BRM Reviews the 2/18/2016 Smackdown

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 2/18/2016 Smackdown

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 19th, '16, 15:34

DOLPH ZIGGLER & THE LUCHA DRAGONS vs. THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS (w/Wade Barrett)- 7/10
Fun, but almost overshadowed by Owens’ destruction of Cole on commentary.

SASHA BANKS vs. TAMINA (w/Naomi)- 1/10
Tamina is… not the best. This match was so short that it makes you wonder why buried Tamina with a finish instead of doing a DQ.
Naomi jumped Sasha from behind after the match. Becky Lynch came out and made the save, but there was dissension between them afterwards.

SASHA & BECKY BACKSTAGE- great! Especially the part where Becky talked about how winning this one match with no titles or even #1 contenderships on the line, was super-important.

JERICHO & MIZ SEGMENT- bad. Jericho’s strikes looked pathetically light, too.

CHRIS JERICHO vs. THE MIZ- 6.75/10
MUCH better than the segment.

JERICHO GIVES AJ AN ANSWER ABOUT FAST LANE- it’s a no?!
AJ punches Jericho in the face and dumps him over the top rope. The crowd is about 75-25 in favor of AJ. Jericho now says yes, but vows that AJ will regret wanting this match.

Well… Byron Saxton seems to be enjoying AJ’s music.

DEAN & ROMAN BACKSTAGE- terrible dialogue. Dean manages to make it sound bearable.

DEAN & HEYMAN BACKSTAGE- stupid, pointless, and annoying.

JOJO ASKS THE NEW DAY AN EXTREMELY F*CKING STUPID QUESTION- She asked them how they were “preparing” for their INTERVIEW SEGMENT with Edge & Christian at the PPV. She really asked this. I skipped the rest of this out of protest.

NATLAYA vs. CHARLOTTE (w/Ric Flair)- 4.25/10
Nattie’s hair has lost all of its pink. I assume this means that she is officially ceding the rights to the colored hair parts gimmick to Alexa Bliss!.
The story of this match was that Charlotte was a huge ass who would WOOO right in Nattie’s face, which always resulted in Nattie kicking Charlotte’s obnoxious ass. Charlotte eventually won with the Figure Eight.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Charlotte started doing the YES! chant so Brie came out to fight with her. Brie kicked her butt and posed with the belt. Personally, I think a fiery babyface promo from Brie later in the show would have been more effective.

R-TRUTH & DUSTA RHYMES BACKSTAGE- I laughed at Truth completely shattering Goldust’s hopes, all with a huge smile on his face.

THE DUDLEY BOYS vs. DEAN AMBROSE & ROMAN REIGNS- 6.5/10
“Dean tried to put Dirty Deeds on his friend Roman Reigns.” Michael Cole actually said this. What is so hard about saying he “tried to hit him with Dirty Deeds?”
Bubba doing that back senton was utterly terrifying.

They were having a fine match until the finish, which saw Brock come out to cause a distraction and then attack the faces for a DQ. He brawled with Roman, then tossed Dean around for a bit, then sidestepped a Roman Reigns spear which hit Ambrose. Ambrose went for Dirty Deeds but Roman countered it with a Samoan Drop. Then Brock hit Roman with an F-5. Then Triple H showed up to tease the Brock vs. Hunter match that we all know we’re not getting.

I really hated the DQ finish here. I think it would have been a lot better to have the babyfaces lose because of a miscue just to get the Dudleys a big win, and then have Brock take advantage of their fighting to beat them both up. It makes Brock seem a bit heelish, but I think that’s okay for Brock right now. More importantly, though, it shows us that the consequences of these two guys not being on the same page is that Brock will kick their asses. But ultimately that’s a minor issue.

Anyway, a perfectly good Smackdown, but without Mauro, it’s just not as good.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3