BRM Reviews the 11/4/2011 Smackdown (back on track!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 11/4/2011 Smackdown (back on track!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 6th, '11, 22:41

STREET FIGHT: Randy Orton vs. Cody Rhodes- 8/10. Undeniably awesome match, but the finish felt flat to me. I guess it just felt like there was too much wasted time between the DDT on the outside and the RKO in the ring. If he had done the RKO outside, or just gotten the pin after the DDT, it would have been better. I loved the stuff with the baggers, though.

TED DIBIASE JR. vs. TYSON KIDD- 3.5/10, but only because it was so short. Kidd is SOOO underused.

MARK HENRY & DANIEL BRYAN SEGMENT- F*CKING AWESOME! And props to them for starting this off with Henry giving an interview and Dragon doing something else, so that there is a reason for there being a camera there and for everything being where they are.

ALICIA FOX vs. NATALYA- 1/10! WTF? Nattie shouldn’t be losing after taking so little offense! The match wasn’t bad aside from the fact that it was ridiculously short.

BIG SHOW PROMO- umm…Big Show. Frankenstein was the name of the scientist. The monster was never named. Otherwise it was a good promo.

CHRISTIAN- BIG SHOW SEGMENT- eh.

SHEAMUS WADE BARRETT- 6.5/10. I liked the finish and the aftermath.

DRAGON & BIG SHOW SEGMENT- Good stuff

SIN CARA vs. EPICO- I went into this match expecting a squash. Boy was I wrong. No rating. AWESOME segment

MARK HENRY vs. DANIEL BRYAN (w/The Big Show)- For the combination of the match and the aftermath, I will give it 7.25/10. The match was only about 6.75, but this wasn’t about the match, as much as it was about the aftermath. The match was just the means to set things up the way they needed to be (Show pissed off enough to punch Henry, Dragon out of it enough that Show needed to wake him up, and that Dragon wouldn’t be able to immediately just say that he didn’t want to cash in.

Overall, an awesome episode of Smackdown! The only negative (aside from the Divas match) was Booker T’s commentary.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

WrestlingJoker

Re: BRM Reviews the 11/4/2011 Smackdown (back on track!)

Post by WrestlingJoker » Nov 7th, '11, 15:07

Big Red Machine wrote:BIG SHOW PROMO- umm…Big Show. Frankenstein was the name of the scientist. The monster was never named. Otherwise it was a good promo.
Doesn't stop people from calling the monster "Frankenstein". I've called him that, they call him that on "Ed Wood", and lets not forget "Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein". :-B

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Nov 7th, '11, 15:24

WrestlingJoker wrote:Doesn't stop people from calling the monster "Frankenstein". I've called him that, they call him that on "Ed Wood", and lets not forget "Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein". :-B
Don't forget Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 7th, '11, 18:55

Rabid619 wrote:
WrestlingJoker wrote:Doesn't stop people from calling the monster "Frankenstein". I've called him that, they call him that on "Ed Wood", and lets not forget "Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein". :-B
Don't forget Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein
and every other single movie with "the monster " in it,if its not named Frankenstein every single movie about it wouldnt be called Frankenstein,,And I think its understood the monster took on the dr's surname anyways
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Nov 7th, '11, 20:46

Big Red Machine wrote:Kidd is SOOO underused.
I agree, but apparently he's been tearing up NXT, or so I've heard. I've only seen the last two episodes of it.

That being said, he may not get that many matches, but the ones he has are solid and enjoyable to watch. It's too bad in my opinion to see smaller guys that have undeniable talent get shafted to Superstars or NXT just because they don't have the "it" factor that Cena or The Miz has. Mic skills can be improved, but you have to give them a chance!

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Nov 7th, '11, 20:59

I think a lot of it is the mentality that 'smaller' guys just aren't that good as compared to hulking heavyweights.

You have your exeptions like Shawn Michaels. But everyone knows the bigger and bulkier you are, the better chance you have with Vince and other top ranking executives liking you.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Nov 7th, '11, 22:20

Earth Child wrote:I think a lot of it is the mentality that 'smaller' guys just aren't that good as compared to hulking heavyweights.

You have your exeptions like Shawn Michaels. But everyone knows the bigger and bulkier you are, the better chance you have with Vince and other top ranking executives liking you.
Which doesn't make any sense. It looks (at least to me) like the general trend in wrestling is moving away from the giant guys and towards the smaller guys that can move faster. There seems to be less giants in wrestling now than there used to be, so by that logic, shouldn't they be making the best of the newer generation of wrestlers that are coming up? They're young and talented with insane amounts of potential, but they're just going to be disregarded because they're not 300 pounds of flesh that moves slowly, speaks even more slowly and can really only powerslam? (This is an EXTREME of the "big man" spectrum, and does not by any stretch claim that big men in the business have no talent. Exaggeration for the sake of emphasis).

In my opinion it just seems silly to ignore talented people because they don't fit what you're looking for (especially when what you're looking for is quickly becoming obsolete)