BRM Reviews the 1/15/2019 Smackdown (REY VS. ALMAS...and a whole bunch of stupid sh*t)

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 1/15/2019 Smackdown (REY VS. ALMAS...and a whole bunch of stupid sh*t)

Post by cero2k » Jan 17th, '19, 09:04

KILLdozer wrote: Jan 17th, '19, 08:55
cero2k wrote: Jan 17th, '19, 08:41
KILLdozer wrote: Jan 17th, '19, 08:26 "Steaks and weights" is one of the best catchphrases ever btw. Right up there with "FEED! ME! MORE!"
for a caveman. I rather prefer the "Veggies and Books" one
Awh yes! "I believe it was "Light Manuscripts" that said that one...
that would had been a great team name for Damien Sandow and The Genius Lanny Poffo

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM Reviews the 1/15/2019 Smackdown (REY VS. ALMAS...and a whole bunch of stupid sh*t)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 17th, '19, 09:15

cero2k wrote: Jan 17th, '19, 08:40
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 16th, '19, 23:34
Serujuunin wrote: Jan 16th, '19, 23:26 So, having not watched NXT because I’m terrible, what am I supposed to think about Nikki Cross and Heavy Machinery? Because so far Cross doesn’t look to me like she’s capable of much in the ring and if they can’t handle her character, she’s gonna go the Bray Wyatt route in a blink, and I don’t even know about Heavy Machinery...
I think your thoughts are actually more valuable without us telling you what you're "supposed" to think about them. You're the blank slate that they're presenting the characters to. You're reaction isn't colored by any sort of "but they should be done this way like on NXT instead" so if the characters are working but different, you won't be put off by it like we would.
so i'm guessing she won't be part of Sanity?
They could still make her part of SAnitY. But the fact that they don't know yet is pretty damning.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 17th, '19, 12:01

My name is Andonis Wolverson.

So I would be one of those begging for a better name.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 17th, '19, 12:06

XIV wrote: Jan 17th, '19, 12:01 My name is Andonis Wolverson.

Andonis Wolverson is a perfect wrestling name

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 17th, '19, 12:09

cero2k wrote: Jan 17th, '19, 12:06
XIV wrote: Jan 17th, '19, 12:01 My name is Andonis Wolverson.

Andonis Wolverson is a perfect wrestling name
Trust me, nobody can say it or pronounce it right. None of the prisoners I deal with (who tend to be dumb as rocks) can manage my surname. So... I just don’t bother correcting anyone
Have A Nice Day!

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 17th, '19, 22:09

Serujuunin wrote: Jan 16th, '19, 23:26 So, having not watched NXT because I’m terrible, what am I supposed to think about Nikki Cross and Heavy Machinery? Because so far Cross doesn’t look to me like she’s capable of much in the ring and if they can’t handle her character, she’s gonna go the Bray Wyatt route in a blink, and I don’t even know about Heavy Machinery...
I think your thoughts are actually more valuable without us telling you what you're "supposed" to think about them. You're the blank slate that they're presenting the characters to. You're reaction isn't colored by any sort of "but they should be done this way like on NXT instead" so if the characters are working but different, you won't be put off by it like we would.

Plus, I really couldn't put Nikki Cross into words, anyway.
Hidden text.
The best thing I can advise to understand her character would be to watch the build to her title match against Shayna Baszler, specifically starting with the main event segment on the 5/30/2018 NXT.

And Heavy Machinery were just two large dudes who loved eating meat and working out (or, as their catchphrase put it, "steaks and weights"). This abominable love child of Eugene and George "the Animal" Steele that we saw on the main roster this week feels like an entirely different person.
I guess you're right. I'm not sold on Cross to be honest... Not a lot that I've seen so far has me convinced that she can get by on the weight of her character or that she's anything special in the ring. Don't get me wrong, I want to like her, I want to like (just about) every NXT call up and I hope they do well, but I just have this feeling that she's gonna go the Wyatt route faster than any of us can believe. I will look at that old NXT stuff sometime this weekend and hope that I can get a better grasp on her.

Heavy Machinery, though... Boy I hope they are stellar in the ring, or their character is just not going to go over well.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 17th, '19, 23:26

Walter's too long. It's gonna be shortened to just Walt.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 18th, '19, 00:09

Serujuunin wrote: Jan 17th, '19, 22:09

Plus, I really couldn't put Nikki Cross into words, anyway.
Hidden text.
The best thing I can advise to understand her character would be to watch the build to her title match against Shayna Baszler, specifically starting with the main event segment on the 5/30/2018 NXT.

And Heavy Machinery were just two large dudes who loved eating meat and working out (or, as their catchphrase put it, "steaks and weights"). This abominable love child of Eugene and George "the Animal" Steele that we saw on the main roster this week feels like an entirely different person.
I guess you're right. I'm not sold on Cross to be honest... Not a lot that I've seen so far has me convinced that she can get by on the weight of her character or that she's anything special in the ring. Don't get me wrong, I want to like her, I want to like (just about) every NXT call up and I hope they do well, but I just have this feeling that she's gonna go the Wyatt route faster than any of us can believe. I will look at that old NXT stuff sometime this weekend and hope that I can get a better grasp on her.
I pretty much share your thoughts on Nikki. Her only truly stand-out match was a big wild gimmick match brawl with Asuka. She'd good in the ring, but not really great. Her character gives her some shortcuts, but at the same time, I can't come up with a single instance of a character like hers that didn't get old very quick.
Serujuunin wrote: Jan 16th, '19, 23:26
Heavy Machinery, though... Boy I hope they are stellar in the ring, or their character is just not going to go over well.
They are... passable.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3