BRM reviews the 5/30/2011 Raw

Big Red Machine

BRM reviews the 5/30/2011 Raw

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 2nd, '11, 22:32

OPENING SEGMENT- I really wish there weren’t technical difficulties. R-Truth has been awesome.

KOFI KINGSTON vs. DOLPH ZIGGLER (w/Vickie Guerrero)- 6.25/10 If you give these guys more time, they will steal the show.

DEL RIO PROMO- okay

THE BELLA TWINS vs. KELLY KELLY & EVE TORRES- 4.25/10

COLE INTERVIEWS ALEX RILEY- Good stuff… until Cole hesitated so damn long before sating bastard.

REY MYSTERIO vs. CM PUNK (w/Mason Ryan)-6.75/10. Very good match

KARMA PROMO- Why has no promotion let this women talk before? This promo was AWESOME! FREAKING AWESOME!

THE BELLA’S STUFF- AWESOME (aside from the fact that they sounded wooden and scripted in the beginning). And Kong’s response was AWEOSOME! This might be the best segment in wrestling so far this year!

JACK SWAGGER vs. EVAN BOURNE- 4.75/10

R-TRUTH vs. JOHN CENA- No rating. Good storyline advancement (not yet, but there is a lot of stuff they can start from this). This shouldn’t have been a main event, though.

Overall, this week’s Raw was actually pretty good.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Re: BRM reviews the 5/30/2011 Raw

Post by Serujuunin » Jun 2nd, '11, 22:59

I will have to agree, storyline-wise anyway. Kofi's match with Ziggler was awesome, and really should have been given more time, and as much as Truth's match got him over as a heel, it was really annoying and shouldn't have been the main event... There should have been more solid wrestling. But I guess I can't complain, it's either good angles or good wrestling with the WWE...

I want to see how Truth's new heel persona works in a bigger match with a less annoying (in my opinion) tactic. I wanna see him beat the crap outta someone, 'cause I'm sure he could do it.

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Post by Lynas » Jun 3rd, '11, 19:22

I was shocked at Kharma too. I hate to sound sexist (and it's not intended this way...) BUT women in wrestling seldom sound convincing... but Kharma did it brilliantly... every word was executed perfectly, he body language was great... and when the Bellas came out, she offset the blatant scripted nature of their work... But it was great how she left it.... I just hope WWE keeps the Bellas around for the next 12 months... even if its just for that pay off.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jun 3rd, '11, 22:57

I totally agree. Women in wrestling always sound so scripted and fake, but Kharma did vey well. I was very pleased with how they did it, even though the Bellas sounded like dolls with pull string voices.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 4th, '11, 01:12

I think the reason that women sound so scripted is that they rarely have good characters. Compare any generic "I'm HOT!" character to Lita, or Lacey, or Allison Danger, or Mickie James now, or TBP's original heel stuff... there is just no comparison.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 4th, '11, 01:29

I don't think women sound better or worse than any male wrestler. There's good chicks on the mic as there are some bad ones. same with guys.

the problem with the bellas is how the script is written and truth be told, how they deliver. Usually, the bellas talk while together, and they're written to have Nikki say one thing, followed by Brie say another, then Nikki, Brie, Nikkie, Brie, etc etc. and all of it is supposed to be one single idea. So these are independent sentences that rarely ever get built upon and they (the bellas) simply just deliver and so it comes off as scripted.

look at what the bellas were doing when they were fighting each other for Dragon, they sounded more natural because they were exchanging instead of finishing off the sentence of the other.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jun 4th, '11, 09:59

You know, I agree with you there Cero... But I think another part of it is that women rarely get the chance to develop on the mic. They're not given a lot of interview time so they don't get the practice...