BRM Reviews the 2/14/2017 Smackdown (great!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 2/14/2017 Smackdown (great!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 14th, '17, 21:24

OPENING SEGMENT- fine
Oh crap. It just occurred to me that Bray winning the WWE Title means that he’ll get even more time than usual to talk about nothing.
JBL immediately points out that Royal Rumble winner Randy Orton isn’t out here with Bray so at WrestleMania we’re going to have a “family feud.” I was kind of hoping we would get at least one week’s respite from having to hear them refer to intra-Wyatt conflict as a “family feud” but nope, apparently that’s going to continue unabated from January all the way through April. This is one of the things that makes WWE the most annoying.
Bray cuts a promo that, while it didn’t mean sh*t, was at least engaging. Then Cena comes out and ash to start with that annoying John Cena routine where instead of getting down to business he’s got to do the stand-up comedian thing where he puts over the crowd and then he runs down some news and crap like that. It’s even more annoying than usual when there is someone else in the ring when he does it who he should be addressing instead. He said very little of interest, but at least he kept it short. And speaking of short, the short of what he said was that they should just do their match right now.
AJ Styles comes out and says that he deserves to get his rematch for Cena gets his. I don’t quite see the validity of AJ’s argument. It’s not like he didn’t get pinned cleanly in the Elimination Chamber match. Daniel Bryan comes out and says I’m wrong. He adds AJ to the main event to make it a Triple Threat match.

AMBROSE IS BACKSTAGE LOOKING FOR BARON CORBIN- good

AMERICAN ALPHA vs. THE ASCENSION- 6/10
What is even the point of booking this match? Two days ago we saw American Alpha having already wrestled and being attacked by The Usos and still beating a fresh Ascension clean. Why would anyone think they have a snowball’s chance in hell of winning this match? That being said, the thing that makes American Alpha so great is that they still manage to make these matches exciting and entertaining.

USOS PROMO- great! But once again I am baffled that they just had American Alpha beat these guys last night and now they’re pushing them as top contenders.

ELLSWORTH, CARMELLA, & AMBROSE BACKSTAGE- I enjoyed it. I laughed my ass off when Carmella called Ambrose a “gas station attendant.” Bryan shows up and a match is booked for later tonight.

DEAN AMBROSE vs. JAMES ELLSWORTH (w/Carmella)- no rating. An otherwise decent segment killed by poor execution.
Not much later, apparently. Or maybe it will be much later, as Dean was jumped by Corbin backstage and is currently being dragged out to the stage. Corbin beats on him some more but Dean his own comeback quickly. Corbin cuts him off and puts him through a table and I think they had some sort of pyro thing planned that went off too early and as a result it all looked really bad.

RECAP OF THE NIKKI-NATTIE BACKSTAGE BRAWL- not going to lie: I didn’t even notice it was Maryse in the segment last night.

NIKKI, BRYAN, & NATTIE BACKSTAGE- horrible. The same sh*t we always see, although at least we finally have what should be a blow-off next week in a Falls Count Anywhere match.

DASHA TRIES TO INTERVIEW CORBIN- I laughed my ass off at him ripping on her for asking such a stupid question. Also, the mustache part of whatever it is that Corbin has going on on his face needs to go.

RENEE YOUNG INTERVIEWS DOLPH ZIGGLER- good. Dolph is worried that young guys are here to take his spot. It’s like TNA in 2005 except in reverse. I can see Swagger joining Dolph on his crusade just to get him on TV and even things up.

BECKY LYNCH vs. MICKIE JAMES- 6.5/10
Mickie fakes an injury to beat Becky. The wheels continue to spin.

RENEE YOUNG INTERVIEWS NAOMI ABOUT HER TITLE WIN- Naomi was good, but it’s the sort of thing that still feels a little bit empty due to the lack of build going in. Alexa Bliss! predictably interrupts and is predictably awesome.

WWE TITLE MATCH: Bray Wyatt(c) vs. John Cena vs. AJ Styles- 8.5/10
Luke Harper showed up and attack Bray before the match. I’d much rather see AJ vs. Orton for the title and Harper vs. Wyatt in a grudge match than Orton vs. Wyatt with AJ and Harper off doing other things. These guys pulled out all of the stops and had a crazy match full of big news.

ORTON & BRAY SEGMENT- good.
Instead of giving Bray the expected RKOing, Randy gives Bray a vow of eternal allegiance and says that he won’t face Bray for the title because Bray is his master, etc. etc. It was really well done.

A great episode of Smackdown!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 2/14/2017 Smackdown (great!)

Post by cero2k » Feb 14th, '17, 23:08

"I got the whole DAMN WORLD IN MY HANDS"

i marked out at that

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 15th, '17, 13:16

Chanting *YOU DESERVE IT!" at the heel...

That "John Cena sucks!" sing along chant has gotten so old...That reminds me of something else I meant to mention in the RAW review...This singing the tune of themes without words has got to stop...lol
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 15th, '17, 13:19

Yeah though... AJ definitely is continuously Getting denied his one on one rematch for the by Shane and /or Bryan. It get it somewhat fits within the angle...But Kayfabe it's completely absurd.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 15th, '17, 13:21

I'm also not sure whatever happened to short hair retro AJ Styles or where he went... Though I desperately wish He'd return.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 15th, '17, 13:21

The Teddy Long stuff continues...