BRM Reviews the 7/10/2017 Raw

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/10/2017 Raw

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 11th, '17, 04:02

OPENING VIDEO PACKAGE- they cut the footage and pictures of the finish in such a way as to not make Roman look like a total idiot. Then they showed us that he is a homicidal maniac, not worthy of such preferential treatment.

OPENING SEGMENT- meh
Colin Cassady came out to cut a promo. He has new music, which seems as if it was designed for the sole purpose of hammering home how generic he will be once this feud with Enzo is over. His promo started out pretty dull, but I thought he got pretty good by the end.
Big Show came out to interrupt him, which got a big pop. Michael Cole immediately reminded us that Cass had previously accused Big Show of being behind the attacks that Cass himself was behind, so Show has reason to be angry with him. Personally, I think this would have been better if Big Show had told us this before going after Cass rather than just walking up to him and headbutting him (which did not look good at all) to start a brawl. They brawl was short and not very good.

The announcers tell us we’re getting an update on Braun Strowman’s condition later tonight. None of the announcers said anything that could even possibly be construed as criticizing Roman Reigns’ actions, and there was no suggestion that Kurt Angle would take any action against Roman for them, either.

“THE DRIFTER” ELIAS SAMPSON vs. FINN BALOR- 5.5/10
The match was fine for the time it got, and they told their story (Sampson worked over Balor’s arm) well. The Hardys came out to celebrate with Balor after his win. Then their music played, and it kind of felt like they were upstaging him, but apparently they have a match next.
I laughed my ass off at Corey Graves making fun of Booker T for saying the non-word “contention-ship.”

THE HARDY BOYZ PROMO- Cole said they have a match, but they’re out here in street clothes, talking. They’re not even trying to hide the Broken Hardys catchphrases. They cut a great babyface promo. Then Gallows & Anderson, who I completely forgot existed, came out to interrupt them and call them old. Matt challenged them to a match right now, which was accepted and a referee was sent out so we got…

THE HARDY BOYZ vs. LUKE GALLOWS & KARL ANDERSON- 5.5/10
Pretty much a clean win for Gallows & Anderson, which is not what I was expecting.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- THE REVIVAL ARE BACK! And they’re beating the crap out of the Hardys. This was good except for the fact that Cole had just told us that Balor and the Hardys have become such good friends recently, which makes Balor kind of look like a jerk for not coming out to help his friends.

THE MIZZIES- bad
Can someone please explain to me why WWE let Miz go on TV and do this? He’s promoting a match or anything, and he’s not interviewing anyone, so what benefit does the company gain from Miz, orchestrating a circle-jerk for himself, his wife, and his lackeys?
Ambrose eventually comes out and attacks Miz. I like how he was angry enough about last night’s finish to come out here and attack Miz, but not angry enough to interrupt Miz’s bullsh*t awards show to do so. Dean is outnumbered 3-on-1 but Seth Rollins (who Miz also insulted) came out to help him.

AMBROSE & ROLLINS BACKSTAGE- Ambrose is suspicious of Rollins’ motives because of Rollins’ previous betrayal, and tells Seth to stay out of his business. Good.

SASHA BANKS & BAYLEY vs ALEXA BLISS! & NIA JAX- 4.75/10
Corey Graves criticizes Sasha Banks for attacking Alexa after their match last night because she didn’t like the outcome. It’s been over twenty-two hours since Roman Reigns, in a similar situation, TRIED TO MURDER SOMEONE, and not one person has criticized his actions yet.
Bayley spent the entire match getting the sh*t beaten out of her, but then they let her roll Alexa up for the win. I assume this means we’re getting a four-way at Summer Slam, but they’ve made Bayley look like such a loser for the past few months that I don’t want to see her anywhere near the title. If they want to stick another babyface into the title picture it should be Mickie James (who also has unresolved issues with Alexa over a title shot dating back to their time on Smackdown).

GOLDUST PROMO- great.

We got a recap of the ambulance match and Roman’s attempt to murder Strowman, and for some reason I only just noticed now that Kurt Angle shouted “someone call 911!” and thanks to years of CZW clips on YouTube, I cannot hear that sentence without hearing John House shouting it.

R-TRUTH vs. GOLDUST- 4.5/10
Clean win for Goldust.

Michael Cole claimed that Samoa Joe took Brock Lesnar “to the limit” last night in their match that didn’t come close to ten minutes. F*ck off.

KURT ANGLE UPDATES US ON BRAUN STROWMAN’S CONDITION- bad
He says that “last night- as they sometimes do in the WWE- things got a little out of hand.” IT’S ATTEMPTED MURDER! I think that qualifies as more than “a little” out of hand! The update is that Braun refused medical treatment so Kurt doesn’t know “if or when he’ll return... but as the saying goes, the show must go on.”
ATTEMPTED F*CKING MURDER!

KURT ANGLE BRINGS OUT BROCK LESNAR- he asks Brock and Heyman if they want to hear his idea for #1 contender for Summer Slam. Heyman basically said that they didn’t care. Then Roman Reign’s music hit, and everyone booed him because killing people is wrong.
Almost a full twenty-four hours after he ATTEMPTED TO MURDER ONE OF HIS CO-WORKERS, someone finally admonishes Roman in some way for it, with Kurt saying “Roman, you’ve got a lot of nerve coming out here after what you pulled last night,” like he tried to steal the money from the gimmick table rather than try to commit f*cking homicide.
Roman grabs the mic. Someone should warn him that anything he says can and will be used against him in a court of law. Roman says the following:
“Let me get this straight: I’m standing in the ring with Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, and the “father of hardcore” himself, Paul Heyman, and you said I went too far? Are you kidding me?”
NO, Roman. We’re not kidding you. YOU TRIED TO END SOMEONE’S LIFE! For no reason other than you didn’t like him and you were upset you lost a wrestling match to him! WHAT DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT THIS?!
Roman’s defense (which is factually incorrect because Brock Lesnar was not part of the Attitude Era) was basically that “people in the Attitude Era used to do crazy stuff, so why can’t I?” BECAUSE THIS IS ATTEMPTED MURDER, YOU PSYCHOPATH! (Yes, that did occasionally happen in the Attitude Era, no one ever treated any of that as if it was somehow okay like is happening for Roman here). Kurt responds by saying “that was then, this is now,” and at that point it all becomes clear. The latest scheme to get people to cheer Roman is to portray him as the guy who will usher in a new Attitude Era. Because making him an American Patriot against an evil foreigner didn’t work, trying to glue him to Sasha Banks didn’t work, having him bump the hated Stephanie McMahon didn’t work, bring The Rock back to endorse him didn’t work, and having him beat everyone and almost never job cleanly didn’t work, so why not try this. That definitely makes more sense than just turning him heel, right?

Roman tells Kurt “you should thank me, because you didn’t know how to handle Braun Strowman.” Yes, Roman tried to kill a man and is now claiming he should be thanked for doing so. The end of the sentence I quoted above was “and you’re never around to” (directed at Brock), which greatly amused the champion, who laughed and got in Roman’s face. Kurt got between them. Roman suggests that he be rewarded for his crime by being given a world title match. Hey, it worked for Randy Orton, right?
Roman wants the title shot a Summer Slam. Heyman says he likes the idea but Brock yanks the microphone away from him and says “you’ve got to be kidding me. You actually think you deserve a shot at this? You don’t deserve jack-sh*t.” Hooray for Brock Lesnar, the only man willing to stand up to this horrible criminal.
Then Joe came out. Brock immediately pointed out that he kicked Joe’s ass last night, and he’s right. Joe talks a good game at Brock, and points out that Roman has never beaten him. Heyman says that Roman should get the title match, then screams that Joe will never get another shot at Brock. Joe and Brock go nose-to-nose and why the f*ck did these idiots totally kill this match by having Joe job to Brock in less time than it takes me to heat up fish sticks?
Joe and Roman start having words. Kurt books them against each other in a #1 contendership match last night. You know who would be more worthy of a #1 contendership match? SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY WON THEIR MATCH LAST NIGHT.
The segment was very bad. Roman’ very presence is a problem right now, and his smug demeanor made it worse, while Joe’s bravado was completely neutered by his quick loss to Brock last night.

Corey Graves has to go for mysterious text message reasons. When we come back from commercial, he and Kurt Angle are worried. We tease Kurt’s secret. He says he might lose his family and his job over this. He says that he’ll go public with his secret next week. If I’m the person sending these text messages then I’m just going to preempt Kurt by spoiling his secret tomorrow morning. Or even right now.

CEDRIC ALEXANDER & AKIRA TOZAWA (w/Titus O’Neil) vs. NOAM DAR & NEVILLE (w/Alicia Fox)- 6/10
They claim the Cedric vs. Dar feud will end tomorrow night on 205 Live with an I Quit Match. We can only hope.
Tozawa wins Neville after circumstances similar to his loss last night, so he’s getting another title shot at some point.

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS SETH ROLLINS- Rollins wasn’t good, and Charly was given dialogue that made her come off like a jerk.

BRAY WYATT PROMO- slightly better than the standard drivel.

SETH ROLLINS vs. BRAY WYATT- 8/10
Booker tries to tell us that it’s important for these guys to get the win here because that will help them get a title shot, and he actually said that “a loss right here to Seth Rollins will send Bray Wyatt to the back of the bus” (and he later said the same thing about Seth). Normally I’d applaud Booker for trying to pretend this is an actual sport where the results matter, but the fact that two guys who lost last night have been put into a #1 contendership match just makes Booker look silly here. It’s actually pretty ironic that the one time Booker is saying something that normally wouldn’t be stupid, WWE’s stupid booking conspires to make Booker’s statement stupid.
These two had a really awesome match, with Bray working over Seth’s head and neck while Seth worked over Bray’s hand- which the announcers constantly reminded us is the same hand that poked Seth in the eye last night to help Bray earn his win illicitly. Bray won this match after Seth got poked in the eye again.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Bray magically teleports out of the ring for no reason. Equally for no reason, we cut a camera walking though the crowd with the Miz-Tourage, who show up to beat Seth down. Dean makes the save with a chair.

KURT TALKS TO A MYSTERIOUS PERSON ON THE PHONE- they seem to be teasing that he is either having an affair or has an illegitimate kid or something. The mystery person will be on next week’s show with Kurt to confess their dark secret.

A very bad episode of Raw who’s only saving grace an awesome main event. And considering that he was in the ring feuding with two heels, I assume Roman is supposed to be a babyface despite trying to murder someone last night.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 7/10/2017 Raw

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 11th, '17, 10:16

Would you stop with the tried to kill him already? Lol.

So Dixie Carter is going to actually be a part of this upcoming Kurt Angle thing on The Network (idk how you bums haven't seen about this.), Which itself is wild, but what if she debuts next week on Raw for the Kurt Angle thing?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 11th, '17, 10:25

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 11th, '17, 11:36

KILLdozer wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 10:16 Would you stop with the tried to kill him already? Lol.
No! The world must me made aware of this terrible thing so that the guilty party can be punished.
KILLdozer wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 10:16 So Dixie Carter is going to actually be a part of this upcoming Kurt Angle thing on The Network (idk how you bums haven't seen about this.), Which itself is wild, but what if she debuts next week on Raw for the Kurt Angle thing?
Hmmm...
I hadn't considered that the mystery person might be Dixie. That does seem possible.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 11th, '17, 11:47

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 11:36
KILLdozer wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 10:16 Would you stop with the tried to kill him already? Lol.
No! The world must me made aware of this terrible thing so that the guilty party can be punished.
KILLdozer wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 10:16 So Dixie Carter is going to actually be a part of this upcoming Kurt Angle thing on The Network (idk how you bums haven't seen about this.), Which itself is wild, but what if she debuts next week on Raw for the Kurt Angle thing?
Hmmm...
I hadn't considered that the mystery person might be Dixie. That does seem possible.
This is the new WWE, where you could almost shoot someone and become number 1 contender! Try to drown them in an I Quit match! Tye them to train tracks! It DOESN'T MATTER!

Yeah though, some way or another I think Dixie could tie into it all , especially seeing how she's gonna be on 24, it's perfect sense.

I'm just unsure of what it would be involving, other than some kind of obvious TNA thing...which is absolutely possible at this point.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 11th, '17, 12:22

After seeing the end I'm not sure what to make. I'll actually give them the benefit of thinking they'll actually go with something different than the cliche obvious affair or illegitimate child way out.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 11th, '17, 22:31

After reading your review, I don't even know if I want to watch RAW... I know I just started doing review blogs of my own but, I've been so frustrated with the direction of the product that I'm honestly just thinking I'll catch the Hardys and Balor for RAW, and Styles and Nakamura for Smackdown, and use the rest of my time for something more constructive.

With the depth of talent on both rosters, I'm legitimately bamboozled as to how they've managed to screw things up so badly.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 11th, '17, 22:31

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 04:02
Clean win for Goldust.
months of build up and all they got was a clean win and a 4.5/10

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 11th, '17, 22:52

cero2k wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 22:31
Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 04:02
Clean win for Goldust.
months of build up and all they got was a clean win and a 4.5/10
And the weird part is that it didn't even register with me that this was the result of months of build until you just pointed it out. That's quite the level of not caring... and I actually liked all of their promos.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 11th, '17, 22:53

Serujuunin wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 22:31 After reading your review, I don't even know if I want to watch RAW... I know I just started doing review blogs of my own but, I've been so frustrated with the direction of the product that I'm honestly just thinking I'll catch the Hardys and Balor for RAW, and Styles and Nakamura for Smackdown, and use the rest of my time for something more constructive.

With the depth of talent on both rosters, I'm legitimately bamboozled as to how they've managed to screw things up so badly.
This isn't a bad week to skip (which is probably the opposite of what they want people to think about a post-PPV Raw).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 11th, '17, 23:30

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 22:53
Serujuunin wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 22:31 After reading your review, I don't even know if I want to watch RAW... I know I just started doing review blogs of my own but, I've been so frustrated with the direction of the product that I'm honestly just thinking I'll catch the Hardys and Balor for RAW, and Styles and Nakamura for Smackdown, and use the rest of my time for something more constructive.

This isn't a bad week to skip (which is probably the opposite of what they want people to think about a post-PPV Raw).
Besides the tag match I probably could have skipped the PPV too lol

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 12th, '17, 00:38

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 11th, '17, 11:36
Hmmm...
Bryan Alvarez pointed out that next week's Raw, where Kurt will reveal his secret, is in Nashville.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 12th, '17, 15:21

So having just watched Balor and the Hardys, I have a few issues...

Cole and Graves were putting over Sampson for working Balor's "injured" shoulder... but isn't it the other shoulder the one that needed surgery?

And a clean win over the Hardys doesn't REALLY help Anderson and Gallows too much, nor does the post-match segment do anything but say "hey, the Revival are back" because the Hardys got destroyed at the PPV and are very clearly not working at full capacity. Beating up guys who are already injured doesn't make you look powerful, it makes you look at best, opportunistic and at worst, cowardly.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 12th, '17, 15:41

Serujuunin wrote: Jul 12th, '17, 15:21 So having just watched Balor and the Hardys, I have a few issues...

Cole and Graves were putting over Sampson for working Balor's "injured" shoulder... but isn't it the other shoulder the one that needed surgery?
I think they just meant one that is currently injured do to Sampson's concentration on it in this match.
Serujuunin wrote: Jul 12th, '17, 15:21 And a clean win over the Hardys doesn't REALLY help Anderson and Gallows too much, nor does the post-match segment do anything but say "hey, the Revival are back" because the Hardys got destroyed at the PPV and are very clearly not working at full capacity. Beating up guys who are already injured doesn't make you look powerful, it makes you look at best, opportunistic and at worst, cowardly.
You're not wrong, but at least with Gallows & Anderson I'm looking at it as more of a "glass half full" kind of thing. It's not like they cheated or anything. I saw it more as protecting the Hardys in their loss than as making Guns & Gallows look cowardly in their win.
As for The Revival, I think that one was definitely intended to make them seem cowardly, but I have no problem with that as a way to start off a program.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 12th, '17, 16:48

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 12th, '17, 15:41
Serujuunin wrote: Jul 12th, '17, 15:21 So having just watched Balor and the Hardys, I have a few issues...

I think they just meant one that is currently injured do to Sampson's concentration on it in this match.
I thought I heard someone mention the "surgically repaired shoulder", but that might have just been my brain inserting a typically-WWE phrase where there wasn't one.
Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 12th, '17, 15:41
Serujuunin wrote: Jul 12th, '17, 15:21 And a clean win over the Hardys doesn't REALLY help Anderson and Gallows too much, nor does the post-match segment do anything but say "hey, the Revival are back" because the Hardys got destroyed at the PPV and are very clearly not working at full capacity. Beating up guys who are already injured doesn't make you look powerful, it makes you look at best, opportunistic and at worst, cowardly.
You're not wrong, but at least with Gallows & Anderson I'm looking at it as more of a "glass half full" kind of thing. It's not like they cheated or anything. I saw it more as protecting the Hardys in their loss than as making Guns & Gallows look cowardly in their win.
As for The Revival, I think that one was definitely intended to make them seem cowardly, but I have no problem with that as a way to start off a program.
I definitely saw it as protecting the Hardys, I'm more making a counter point to the commentators who were going on about how strong Gallows and Anderson looked in their win. And for a young tag team coming up and getting the attention of a veteran team to try to make a name for themselves, it definitely serves a purpose. But again, I'm just picking at the commentators.