I AM SPEAKING. THANK YOU.” With no pause between the sentences. I LOVED it. Sandow just absolutely kicked ass here, both in the ring and on the mic. I love the way that his character shows through in the ring “please do you job, referee!” but always saying please. I LOVE IT!

NO WAY OUT PROMO- I’m calling BS. No way does heel Dragon stop to untie someone tied to the train-tracks. I stand by my previous comments that this is just some creepy gender-bender Dudley Do-Right.

BIG SHOW PROMO- okay

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR A WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH AT NO WAY OUT: Randy Orton vs. Kane vs. Alberto Del Rio (w/Ricardo Rodriguez)- 7/10
Good booking here, it drags Kane even deeper into the Dragon-Punk feud which will help keep that fresh, and gives Del Rio the title shot at No Way Out while still keeping Randy hot to build to Orton vs. Sheamus at Summer Slam.

Overall, the first third of this show was entirely skippanle, but everything else made for a good TV show.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 5/25/2012 Smackdown

Post by cero2k » May 30th, '12, 13:14

Big Red Machine wrote:
Once again, can we please actually go somewhere? At least Ryback looked a bit more impressive here, but I’m still not interested in it at all.
ricky reyes dude!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 30th, '12, 13:17

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
ricky reyes dude!
Ricky Reyes has not been a cause for excitement since early 2006.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 30th, '12, 13:23

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
ricky reyes dude!
Ricky Reyes has not been a cause for excitement since early 2006.
lol

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 30th, '12, 16:06

Standard Hunico match (meaning that he loses quickly, but not in a squash). I am fine with Christian having a new finisher, but I think that doing it after the Unprettier is a bad idea. It doesn’t let us see how strong that move is because it is being done after his old finish, and it makes Christian looking like a jerk because he is going for overkill.
But Christian IS a jerk, lol. I like what Cody said about Christian during his match on Raw this week. "He's stuck between Classic and Contemporary," GREAT assertion.

as far as his more goes, he used the frogsplash as his finisher in TNA pretty regularly. Plus, using the unprettier as a set up is perfect logic; it ensures that the opponent will stay down for the splash. It is an overkill, but is that really outside the realm of Christian?

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 30th, '12, 17:06

badnewzxl wrote:

as far as his more goes, he used the frogsplash as his finisher in TNA pretty regularly. Plus, using the unprettier as a set up is perfect logic; it ensures that the opponent will stay down for the splash. It is an overkill, but is that really outside the realm of Christian?
i was actually wondering, has he never used it in wwe?? when i saw it on OTL, Cole et al were all wetting themselves for a "new" move and i was like "wut?"

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 30th, '12, 17:11

badnewzxl wrote:
But Christian IS a jerk, lol. I like what Cody said about Christian during his match on Raw this week. "He's stuck between Classic and Contemporary," GREAT assertion.

I don't remember him using it in TNA too often. I remember him using it, but only a few times.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 30th, '12, 20:29

Big Red Machine wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:

I don't remember him using it in TNA too often. I remember him using it, but only a few times.
I know he used it to defeat Abyss; the rest of the time he used it, but it wasn't his only finisher. Look back at some of his matches in his first year in TNA; he did it a lot.

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » May 31st, '12, 07:53

I recall Christian using the Frog Splash in TNA

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 31st, '12, 10:47

cero2k wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:

i was actually wondering, has he never used it in wwe?? when i saw it on OTL, Cole et al were all wetting themselves for a "new" move and i was like "wut?"
According to wikipedia, he started using it as a tribute to Eddie, so he wouldn't have been din git in WWE.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation