ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: Um.... THIS JUST HAPPENED

Post by NWK2000 » Aug 24th, '16, 01:11

Somewhere in the great beyond Macho Man and Mr.Perfect are nodding approvingly,
Jesus this is one of the best promos ever.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 24th, '16, 09:31

That wasn't nearly as big as y'all made it out to be.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 24th, '16, 09:54

KILLdozer wrote:That wasn't nearly as big as y'all made it out to be.
Dude... it's entirely possible that that devolved into a shoot that could lead to Daniel Bryan quitting (look at Maryse and Renee's faces during this. This was clearly not in the script [or at least not the version that they were given]). Either that or it's a work that has to lead to Bryan returning to the ring. You don't think that's a big deal?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 24th, '16, 10:14

this show is getting really shooty, starting from the first week it's been shooty. I hope they use this to really build Miz as a top heel in Smackdown messing with Dragon

Miz was watery-eyed at the end. I can see it now. Cesaro wins US after the best of 7 and jumps to Smackdown, Miz jumps to RAW

Red, promo of the year?

XIV

Post by XIV » Aug 24th, '16, 11:57

I have gained respect for the Miz. Because instead of acting pretentious and cocky, he's showing himself to be the "I'm here night after night wrestling and defending titles while everyone gets injured, and I get zero respect" kind of heel.

This is clearly real because Miz's comments about quitting and going to the indies really got to Daniel you could tell. Renee's face at the end was clearly a "what the hell do I do now?" face.

Great promo from Miz.

But wow, what a segment. This is precisely why scripts for promos are bad, because when you go off script, it works more often than it doesn't.
Have A Nice Day!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 24th, '16, 12:19

I suppose I was just being contradictory lol. He did go off on the boy out of nowhere. I read the guys on the YouTube saying the same... SD is like a whole different show.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 24th, '16, 14:01

XIV wrote: But wow, what a segment. This is precisely why scripts for promos are bad, because when you go off script, it works more often than it doesn't.
It depends on what your definition of "works" is. There is a very strong argument to be made that this segment did not "work" unless what happened here was the intended end result. If Miz going off topic resulted in him saying something that made Daniel Bryan shoot quit, the segment didn't "work." No matter how real the emotion is, if going off script results in something being said that in some way alters the destination from where the booker wants it or introduces some element into things that wasn't supposed to be there and as a result changes the perception of the characters or the company or the feud, then the segment did not "work."

For the most part, scripts are bad, but it's not because of their predetermined nature. It's because of how unnatural they sound when the voices are wrong. If they wanted to, I'd bet that Miz or John Cena or CM Punk could write themselves some scripts for their promos and it would come out fine. The problem is when you have people talking in ways that fans don't believe are natural for their characters (or, occasionally, when it feels like everyone is talking in the same voice).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 24th, '16, 14:18

CM PUNK is gone . WWE actually"finally deleted him" way before TNA ever began to think of such a thing lmao.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 24th, '16, 14:22

KILLdozer wrote:CM PUNK is gone . WWE actually"finally deleted him" way before TNA ever began to think of such a thing lmao.
i still heard CM Punk chants on monday

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 24th, '16, 14:23

KILLdozer wrote:CM PUNK is gone . WWE actually"finally deleted him" way before TNA ever began to think of such a thing lmao.
Not the point. The point is that he is an example of someone who could make a scripted promo work if he scripted it himself.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 24th, '16, 15:09

Big Red Machine wrote:
Not the point. The point is that he is an example of someone who could make a scripted promo work if he scripted it himself.
Talking about him like he's still anyway relevant though, seems pointless.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 24th, '16, 15:19

KILLdozer wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
I'm using him as an example because he is someone with a unique voice/style of speaking. If it helps you grasp my point, just pretend that I wrote "Rusev" instead of "CM Punk."

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 24th, '16, 15:30

Big Red Machine wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: Not the point. The point is that he is an example of someone who could make a scripted promo work if he scripted it himself.
I'm using him as an example because he is someone with a unique voice/style of speaking. If it helps you grasp my point, just pretend that I wrote "Rusev" instead of "CM Punk."
Now now, temper temper.