BRM Reviews the 3/17/2016 Smackdown

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 3/17/2016 Smackdown

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 21st, '16, 14:11

ROMAN REIGNS PROMO- Roman comes out to a mixed reaction, but at least it’s a loud one. I thought his promo came off as kind of heelish. My immediate reaction was “wow. This guy is kind of being a jerk.”

WOW! We’re barely six minutes into the show and opening segment is already done! It’s a miracle!

RENEE YOUNG INTERVIEWS AJ STYLES- AJ was good. Then Kevin Steen showed up and was totally great.
As Owens is walking away he says “you guys have the same haircut”… and as the camera is pulling away, Renee looks over at AJ, then almost subconsciously reaches up to her own hair as if she was thinking “I don’t have a man’s haircut… do I?” It was brilliant!

DOLPH ZIGGLER vs. THE MIZ- 6.25/10

KALISTO ACCEPTS RYBACK’S CHALLENGE- their match for Mania is official.

DEAN AMBROSE PROMO- awesome.

GOLDUST vs. BUBBA RAY DUDLEY (w/Devon Dudley)- 3.75/10
Props to Bubba for drawing the connection between Goldust and the Usos (face-paint). I doubt the announcers would have picked up on it on their own.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good.
The Dudleys beat up Goldust. Truth tries to make the save but gets beaten up. Then the Usos show up and chase off the Dudleys.

DIVAS TITLE FEUD SEGMENT-
This was really annoying. I’m calling total bullsh*t on Ric and Charlotte using the term “Horsewomen” while they were still training at NXT. This felt like them saying “Horsewomen” as much as possible as a way to hit us all over the head with “THESE WOMEN ARE GREAT, JUST LIKE THE HORSEMEN WERE GREAT,” just like it feels so phony when JBL does everything in his power to compare the League of Nations to the Horsemen every single f*cking week.
They all came off as real people with real personalities here, but stuck in a segment with a credibility-stretching premise.
Sasha claims she hasn’t been pinned since coming to the main roster. I’m certain this isn’t true, and if it is, why the hell has this not been pushed.
Am I the only one who felt sorry for poor Becky when she and Sasha were both left standing tall, but the truck decided to play Sasha’s music to show us who the bigger star is?

THERE’S A DUDE WITH MY AVATAR AS A T-SHIRT!- I found it on Amazon and bought it immediately (less than $12 and free shipping!)

So we’re getting the New Day vs. The League of Nations in a handicap match at WrestleMania. A few questions here:
1. Why make this a handicap match when all that will do is make the League of Nations look even worse when they lose?
2. If this is the plan for Mania, why have the tag titles not been moved over to the Dudleys vs. Usos feud so that they can actually be defended at WrestleMania in a match that people actually care about?

NEW DAY PROMO- so after getting utterly destroyed on Raw… they’re right back to joking.

WADE BARRETT (w/the League of Nations) vs. KOFI KINGSTON (w/the New Day)- 6/10
Monday’s attack was so terrible and heinous, but G-d forbid we actually have an attack put some midcarders on the shelf for a few days. In fact, let’s just give New Day the win because it’s not like the entire purpose of Monday’s attack was to get heat or anything, right?
Um… did they just kick out of Dean’s finisher?

DEAN AMBROSE PROMO IN A BAR- This was an AWESOME promo, but I just couldn’t help but laugh at the fact that Dean is sitting there in a bar, yelling into a camera… and no one is even looking at him funny.

SOCIAL ASS-HATS PROMO- Byron said “you’d better get your hashtags ready.” F*ck off, Byron!
WWE’s most pointless stable argued about which one of them would win WWE’s most pointless match: the Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royale.
Then Dean Ambrose showed up and beat the sh*t out of them with a weapon. I’d usually crap all over a babyface assaulting innocent people for no reason, but these four are SOOOOOOOO F*CKING ANNOYING that I welcomed this.

YET ANOTHER DEAN AMBROSE PROMO- great!
Brock will apparently be here on Smackdown next week and Dean wants to fight him.

AJ STYLES vs. KEVIN OWENS- 7.25/10
Stupid-ass WWE distraction finishes running matches. GRRRRR! LEARN TO BOOK YOU DUMB SH*TS!
Mauro confusing Lawler by pronouncing Japanese move names correctly made me smile.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Jericho hits AJ with the Codebreaker then mockingly chants “AJ Styles!”

Watch the Ambrose promos. Everything else is skippable.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 3/17/2016 Smackdown

Post by cero2k » Mar 21st, '16, 15:15

Big Red Machine wrote:ROMAN REIGNS PROMO- Roman comes out to a mixed reaction, but at least it’s a loud one. I thought his promo came off as kind of heelish. My immediate reaction was “wow. This guy is kind of being a jerk.”
if 'mixed reactions' was the best achieved after editing and piping in some cheers, i can't imagine how bad the live crowd could had been

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM Reviews the 3/17/2016 Smackdown

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 21st, '16, 15:44

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:ROMAN REIGNS PROMO- Roman comes out to a mixed reaction, but at least it’s a loud one. I thought his promo came off as kind of heelish. My immediate reaction was “wow. This guy is kind of being a jerk.”
if 'mixed reactions' was the best achieved after editing and piping in some cheers, i can't imagine how bad the live crowd could had been
Torches and pitchforks?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3