BRM Reviews the 8/30/2011 Super Smackdown

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 8/30/2011 Super Smackdown

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 7th, '11, 00:23

Josh Matthews opens the show by saying “Tonight promises to be an incredible night with an amazing concept: Superstars from Smackdown and Raw will be in action”... Oh. So what makes it any different from LAST NIGHT’S RAW… or, for that matter, any other Raw we will see in the future, due to this new “Super-Show” crap?

OPENING SEGMENT- The stuff with Cena and Ricardo Rodriguez was starting to get on my nerves, but Cena slugging Rodriguez flashed me back to the Attitude Era, which is what they want from Cena. Then Wade Barrett came out, and reminded me why I love listening to John Cena. When booked well, he can actually take the best parts of the attitudes of The Rock, Austin, and the good old-school babyface, and mix them into one natural character.

JOHN CENA vs. WADE BARRETT- 3/10. Nothing botched, but this was WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY too short for a match that Josh Matthews was hyping up as a “main event” just a few minutes ago. This does nothing but make Barrett look like a punk.

MARK HENRY PROMO- not bad, until that last line, which was very confusing. It took me WAY too long to figure out what he meant.

SIN CARA vs. DANIEL BRYAN- 5/10. Good work, but there wasn’t really any kind of story here. Sin Cara jumping Dragon after the match was just plain random.
About Dragon’s new theme. I didn’t like the change at first, but the music definitely suits him.

AIR BOOM PROMO- not bad, but not too interesting or entertaining either.

CHRISTIAN PROMO- Great

DIVAS OF DOOM vs. KELLY KELLY & ALICIA FOX- 3.5/10. Short, but well done.

TRIPLE H-CM PUNK CONTRACT SIGNING- AMAZING! Yet again, another awesome segment from these two. The only flaw in it was Triple H’s comment “I’m gonna kick your skinny, fat ass,” which caused me, like Punk, to burst out laughing, instead of adding to the heat. Oh yeah. And Teddy Long standing there doing nothing. Way to run your show there, Teddy.

SHEAMUS vs. THE GREAT KHALI (w/Jinder Mahal)- 4.75/10. The aftermath was eh.

STEEL CAGE MATCH FOR THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Randy Orton(c) vs. Christian- 8.25/10. AWESOME match.

MARK HENRY ATTACKS- Great.

This episode of Smackdown was extremely good.

Stupid Announcer Quotes:
1. Cole- “Just 24 hours ago on Monday Night Raw, Sin Cara was in the ring against a completely different competitor in Jack Swagger, and now he’s got to prepare for a Daniel Bryan”- Both Dragon and Swagger have amazteur backgrounds, are great mat-wrestles, and utilize a lot of submissions. Could you have picked two MORE SIMILAR styles in the WWE? Maybe Bourne and Kofi, but that’s about it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3