BRM Reviews the 10/26/2020 Raw (bad)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/26/2020 Raw (bad)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 26th, '20, 22:28

OPENING SEGMENT- meh
Drew comes out and talks about how he’s determined to get his title back. Miz and Morrison come out and drone on about Miz having MITB and having cashed it in on Orton right here in Orlando ten years ago. Drew eventually got sick of them and beat them up. They even got the final shot in on his injured knee but it was still Drew who was standing tall at the end. I guess this did what it needed to, but my patience was already wearing thin by the time Drew got annoyed and attacked Miz. Drew said he ahd an idea he would pitch to management.

Yup. They’re still pitching Survivor Series as “the one night a year when Raw and Smackdown Superstars compete head to head” even though such a thing has happened on FIVE OF THE PAST SEVEN SHOWS WWE HAS DONE (even if you want to ignore the two draft shows, it’s still four out of five, which is actually an even worse percentage). Hell, the segment we just saw featured someone who wrestled someone from the other brand just last night!
For the rest of the month we’ll be having matches to determine which wrestlers get to wrestle at Survivor Series in a bunch of matches that don’t matter.
One of those matches will feature “arguably Raw’s fastest-rising star, Matt Riddle.” This would be the same Matt Riddle who is 0-1 since coming to Raw, and hasn’t won anything other than a tag team match in almost two months.” No. You can’t f*cking argue that. Not at all.

Shockingly, Drew’s idea has turned out to be himself vs. Miz.

AJ STYLES PROMO- bad
Not only is he complaining about not automatically being put on the Survivor Series team as if Survivor Series matters, but AJ is complaining about not being named the completely unofficial and totally pointless “captain” of the team. Most of the other stuff AJ said was fine, albeit I hate the Southern territorial heel act.

WINNER QUALIFIES FOR THE RAW MEN’S SURVIVOR SERIES TEAM: Jeff Hardy vs. AJ Styles (w/?)-5.75/10
Yes, they’ve taken away Jordan Omogbehin’s name from the graphic now. Why is he even on TV if haven’t picked a name out yet? If you think his given name is too hard to pronounce then that’s fine, but just give him a different name! Frank Griffin! There. See that? I just did it. Tom Jones. I just did it again. Patrice Bourdeaux. Now I did it a third time. That took me less than forty-five seconds! There is no excuse for them to have not come up with a name in OVER A WEEK!

Jeff dived at AJ’s nameless friend, who caught him. I guess this doesn’t count as a DQ because Jeff initiated he contact, but if he wasn’t going to slam him down (which would have been silly because the referee was watching) why did Omogbehin bother catching Jeff at all instead of getting out of the way and just letting Jeff splat on the floor?
AJ won mostly clean, as it was Jeff distracting himself with Omogbehin on the floor, thus wasting time before a possible Swanton Bomb. AJ won soon after with the Phenomenal Forearm, so AJ becomes the first member of Team Raw for Snorevivor Series.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
The Drifter attacked Jeff from behind with a guitar, and I think he hit Jeff with it wrong because instead of shattering, it broke at the stem. That had to REALLY suck for Jeff.

R-TRUTH INTERVIEW- The people chasing his title will be wrestling each other tonight, so Truth, being a moron, is going to go sit at ringside and watch.

DREW GULAK & AKIRA TOZAWA vs. LUCHA HOUSE PARTY (Gran Metalik & Lincé Dorado)-
Despite no longer being in the group (and, actually, being on the other show), Kalisto’s mask is still featured in Lucha House Party’s entrance graphic. There is no excuse for not having changed this by now.
Like a total douchebag, Truth decided to come out in the middle of this match, complete with entrance music. He skips around the ring, so Tozawa hops off the apron to follow him- making sure to make a cartoonish “shhh” motion, first- and a referee comes out from the timekeeper’s area to count the pin when Tozawa rolls Truth up.
Why is that referee there? And don’t tell me “it makes sense that they would have a referee there because the 24/7 Champion was going to be there.” First of all, the way they have portrayed it from the moment the title was introduced is that the wrestler trying to win the belt has to bring his/her own referee along, so them suddenly assigning one to a location where they know Truth will be goes against their established protocol. Secondly, if they were to change their protocol, it would make a lot more sense to do what I have suggested in the past, which is have a referee assigned to follow the champion around, in which case the referee should have come out with Truth, not been in place already.
Truth defended himself against Tozawa. Shouldn’t that cause a DQ in the current match?
Being dumbest human on Earth, R-Truth wanders right into the ring. Stuff happened. Metalik pinned Gulak with a diving crossbody over Truth’s head, but no one cared because the attention jumped right to Tozawa pulling Truth out of the ring to try to pin him again. More sh*t happened. Truth got away without getting pinned. I hope the person who came up with the idea for this title gets a flat tire every single day for the rest of their life.

FIREFLY FUNHOUSE- terrible, like usual.
Alexa Bliss! gives Ramblin’ Rabbi tea with arsenic in it. That’s not me fantasy booking. That really happened. If I was fantasy booking, she would have given the tea to Bray. You can add people who write these segments to the list of people who I wish would get flat tires. And people who like them.
They ended this by plugging that Randy Orton will appear on Moment of Bliss later tonight, so everything they did in this segment served no purpose at all. F*ck you.

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS KEITH LEE- good build for a match against Braun Strowman. I would also say that he built up his match with Elias well, but it’s a Survivor Series qualifier, so that’s not possible.

ADAM PEARCE, NIA JAX, & SHAYNA BASZLER BACKSTAGE- bad
Apparently the men have to qualify to be on their Survivor Series teams, but the women are just getting picked by management. Nia and Shayna, of course, each assume that they are the captain and are submitting a list of teammates to Pearce. He tells them he’ll think about it.

WINNER QUALIFIES FOR THE RAW MEN’S SURVIVOR SERIES TEAM: Keith Lee vs. “The Drifter” Elias Sampson- 4/10
Keith Lee needed a distraction from Jeff Hardy’s music to beat a total midcarder. This is not good. After the match, Jeff came out from behind Elias and hit him with a guitar, so this week is a total wash. You couldn’t have Lee win clean and then have Jeff hit Elias with the guitar next week? Also, this feud is now five segments old (one when Elias returned, one last Monday, one last night, and two tonight), and in all five the big moment has been someone swinging a guitar at someone else (and in four of the five cases, hitting the other person with it). And these people have the gall to call themselves “Creative.”

THE HURT BUSINESS STOP SOMEONE FROM USING THE BATHROOM, THEN LAUGH ABOUT IT- really

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS RANDY ORTON- GREAT!

HURT BUSINESS PROMO- very good
Their deal with WWE management is that if the Hurt Business take out Retribution, they will be rewarded with title shots. Hey, look! Something logical! It’s right over there next to that Thunderdome screen with the spotted owl riding the northern white rhinoceros.

EIGHT-MAN ELIMINATION TAG TEAM MATCH: Hurt Business vs. Retribution (w/Reckoning)- 4.5/10
The first elimination was MVP, who was distracted when Mia Yim got into the ring and started having convulsions. And yes, the referee did not call her “Reckoning” when he ordered her to get out of the ring. He called her “Mia.” I believe this dirty pin via roll-up and distraction is the first fall Retribution have scored.
After WAY too long, she admitted that she was faking it, and was ejected from ringside. After a commercial break, Lashley speared Slapjack and pinned him. He then brawled on the outside with T-Bar and dumped him over the barricade at seven, but instead of heading back to the ring, Lashley hopped over the barricade to keep fighting him and we got a double-count-out, which felt painfully forced because it came just moments after the announcers said “Retribution have to figure out some way to eliminate Bobby Lashley.”
Shelton and Cedric teamed up to eliminate Mace. Then Ali, down two to one, got himself DQed with a chair. And what a great advertisement for Survivor Series this will be, when WWE puta s bunch of top stars against each other and then will surely chicken out of giving clean finishes.

ANGEL GARZA HIS ON MANDY ROSE AND DANA BROOKE AT THE SAME TIME, AND THEN STOPS TO TURN HIS ATTENTION TO NIA JAX- Yes, this really happened.

NIA JAX, SHAYNA BASZLER, DANA BROOKE, & MANDY ROSE SEGMENT- bad
They bickered over who should be in charge of the Survivor Series team that none of them are even confirmed to be on. Then, in possibly the most unintentionally hilarious moment in WWE history. Dana Brooke threatened Shayna Baszler. I laughed so hard I fell out of my chair. I laughed even harder and started rolling on the floor when Nia Jax responded to this by asking Shayna “are we on Punk’d?”

DREW MCINTYRE vs. THE MIZ (w/John Morrison)- 5.5/10
Drew overcame interference by Morrison and got the win, because when you put MITB on someone, it’s definitely a good idea to immediately make them look like a chump.

NEW DAY PROMO- meh
They made fun of Dawkins for being boring because they’re facing the Street Profits at Survivor Series. Asuka wandered into their promo and rambled a bit, then shouted “WE WANT THE SMOKE!” She’s lucky they’re not the Inner Circle or she’d be due a vicious beating with a sack of oranges.
They also plugged several other matches, including Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton and Asuka vs. Sasha (because that’s definitely not a match people are sick of). MVP showed up and plugged Lashley vs. Zayn, then warned New Day that the Hurt Business were coming for the tag titles. Asuka cut a promo on New Day’s behalf, and they all chanted “NEW DAY ROCKS!” Why is Asuka best buddies with New Day all of a sudden?
MVP walked away, disgusted by this buffoonery.

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS DREW MCINTYRE- For what feels like the eighth strait show, he says he’ll interrupt Randy Orton’s promo by attacking him.

ADAM PEARCE & PAT BUCK INTRODUCE THE RAW WOMEN’S SURVIVOR SERIES TEAM- Shockingly the first four people announced are the two teams of women who were bickering about the team earlier. More bickering occurred between Nia and Shayna over show should be the captain. The fifth member will be the winner of the…

FATAL FOUR-WAY TO QUALIFY FOR THE RAW WOMEN’S SURVIVOR SERIES TEAM: Peyton Royce vs. Lacey Evans vs. Nikki Cross vs. Lana- 3.75/10
They told a decent story with the four-way rules, culminating in Lana stealing a pin. Lana, being an idiot, went and hugged Nia Jax, so Nia kept her in a bear-hug and then put her through the announcers’ table.

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS RANDY ORTON- good
Randy says that if The Fiend shows up at a Moment of Bliss, he’ll kick The Fiend’s ass.

RETRIBUTION PROMO- Poor Ali, trying so hard to cut a good promo for this horribly lost cause.

WINNER QUALIFIES FOR THE RAW MEN’S SURVIVOR SERIES TEAM: Matt Riddle vs. Sheamus- 7.5/10
Sheamus worked over Riddle’s midsection and won clean with a Brogue Kick. The f*cking Drifter needs to be protected, but Matt Riddle can lose clean.

A MOMENT OF BLISS WITH SPECIAL GUEST RANDY ORTON-
Alexa is being all happy. She tells Randy that he should sit in the chair and not to be worried because she “won’t bite.” This segment can make no such promises.
Hey, look. Alexa made a sly reference to that time Randy Orton burned down Bray Wyatt’s house and probably murdered a cameraman. Yes, let’s remind everyone of exactly how terrible a track record Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt has.
Randy asks where The Fiend is. Alexa giggles, and Drew McIntyre comes out. Alexa sits on the turnbuckle, laughing, while Drew beats Randy. Then The Fiend made the lights go out and made Alexa disappear. Also, Randy used this opportunity to go up the ramp, because I guess Randy can see in the magical darkness without night vision goggles. Or maybe The Fiend teleported Randy up the ramp. Who knows?
The Fiend showed up behind Randy, but Randy ignored him and went to fight Drew instead. We went off the air with them still brawling.

This was a bad episode of Raw. This is always the most frustrating time of the WWE, so I’ll probably just be taking Raw off until after Sh*tvivor Series is over. Maybe Smackdown, too, if this week’s show sucks. I’ve got a whole lot of DVDs sitting unwatched on my shelf. Maybe I’ll use this time to knock off a whole bunch of CHIKARA or PWG or EVOLVE.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/26/2020 Raw (bad)

Post by cero2k » Oct 27th, '20, 10:06

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 26th, '20, 22:28

EIGHT-MAN ELIMINATION TAG TEAM MATCH: Hurt Business vs. Retribution (w/Reckoning)- 4.5/10
The first elimination was MVP, who was distracted when Mia Yim got into the ring and started having convulsions. And yes, the referee did not call her “Reckoning” when he ordered her to get out of the ring. He called her “Mia.” I believe this dirty pin via roll-up and distraction is the first fall Retribution have scored.
for the sake of completeness and accuracy, it was a "Possession"

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 27th, '20, 10:09

cero2k wrote: Oct 27th, '20, 10:06
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 26th, '20, 22:28

for the sake of completeness and accuracy, it was a "Possession"

So... did Bray Wyatt possess her... to help them, even though he doesn't like them?

Also... Mia, just be a heel and let the person get upset!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 27th, '20, 11:05

I had the thought the other day Retribution is just gonna fail in storyline, as they're purposely booking it to not work out just as an easy way to get them on the main roster after a quick lazy split, because this literally can't be going anywhere else and there's obviously no other possible point.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 28th, '20, 10:27

I was 100 percent serious btw. I know these guys have been shut down immediately, and no one probably wants to talk about them, but that's my honest opinion lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 28th, '20, 11:08

KILLdozer wrote: Oct 28th, '20, 10:27 I was 100 percent serious btw. I know these guys have been shut down immediately, and no one probably wants to talk about them, but that's my honest opinion lol.
I think it's gonna fail because they had no actual plans for it. Even if we ignore the idiocy of hiring them and drafting them and everyone knowing they were in NXT to begin with and all that, the idea and gimmick is an interesting one with potential, but you can clearly see that they're booking day to day and that they're not even fully behind them as they keep jobbing to everyone. I remember the day that Ali got added and everyone pretended it was long term planning and that he was now gonna be a big player and all, and a week later he got cut from cutting his promo on the 3 hr show.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 28th, '20, 11:29

cero2k wrote: Oct 28th, '20, 11:08
KILLdozer wrote: Oct 28th, '20, 10:27 I was 100 percent serious btw. I know these guys have been shut down immediately, and no one probably wants to talk about them, but that's my honest opinion lol.
I think it's gonna fail because they had no actual plans for it. Even if we ignore the idiocy of hiring them and drafting them and everyone knowing they were in NXT to begin with and all that, the idea and gimmick is an interesting one with potential, but you can clearly see that they're booking day to day and that they're not even fully behind them as they keep jobbing to everyone. I remember the day that Ali got added and everyone pretended it was long term planning and that he was now gonna be a big player and all, and a week later he got cut from cutting his promo on the 3 hr show.
I'll do you one further and say that the gimmick doesn't even have much potential. When has "I'm complaining about my push" ever worked for anyone?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 28th, '20, 12:49

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 28th, '20, 11:29
I'll do you one further and say that the gimmick doesn't even have much potential. When has "I'm complaining about my push" ever worked for anyone?
true. I wonder if live fans could have pushed behind Ali and made it work

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 28th, '20, 13:37

cero2k wrote: Oct 28th, '20, 12:49
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 28th, '20, 11:29
true. I wonder if live fans could have pushed behind Ali and made it work
Maybe, but in that case I'd argue that it's still not the gimmick working because they're supposed to be heels, and at that point Ali would essentially be a babyface.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation