BRM's thoughts on the 1/17/2011 Raw

Big Red Machine

BRM's thoughts on the 1/17/2011 Raw

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 18th, '11, 14:21

1. Cena was pretty good on the mic, and Miz played off of him perfectly!

2. The Punk-Cena match was set up very well.

3. WWE Tag Team Title match: Santino & Kozlov(c) (w/Tamina) vs. the Usos- 3/10. Way too short. The one thing I did like here was Santino using the Cobra ONLY AFTER A BIG MOVE FROM KOZLOV. THat makes it more of a believeable finisher.

4. John Morrison vs. Daniel Bryan (w/The Bella Twins)- 5.75/10. It takes two VERY talented wrestlers to put on a match this good in less than four and a half minutes! They need more time!
Props to Dragon and the Bella's on the entrance it is great.

5. Sheamus' promo was good, but he needs to take off that silly crown and robe. Noby actually thinks that this makes him a real king. Coinstantly refering to himself as such makes him seem like a giant goof.

6. Hoy crap. Actually storyline development ith this Dragon & Bellas angle. I don't like the angle... but at least it makes sense.

7. Randy Orton vs. Dolph Ziggler (w/Vickie Guerrero)-6.25/10. Not going to lie... I actually did blink and miss the RKO.
Still... why is Dolph allowed to be on Raw?

8. After the match, Miz & Riley jump Orton. This was good, but the involvement of COle and Lawler made this segment GREAT!

9. Punk cuts an Ultiimate Warrior promo backstage. It made no sense, but sounded cool.

10. Natalya vs. Maryse- 1.75/10- WAY TOO SHORT. Cole spent the whole time chatting with Eve instead of calling the match.

11. The post-match stuff between Maryse & Dibiase was pretty good. Dibiase losing the Top Rope challenge was dumb. It just makes Dibiase look bad. THe better thing to do would have been to have him find a way to eliminate Henry, who will always retain his heat because he is F*CKING HUGE.

12. NOOO! Why the hell in Mark Henry eliminating people?! The man has been in the WWE for 15 years and has barely been able to get over! We all know what will happen! Everyone will gang up on Henry (and Big Show, and Kane, and anyone else like that) to eliminate them!
At least Del Rio stole his thunder. But why is he allowed to be here?

13. While it was funny, the Derek Bateman skit belongs on SNL, not on Raw.

14. Cole and Lawler are GREAT together.

15. The Royal Rumble video package was pretty good. It highlited a few guys in particular, like Kane and Rey. The comment about divas "havin their male counterparts' number" didn't make any sense, because no woman has ever eliminated more than one man in a single rumblem menaing that, AT BEST, the odds are even (and if you add in the fact that their are som many more men than women... well... it's not even close). These are the sort of statements that I find to be so stupid and irritating. It is throwing a bone to the feminist, PC BS. You would NEVER see a similar statistic about white wrestlers vs. black wrestlers. Why can't we all just be PEOPLE without focusing on subdivisions!

16. CM Punk vs. John Cena-7/10
Cole calls a Koji Clutch the Annoconda Vise. You want to change the move... fine. But don't pretend it is the same move, which Cole did when he said "this move has taken out many superstars before in the WWE."
The finish was weird, but at least it lead to something. Until I get a name, the mystery man will be known as "Beard-Tista."
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Re: BRM's thoughts on the 1/17/2011 Raw

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 18th, '11, 14:26

Big Red Machine wrote:4. John Morrison vs. Daniel Bryan (w/The Bella Twins)- 5.75/10. It takes two VERY talented wrestlers to put on a match this good in less than four and a half minutes! They need more time!
I agree. I was legitimately marking out for this match when I saw that Morrison was facing Bryan (my mom was sitting next to me giving me the weirdest look). With the talent those two men have they should have at LEAST had more time, and SHOULD be filling a big match spot on a PPV card.

Morrison helping Bryan up after the running knee and shaking his hand was a classy touch that I really quite enjoyed.

Other than that segment, I thought the whole show was kind of lame until the end. Punk's little "initiation" with the mystery man (who I believe has since been identified as Mason Ryan) and then accepting him into the Nexus was a nice touch.

However, I think that Barrett's Nexus on Smackdown (with the exception of Barrett himself- I just can't get behind the guy for some reason) has the better Superstars, especially now that they added Jackson. Although, the addition of Ryan to Punk's stable could be the RAW counterpart to that...

Anywho, I'm done rambling now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 18th, '11, 14:41

Serujuunin wrote: However, I think that Barrett's Nexus on Smackdown (with the exception of Barrett himself- I just can't get behind the guy for some reason) has the better Superstars, especially now that they added Jackson. Although, the addition of Ryan to Punk's stable could be the RAW counterpart to that...
That's just it. Ryan is Jackson's counterpart... which lead sto me beleive that there will be a feud coming at some point.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 18th, '11, 14:53

Big Red Machine wrote:
Serujuunin wrote: However, I think that Barrett's Nexus on Smackdown (with the exception of Barrett himself- I just can't get behind the guy for some reason) has the better Superstars, especially now that they added Jackson. Although, the addition of Ryan to Punk's stable could be the RAW counterpart to that...
That's just it. Ryan is Jackson's counterpart... which lead sto me beleive that there will be a feud coming at some point.
That I would like to see. I kind of hope this means that the brands will be blending a bit more because it seems to make for better storylines if the same guys aren't feuding with each other all the time (like Cena and Orton, thouh hy haven't for a while now thankfully).

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jan 18th, '11, 15:18

Big Red Machine wrote:Everyone will gang up on Henry (and Big Show, and Kane, and anyone else like that) to eliminate them!
Unless of course we go back to 1999 where he was eliminated by Chyna with no effort whatsoever...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 18th, '11, 15:46

kiel297 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Everyone will gang up on Henry (and Big Show, and Kane, and anyone else like that) to eliminate them!
Unless of course we go back to 1999 where he was eliminated by Chyna with no effort whatsoever...
This was also around the time that he was dating Mae Young, impregnated her with a hand, and had a date with a Chyna-tranny. I think it would be best if society blotted out all memories of Mark Henry during this period of time.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Aggro

Post by Aggro » Jan 18th, '11, 15:53

Big Red Machine wrote: This was also around the time that he was dating Mae Young, impregnated her with a hand, and had a date with a Chyna-tranny. I think it would be best if society blotted out all memories of Mark Henry during this period of time.
I'm guessing Mark Henry him self is still trying to block those memories! X_X

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jan 18th, '11, 16:18

I'll never be able to take Henry entirely seriously because that's the first I ever saw of him on WWF. Getting tossed over the top rope by a woman.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 18th, '11, 16:42

kiel297 wrote:I'll never be able to take Henry entirely seriously because that's the first I ever saw of him on WWF. Getting tossed over the top rope by a woman.
What's wrong with that? Women can kick just as much a** as men.

Aggro

Post by Aggro » Jan 18th, '11, 16:48

Serujuunin wrote:
kiel297 wrote:I'll never be able to take Henry entirely seriously because that's the first I ever saw of him on WWF. Getting tossed over the top rope by a woman.

And it wasn't just any woman, it was the Ninth Wonder Of The World!!

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 18th, '11, 16:51

Aggro wrote:
Serujuunin wrote:

And it wasn't just any woman, it was the Ninth Wonder Of The World!!
Yeah!!

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jan 18th, '11, 17:02

But of course, I was six years old, and didn't know Chyna was a dude in disguise. All I saw was this huge tough guy get tossed over the top by a chick, and I was like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? He must be WEAK."

Darkil

Post by Darkil » Jan 19th, '11, 08:12

Serujuunin wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
That I would like to see. I kind of hope this means that the brands will be blending a bit more because it seems to make for better storylines if the same guys aren't feuding with each other all the time (like Cena and Orton, thouh hy haven't for a while now thankfully).
I am hoping there will be a feud between the two groups. It seems like it will make some sense [even though my memories of NWO Wolfpac and NWO Hollywood are still fresh] and make both groups seem legit. I wonder if they will try to make one group faces or if it will be heels fighting one another...