BRM Reviews the 5/2/2017 Smackdown

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 5/2/2017 Smackdown

Post by Big Red Machine » May 2nd, '17, 23:51

SEGMENT WITH SHANE & JINDER FROM EALRIER TODAY- Shane came up to Jinder as Jinder was doing a photoshoot (with Randy Orton’s WWE World Heavyweight Title) and said the following: “Around here titles are earned. That does not belong to you.” Not only was this painfully wooden, but Shane is now the third person in WWE to comment on Jinder stealing Randy’s title belt and all have talked about how Jinder didn’t “earn” the title. I know I commented on how annoying WWE’s insistence on using the exact same phrasing is when Cole said it in my PPV review, but Shane’s stiff delivery of this overly-simplistic dialogue has finally made me understand the real reason that this is bothering me so much in this case: In their zeal to create this message on which they can push this angle, they’ve overlooked the most human part of this. I’ll bet you that if you show people the angle that led to Jinder carrying Randy’s title around and ask them for their immediate reaction to what they just saw, the idea that Jinder hasn’t earned the right to carry around the championship belt is going to be a very distant second place to the fact that JINDER STOLE SOMETHING THAT BELONGS TO RANDY. They shouldn’t be telling Jinder off for carrying around a title that he didn’t earn; they should be telling him off for THEFT!
Anyway, Jinder just hands the belt back to Shane… and I actually liked that. Jinder’s not a stupid guy. He’s made his point and he knows that there is no possible benefit for him to pissing off the guy in charge. It also avoids having to do a physical confrontation between Jinder and Randy in which Randy gets the belt back- and thus, by necessity, gets the best of Jinder before their big PPV match.
Also, Shane has booked Jinder to face Sami Zayn tonight.

OPENING SEGMENT- Very good segment.
Shane comes out, then brings out Jericho to tell him that Owens is getting his rematch tonight. AJ comes out and AJ thankfully remembers that he doesn’t like Jericho because Jericho turned on him. AJ builds up the possibility of them facing off for the title at Backlash. Then Owens comes out and cuts a promo vowing to do terrible things to Jericho tonight and telling AJ to get the hell out of his ring. So AJ does... and makes a bee-line right up the ramp for Kevin Owens. They brawl but are quickly pulled apart.

JINDER MAHAL WALKS AROUND BACKSTAGE WITH THE BOLLYWOOD BOYZ BEHIND HIM- Jinder makes those two look so short that I did a double take because I thought the one on Jinder’s right was Jamie Noble.

RECAP OF A ZAYN/CORBIN ANGLE ON TALKING SMACK- Baron didn’t like what Sami was saying so he jumped him from behind and beat him up. To no one’s surprise, JBL did nothing to help the smaller man being attacked by a larger man. Referees eventually showed up to break it up and Baron shoved one of them, so he has been fined and suspended for tonight’s show. This is the sort of creative thinking that has been missing from WWE Creative for a very long time now. We want to build up Zayn vs. Corbin for Backlash (I assume) so how do we do it without having them interact on TV this week? We do an angle where Corbin attacks Zayn and gets suspended for this week, and we still get him on TV by showing the angle. Meanwhile, this frees Sami up to put Jinder over without everyone wondering when Corbin is going to come out and attack Sami or without having to put Corbin on commentary or anything else from WWE’s usual bag of tricks.

SAMI ZAYN vs. JINDER MAHAL (w/the Singh brothers)- 5.5/10
There was absolutely no reason why Jinder did not win this match cleanly.

BECKY RUNS INTO THE LEAGUE OF PEOPLE WHO DON’T LIKE CHARLOTTE-
FACT: Nattie has her hair tied up to look like cat ears.
They try to recruit Becky, and she is apparently seriously considering joining them in being mean to Charlotte for no real reason. Some babyface that Becky is.

ZIGGLER TALK TO SOME PEOPLE BACKSTAGE- I feel like I should recognize some of them but I don’t. Apparently Nakamura isn’t here tonight for no explained reason. He buries Shane while Shane is standing behind him. I got major self-important Stephanie vibes from Shane at the beginning of this, but they thankfully didn’t go in that direction.

AIDEN ENGLISH SINGS HIMSELF SOME GOOFY NICKNAMES- I’ve to agree with JBL here. I was quite enjoying Aiden’s singing and was disappointed when he was interrupted.

TYE DILLINGER vs. AIDEN ENGLISH- 0.25/10
I assume English is the babyface here, as he is the one beating up Tye Dillinger. Then Tye made a comeback and won. I’m not sure this even got a minute. English sold his frustration at the loss very well.

IT IS ANNOUNCED THAT AJ STYLES IS BARRED FROM RINGSIDE IN TONIGHT’S US TITLE MATCH- good.

A CRYING AIDEN ENGLISH WALKS THROUGH A CHRIS JERICHO INTERVIEW- Jericho was a jerk and put him on the list. More importantly, I think someone was playing around with a time machine and somehow the end result of their meddling was that Lilian Garcia is now Renee Young’s mother.

JBL said he wanted Jericho to put Byron on the list because he wants to see Byron cry. It begins again.

DASHA INTERVIEWS CHARLOTTE FLAIR- an excellent promo by Charlotte, making sure to retain her heelish arrogance.
THE LEAGUE OF PEOPLE WHO DON’T LIKE CHARLOTTE (I refuse to call them “the Welcoming Committee”) SHOW UP AND ATTACK- Charlotte made a good fight of it but got beaten up in what was a pretty crappy-looking beat-down.

CHARLOTTE FLAIR & NAOMI vs. NATALYA & CARMELLA (w/James Ellsworth & Tamina)- 6.5/10 (but as a segment, perfect)
I’m going to be nice and presume that Naomi doesn’t know about the attack on Charlotte rather than assume that she is coming out here and doing her usual dancing entrance even though she knows that her partner just got jumped and she might be walking into a two-on-one situation.
We have it confirmed that it is indeed the former when we return from commercial and Naomi looks and concerned and- this part here is key- Tom Phillips tells us that, during the break, Charlotte’s music played but she didn’t come out.
The opening bit with Naomi making Carmella look like a complete and total chump was utterly hilarious. Naomi did her best against two opponents but got overwhelmed. Charlotte did come out and the big moment and got the hot tag and ran wild on the heels. The crowd went nuts for this. Eventually Carmella pinned Naomi off of a bunch of distractions which throws a third woman into the title picture mix, but I kind of like it because the idea that Carmella eats the pin in the title match should help to build to an even more heated rematch between Charlotte and Naomi based around the story of “you might have won the triple threat match, but you never beat me.” There was a post-match heel beat-down of Naomi and Charlotte which ended when Becky Lynch came out to tease turning a bunch of time before revealing that she is has been a babyface all along. She, too, got overwhelmed by the heels, however. Hopefully we get a nice, long six-woman tag next week. This was so well done that I wouldn’t even object to it being the main event.

DOLPH ZIGGLER vs. WHAT THE F*CK IS SIN CARA WEARING!?- 4.25/10

LANA IS COMING SOON- and dancing. That Rusev is a very lucky man. And speaking of Rusev, shouldn’t we get some sort of response from Shane to Rusev’s ultimatum from last week?

THE FASHION FILES- HILARIOUS!
I assume that’s The Shining Stars who are wanted for Real Estate Fraud in the background there. Hulk Hogan is a “fashion victim” while Cena is listed as “whereabouts unknown.” The best part of this was Nakamura’s picture under which was written “Strong No Style.” I laughed my ass off at that. Also at the “No one wants them here.” “That’s unlawful assembly!” line.

WWE UNITED STATES TITLE MATCH WITH AJ STYLES BARRED FROM RINGSIDE: Chris Jericho(c) vs. Kevin Owens- 7.5/10
Owens’ hand is all taped up after Jericho savaged it two days ago. Hooray for things having consequences! Owens won the belt back. If Jericho is coming back relatively soon then I will say this was a decently clever way to get him on Smackdown while also delivering a surprising PPV result, but if not then I don’t understand why they did the title change and change back.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- medical people attend to Jericho but Owens comes over and attacks him some more. Then he comes back and beats him up some more (but, sadly, he didn’t flip an ambulance over). By the end of this I was quite surprised that AJ Styles didn’t come out to make the save.

A very good episode of Smackdown, but I have to ask: where was WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 5/2/2017 Smackdown

Post by KILLdozer » May 3rd, '17, 05:17

Randy Orton's still stuck inside his house of horrors, remember?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 3rd, '17, 10:15

Big Red Machine wrote:S
I assume that’s The Shining Stars who are wanted for Real Estate Fraud in the background there. Hulk Hogan is a “fashion victim” while Cena is listed as “whereabouts unknown.” The best part of this was Nakamura’s picture under which was written “Strong No Style.” I laughed my ass off at that. Also at the “No one wants them here.” “That’s unlawful assembly!” line.

i just don't understand how he drew the Backlash logo (in color) using a typewriter

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 3rd, '17, 10:20

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:S

i just don't understand how he drew the Backlash logo (in color) using a typewriter

Talent.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 3rd, '17, 12:03

KILLdozer wrote:Randy Orton's still stuck inside his house of horrors, remember?

Don't ignore me BRM!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 3rd, '17, 12:16

So I'm watching it now actually...did Jinder Mahal just get no reaction on his entrance?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 3rd, '17, 12:42

KILLdozer wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:Randy Orton's still stuck inside his house of horrors, remember?

Don't ignore me BRM!

Your memory is wrong. Randy escape from under the refrigerator in the House of Horrors via teleportation, remember?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 3rd, '17, 12:54

Big Red Machine wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:

Don't ignore me BRM!

Your memory is wrong. Randy escape from under the refrigerator in the House of Horrors via teleportation, remember?

No I get that, but evidently Bray Wyatt knows something we don't! Ooooohhhhh I'm intrigued!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 3rd, '17, 13:03

Btw... did you notice the Indian woman in that Dolph Ziggler segment was shoeless for some reason?

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 3rd, '17, 13:05

Speaking of Dolph Ziggler, I saw someone say he's like Chandler from friends...voice and attitude...once you notice you'll never forget it lol

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » May 3rd, '17, 17:43

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one to enjoy the Law and Order Fashion Police segment! It was spot on

I was surprised too that AJ didn't make the save. he was barely on the show.

speaking of not enough air time, why wasn't Nakamura on the show? I was looking forward to seeing him.

Not having access to NXT here, I'm eager to see one of his matches. I've only seen NXT: Takeover Orlando and I'm told that isn't his best work.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 3rd, '17, 18:36

Earth Child wrote:I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one to enjoy the Law and Order Fashion Police segment! It was spot on

speaking of not enough air time, why wasn't Nakamura on the show? I was looking forward to seeing him.

Not having access to NXT here, I'm eager to see one of his matches. I've only seen NXT: Takeover Orlando and I'm told that isn't his best work.

AJ was barred from ringside, I guess since it was the match it didn't count anymore, idk though.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 3rd, '17, 18:42

In a way I'm kinda surprised they still write him off every single time he goes on tour. Sure, if it helps someone and furthers a story, but it's gotten kind of ridiculous and repetitive At this point. Why can't they once just tell us he's going to be with Fozzy again? Plus, MORE Owens V Jericho.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 3rd, '17, 19:58

Earth Child wrote:I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one to enjoy the Law and Order Fashion Police segment! It was spot on

I actually thought it was among his best work.
He also had awesome Takeover matches against Aries (The End) and Zayn (Dallas). Plus you can't go wrong with any of this matches against Tanahashi (IMO Invasion Attack 2014 was the best).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation