BRM Reviews the 1/13/2012 Smackdown

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 1/13/2012 Smackdown

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 14th, '12, 18:10

OPENING SEGMENT- AWESOME! Henry was good in his role, and Dragon’s acting was AMAZING. He and Big Show are just putting on a clinic in this feud.

HEATH SLATER vs. JUSTIN GABRIEL- 3/10. This is the problem with Hornswoggle. They try to push HIM in a feud with wrestlers, rather than someone who could believably win. The way this should work is that Slater bullies Hornswoggle, Gabriel makes the save for him, and that leads to a feud between Slater and Gabriel. WWE makes the feud be between Slater and Hornswoggle, and it winds up not only with Hornswoggle going over, but it winds up looking like Gabriel can’t beat Slater without Hornswoggle’s help… and Slater is so bad he can be beaten by Hornswoggle, so what does that say about Gabriel.

CODY RHODES PROMO- great.

CODY RHODES vs. EZEKIEL JACKSON- 2/10. Someone as big as Zeke should not being losing this quickly.

DREW MCINTYRE & TEDDY LONG SEGMENT- good. A short and sweet refresher for those who might have missed the McIntyre angle the last few weeks.

DREW MCINTYRE vs. TED DIBIASE JR- 4.75/10. Did a good job of telling its story.

DRAGON & AJ BACKSTAGE- kind of awkward, but I’m sure it will play into things somehow.

SHEAMUS vs. JINDER MAHAL- 4.5/10. Sheamus decisively defeats Mahal for what seems like the tenth week in a row.

AJ, BIG SHOW, & DRAGON SEGMENT- oh. So that’s where that was going. This is still interesting, as there are a number of ways this could go. My money is on Dragon asking AJ to help him cheat. Not sure how she’ll react, though. I can see her doing it reluctantly, and him asking her to do it for a few weeks in a row, with Dragon treating the naïve AJ worse and worse until she finally stands up to him, costing him the title. I can also see Big Show accidentally hitting AJ during the match tonight, Show stopping to help her, but Dragon rolling him up for the pin.

SANTINO MARELLA vs. DAVID OTUNGA- 4/10, but this just felt fun. Otunga really needed this win.

BRODUS CLAY vs. TYSON KIDD- Great squash, but if you are going to have squash, use a jobber, not a member of the roster.

TAMINA vs. NATALYA- Squash. If you have to squash someone… GET A REAL JOBBER. Don’t go killing the credibility of someone on your roster!

WADE BARRETT PROMO- okay

NO DISQUALIFICATION, NO COUNT-OUT MATCH FOR THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Daniel Bryan(c) (w/AJ Lee) vs. The Big Show- No rating- okay segment. The stuff with AJ was great, and Dragon and Show still have me guessing as to who will turn heel and how. I can see Big Show snapping and going heel, and I can see Dragon becoming a manipulative jerk and going heel. Once again, I feel the need to compliment both men on their acting here.

Overall, a decent episode of Smackdown. The Dragon-Big Show angle (and AJ's involvement therein) continues to keep my interest as more and more possibilities open up each week.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

kiel297

Re: BRM Reviews the 1/13/2012 Smackdown

Post by kiel297 » Jan 15th, '12, 03:17

I'm confused. Where's your "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AJ!!!!!!!!"

Also, Tyson Kidd IS a jobber, and has been for a long time

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 15th, '12, 03:53

kiel297 wrote:I'm confused. Where's your "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AJ!!!!!!!!"
Because the bump didn't look that bad. We have seen her take bumps in her matches that looked much more damaging. One theory I have is that Dragon asked AJ to take a dive for him so that he could get out of the title defense.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Verdun

Post by Verdun » Jan 15th, '12, 11:51

Those chants of "She's okay!" Kind of ruined the experience for me.

Also, I hate it when the intro to matches are longer than the actual matches.
I wanted to really get behind the Funkasaurus but there wasn't enough time to do so.
And Tamina vs. Natalya, more time please.
Lady Luck is smiling...

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jan 15th, '12, 15:30

The "SHE'S OKAY!" chants really irked me. The woman is unconscious and being lifted onto a stretcher, where she will most likely be transferred to an ambulance and taken to the nearest medical facility. She's anything but okay.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 15th, '12, 15:52

kiel297 wrote:The "SHE'S OKAY!" chants really irked me. The woman is unconscious and being lifted onto a stretcher, where she will most likely be transferred to an ambulance and taken to the nearest medical facility. She's anything but okay.
the worst fans are the one's who think they're smarks, but they're just idiots. You don't have to let everyone know she's ok; it's a show. You're just ruining the fuckin show!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 15th, '12, 15:59

badnewzxl wrote:
kiel297 wrote:The "SHE'S OKAY!" chants really irked me. The woman is unconscious and being lifted onto a stretcher, where she will most likely be transferred to an ambulance and taken to the nearest medical facility. She's anything but okay.
the worst fans are the one's who think they're smarks, but they're just idiots. You don't have to let everyone know she's ok; it's a show. You're just ruining the f'n show!

It sounded to me more like it was little kids chanting it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Jan 15th, '12, 16:12

Big Red Machine wrote:It sounded to me more like it was little kids chanting it.
If thats the case then those parents should start whipping those little bastards and teach them about respect at a wrestling show. :p

Verdun

Post by Verdun » Jan 15th, '12, 17:56

I thought it sounded older, more late teen to young adult.
Lady Luck is smiling...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 15th, '12, 19:33

Verdun wrote:I thought it sounded older, more late teen to young adult.
Sounded too high-pitched to me.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 15th, '12, 20:57

Big Red Machine wrote:
Verdun wrote:I thought it sounded older, more late teen to young adult.
Sounded too high-pitched to me.
Regardless of the age; they need to learn proper etiquette