WWE Production values are f*cked.

Big Red Machine

Re: WWE Production values are f*cked.

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 19th, '19, 12:36

KILLdozer wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 12:33
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 12:31
Serujuunin wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 11:16

This drives me mad too. So many of them have garbage names. I like the Claymore kick though, mostly because the claymore is a giant ass sword and also an explosive, so it conjures the right type of imagery for a move that’s supposed to be a signature finish.

With that, I think some guys need different finishers. I love Balor but I think he needs something other than what he’s got... They teased another one a bit in NXT but it never really caught on, and that’s sad. And Seth Rollins desperately needs a signature that’s his. How he’s been around so long and not found one that works is beyond me.
Move names don't bug me when they don't suck (and, being the nit-picker that I am, it should just be Claymore, not Claymore Kick. "Claymore Kick" sounds stupid because you don't kick people with a sword, and you don't need to tell us it's a kick because WE CAN SEE THAT!" Also, it's noun-noun, making the "kick" part irrelevant.

The names that bug me the most are some of the ones that sound completely goofy like the "Cheeky Nandos Kick" or "Pip Pip Cheerio" (not meaning to pick solely on Will Ospreay, but he's definitely the first guy that comes to mind). This seems to be a British thing more than anything else, though.

Rollins' Curb Stomp is pretty unique.
YOU don't kick people with a sword...

Really though...I don't even think it needs a name...it's essentially just somewhat of a big booty/standard jumping kick...who cares what it's called?

Remember when like 3 guys used big boots and 3 other guys used chokeslams and no one cared what they were called?
Because this is name makes it sound cooler and more Scottish.

And the chokeslam doens't need a name because it's the most awesome move in wrestling history.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Feb 19th, '19, 12:38

KILLdozer wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 12:33 Remember when like 3 guys used big boots and 3 other guys used chokeslams and no one cared what they were called?
Yes! And, it was fine! It was better, imo.

It did me in when they renamed The Labelle Lock to The YES! Lock. It already had a name! They didn't need to do that, nobody would say it naturally, and it's silly - it takes the seriousness out of the hold.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 19th, '19, 12:42

Bob-O wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 12:38
KILLdozer wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 12:33 Remember when like 3 guys used big boots and 3 other guys used chokeslams and no one cared what they were called?
Yes! And, it was fine! It was better, imo.

It did me in when they renamed The Labelle Lock to The YES! Lock. It already had a name! They didn't need to do that, nobody would say it naturally, and it's silly - it takes the seriousness out of the hold.
Well then due to all of the overdone nonsense of that entire story it's simply the Labelle Lock again.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 19th, '19, 14:03

Bob-O wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 11:06 ...and naming all the god. damn. finishers.

Dirty Deeds, and Claymore Kicks, and YES! Locks, and all that... just stop. Some moves need a name (Stunner, RKO, GTS...), but it doesn't work if EVERYONE does it. It's annoying.
This drives me mad too. So many of them have garbage names. I like the Claymore kick though, mostly because the claymore is a giant ass sword and also an explosive, so it conjures the right type of imagery for a move that’s supposed to be a signature finish.

With that, I think some guys need different finishers. I love Balor but I think he needs something other than what he’s got... They teased another one a bit in NXT but it never really caught on, and that’s sad. And Seth Rollins desperately needs a signature that’s his. How he’s been around so long and not found one that works is beyond me.
Move names don't bug me when they don't suck (and, being the nit-picker that I am, it should just be Claymore, not Claymore Kick. "Claymore Kick" sounds stupid because you don't kick people with a sword, and you don't need to tell us it's a kick because WE CAN SEE THAT!" Also, it's noun-noun, making the "kick" part irrelevant.

The names that bug me the most are some of the ones that sound completely goofy like the "Cheeky Nandos Kick" or "Pip Pip Cheerio" (not meaning to pick solely on Will Ospreay, but he's definitely the first guy that comes to mind). This seems to be a British thing more than anything else, though.

Is that his actual finisher? He doesn’t appear to use it really often. He kind of sometimes does the Falcon Arrow and that other one I think is called the Phoenix Splash? But he’s kind of all over the place that it’s hard to say if any of those really count lol

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 19th, '19, 14:42

Serujuunin wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 14:03

Is that his actual finisher? He doesn’t appear to use it really often. He kind of sometimes does the Falcon Arrow and that other one I think is called the Phoenix Splash? But he’s kind of all over the place that it’s hard to say if any of those really count lol
I'm pretty sure he's been using the curb stomp relatively regularly.
The Phoenix Splash he's only done on pretty rare occasions (and even going back to his indy days when he was a big finisher overkill guy he still only used the Phoenix Splash rarely)
I'm pretty sure he only won with the Falcon Arrow once.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 19th, '19, 14:49

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 14:42

The Phoenix Splash he's only done on pretty rare occasions (and even going back to his indy days when he was a big finisher overkill guy he still only used the Phoenix Splash rarely)
Regardless, the fact that I, a dedicated viewer, can’t tell what his signature move is, suggests to me that they need to make it a bigger deal, or he needs a more impactful one. There’s nothing wrong with it per se, it just needs a better presentation.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 19th, '19, 14:54

Serujuunin wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 14:49
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 19th, '19, 14:42

Regardless, the fact that I, a dedicated viewer, can’t tell what his signature move is, suggests to me that they need to make it a bigger deal, or he needs a more impactful one. There’s nothing wrong with it per se, it just needs a better presentation.
Fair point.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 19th, '19, 15:02

The Falcon Arrow/Superplex thing where he won with it that one time was more of an instant surprise victory than it was using at as a finisher. He does the frog splash as well at times. The springboard knee from the early shield days and onward has become much less common, and that "ripcord knee"/ shortarm knee strike thing he was doing has all but ceased to exist it seems.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 20th, '19, 15:24

finally got around to this weeks' keller show. I think it applies to this topic

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 20th, '19, 15:36

cero2k wrote: Feb 20th, '19, 15:24 finally got around to this weeks' keller show. I think it applies to this topic

I’m going to listen to this next time I’m at the painting table sometime this week. It’s a big topic lately for many podcasts and wrestling journalists about how WWE presents their programming.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 20th, '19, 20:01

cero2k wrote: Feb 20th, '19, 15:24 finally got around to this weeks' keller show. I think it applies to this topic

It does. I've really been enjoying my Torch subscription this month, but I'll probably cut it for money reasons (I can still get Wade's post-shows for free but with the ads).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 20th, '19, 20:28

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 20th, '19, 20:01

It does. I've really been enjoying my Torch subscription this month, but I'll probably cut it for money reasons (I can still get Wade's post-shows for free but with the ads).
i'd pay double if he would stop taking calls.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 20th, '19, 23:08

cero2k wrote: Feb 20th, '19, 20:28
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 20th, '19, 20:01

i'd pay double if he would stop taking calls.
LOL!

I just discovered that he does his own audio recaps as well, but I like his interplay with the other hosts.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 21st, '19, 09:03

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 20th, '19, 23:08

LOL!

I just discovered that he does his own audio recaps as well, but I like his interplay with the other hosts.
i'm ok with the other hosts and even the live correspondent, it's the random calls that get on my nerves because the rant is getting juicy and then he takes a call