BRM Reviews the 6/27/2011 Raw

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 6/27/2011 Raw

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 28th, '11, 00:46

YAY! Booker T is spinning the Raw Roulette wheel! That means that he won’t be sucking at commentary!

PUNK-HBK SEGMENT- great

Boy, it sure was lucky for Booker T that Kane was standing there JUST IN CASE someone landed on the question mark! And why the hell is Kane allowed to be here? He is a Smackdown guy!

CM PUNK vs. KANE- 4.5/10, but I understand the finish, and it makes sense. Cole was particularly good here.

NO COUNT-OUTS MATCH: Evan Bourne vs. Sin Cara- 6/10. Nothing too impressive. Sin Cara’s finisher sucks.
Don’t make a big deal about “giving the people the match they want to see… AND THEN CHANGE THE STIP! Also, if you are going to have a stip IT NEEDS TO MATTER!

BOOKER T, VICKIE, & KOFI SPINNING THE WHEEL- MORONIC!
1. The Raw GM gave KOFI the spin. Why is Vickie allowed to take it for him! This is the same stupidity as Austin beating up JBL and signing the Special Guest Ref contract instead of him! It would be like me going up to your boss at gunpoint and ordering him to write my name on your paycheck, the give it to me… and everyone accepting that you shouldn’t get a paycheck that month!
2. If Vickie is allowed to steal the spin, why doesn’t she get to make the choice?
3. Having a square where the person who makes the spin gets to choose, but having one of the wrestlers involved doing the spinning is ridiculously unfair to the other wrestler.

DOLPH ZIGGLER vs. KOFI KINGSTON- 6/10. Dear WWE… PLEASE give these guys 20 minutes!

BOOKER T, MARYSE, & ALBERTO DEL RIO SEGMENT- well done.

STEEL CAGE MATCH: Alberto Del Rio vs. Big Show- No rating. An outstanding example of why “predictable” and “awesome” are not mutually exclusive-WHOA! Didn’t see that part coming!

SUBMISSION MATCH: Kelly Kelly vs. Nikki Bella (w/Brie Bella)- 1.25/10. If you tap out in less than a minute and a half, you don’t deserve to be on the roster. It is just plain kayfabe sense.

DDP!

And then they make McIntyre look like an idiot for no reason. This guy was consistently putting on the MOTN on Smackdown last spring… then they take him off of TV for no reason. This guy has TONS of talent! Let him do his thing!

TORNADO MATCH: Rey Mysterio & Alex Riley vs. The Miz & Jack Swagger- 6.75/10. Great match. This stip is way too underused.

TABLES MATCH: R-Truth vs. John Cena- 6/10. Great booking on the finish.

CM PUNK PROMO- OH SH*T! At the same time… this was a work. If they didn’t shut the mic off after he said the words “Hulk Hogan,” or “Ring of Honor”… this was a work. They cut the mic off at JUST the right time so that we now all want to know what it is that Punk was going to tell us about Vince.

As I am writing this a few hours late, I already know that WWE has suspended Punk. I’m calling it now: At MITB, Punk will STEAL one of the MITB briefcases, then demand that he be given the title shot whenever he wants it (like I did with Foley way back in the BRM Books TNA thread on the other board).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

badnewzxl

Re: BRM Reviews the 6/27/2011 Raw

Post by badnewzxl » Jun 28th, '11, 04:04

thank GOD you, too, know this is work. I was thinking I was just being too cynical....

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jun 28th, '11, 15:51

The Punk situation is the best WWE work I've seen in a while. The fact that they're pushing kayfabe to its absolute limit is AWESOME! The majority of smarks are getting their panties in a bunch because they think CM Punk did a shoot and then got suspended legit, the marks obviously think he's suspended, and those of us that can smell a work a mile away love it too because it's such a great work. With one single promo this week, WWE have managed to take the ENTIRE WWE Universe by the balls, and now we're putty in their hands. We're all gonna tune in next week, because we wanna know the latest on the Punk situation, and then we're gonna keep tuning in, and then people are gonna buy the PPV because they want to see Punk win the WWE title and leave.

Everything about this angle rocks. I'm hoping that Punk's contract expires maybe a month or so after they're saying it does, and they book him to win the WWE Title and hold it hostage before finally being defeated for it. It would be a great way for Punk to leave, a great way to keep people interested, and a BRILLIANT way to kick off the second half of the year!

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jun 28th, '11, 16:00

kiel297 wrote:The Punk situation is the best WWE work I've seen in a while. The fact that they're pushing kayfabe to its absolute limit is AWESOME! The majority of smarks are getting their panties in a bunch because they think CM Punk did a shoot and then got suspended legit, the marks obviously think he's suspended, and those of us that can smell a work a mile away love it too because it's such a great work. With one single promo this week, WWE have managed to take the ENTIRE WWE Universe by the balls, and now we're putty in their hands. We're all gonna tune in next week, because we wanna know the latest on the Punk situation, and then we're gonna keep tuning in, and then people are gonna buy the PPV because they want to see Punk win the WWE title and leave.

Everything about this angle rocks. I'm hoping that Punk's contract expires maybe a month or so after they're saying it does, and they book him to win the WWE Title and hold it hostage before finally being defeated for it. It would be a great way for Punk to leave, a great way to keep people interested, and a BRILLIANT way to kick off the second half of the year!
hell, I argue it's THE best work WWE has ever done at sticking with kayfabe/taking it beyond the televised show

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jun 28th, '11, 16:06

badnewzxl wrote:hell, I argue it's THE best work WWE has ever done at sticking with kayfabe/taking it beyond the televised show
I can't disagree with you. WWE usually drops the ball. Last night, they picked the ball back up, and they're currently running faster than a speeding fucking bullet.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jun 28th, '11, 16:21

kiel297 wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:hell, I argue it's THE best work WWE has ever done at sticking with kayfabe/taking it beyond the televised show
I can't disagree with you. WWE usually drops the ball. Last night, they picked the ball back up, and they're currently running faster than a speeding F-word bullet.
the last promo WWE showed that felt that real was the one Rock did after Austin left; and Punk's was better....

kirbs2002

Post by kirbs2002 » Jun 28th, '11, 16:44

badnewzxl wrote:the last promo WWE showed that felt that real was the one Rock did after Austin left; and Punk's was better....
Are you forgetting Daniel Bryan tearing into Cole the week after his NXT elimination? I thought that was pretty awesome.
Reality TV is faker than "fake" wrestling!

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jun 28th, '11, 16:52

kirbs2002 wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:the last promo WWE showed that felt that real was the one Rock did after Austin left; and Punk's was better....
Are you forgetting Daniel Bryan tearing into Cole the week after his NXT elimination? I thought that was pretty awesome.
It just didn't have the impact of Punk's & Rock's; GREAT promo though....

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 28th, '11, 17:42

kirbs2002 wrote:
Daniel Bryan's interview with Striker after he got eliminate was a bit more legit. Styles quitting was nice too...

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jun 29th, '11, 05:44

The Awesome One wrote:But this CM Punk promo was the best ever..it was shocking....mentioned so many things normally not mentioned...Lesnar, Heyman, Hogan, NJPW, ROH.....Ring Of Honors PPV! (OK, he didn't go out and just say it but Punk has been hinting at it. He has only been calling himself the Best in the World for the past week. And what PPV was on sunday?
The Stone Cold t-shirt was such an epic Paul Heyman reference. Paul Heyman of course being the last person to go out wearing Stone Cold merch and cut an epic worked shoot promo :P

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 29th, '11, 23:25

Big Red Machine wrote: NO COUNT-OUTS MATCH: Evan Bourne vs. Sin Cara- 6/10. Nothing too impressive. Sin Cara’s finisher sucks.
Don’t make a big deal about “giving the people the match they want to see… AND THEN CHANGE THE STIP! Also, if you are going to have a stip IT NEEDS TO MATTER!
in all fairness, the move was botched by Bourne. Sin Cara is supposed to bring Bourne down with a Chicken Wing.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 29th, '11, 23:28

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: NO COUNT-OUTS MATCH: Evan Bourne vs. Sin Cara- 6/10. Nothing too impressive. Sin Cara’s finisher sucks.
in all fairness, the move was botched by Bourne. Sin Cara is supposed to bring Bourne down with a Chicken Wing.
Then Chavo botched it, too. If the move if too difficult for people, DON'T USE IT! When he first debuted for WWE, didn't he use some sort of Cyclorama/Solo Spanish Fly-type move? Why not go back to that?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 29th, '11, 23:36

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
Then Chavo botched it, too. If the move if too difficult for people, DON'T USE IT! When he first debuted for WWE, didn't he use some sort of Cyclorama/Solo Spanish Fly-type move? Why not go back to that?
yeah, chavo botched it too, even worse than Bourne. I agree, they should stop using it, or at least wait for someone they're 100% sure they can take it.