BRM Reviews the 1/30/2017 Raw (Promos of the Year!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 1/30/2017 Raw (Promos of the Year!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 31st, '17, 04:38

OPENING SEGMENT- mostly good, until Mick Foley showed up.
Owens and Jericho come out and do their thing. Both were great. They were interrupted by Strowman, who is getting “thank you Strowman!” chants. Strowman says that he interfered last night for two reasons:
1. He hates Roman Reigns
2. He says that Owens promised him a title shot.
Owens denies this but Brawn has footage. It’s footage from last month when Owens tried to convince Braun to help him and Jericho beat up Roman by saying that Braun would be next in line for the title- a moment that I, as well as Owens, Jericho, and everyone else had completely forgotten about. Everyone but Braun. Owens starts to say something but Braun cuts him off and tells him that Owens is going to give him his title shot tonight or else “I’ll break you in half right now!”
Foley comes out in a hideous blue and green plaid flannel jacket and says that he disapproves of what Braun did… but he’s just going to give Braun a title shot anyway, because that will definitely ensure that Braun will do what Mick wants in the future. Dumbass. Owens is unhappy about having to defend the title after the grueling match he had last night, but Foley tells him it’s happening.

CHRIS JERICHO vs. SAMI ZAYN- 7.5/10

CESARO & SHEAMUS ARGUE BACKSTAGE ABOUT LAST NIGHT- Bayley shows up to try to make peace. I was kind of hoping that she just happened to be passing by and couldn’t bear the thought of this newly-formed friendship being ripped asunder and thought that getting them to hug would heal things, but alas Bayley has an ulterior motive: they’re teaming together in a six-person tag tonight.
As fate would have it, their opponents for tonight- Gallows, Anderson, & Charlotte, just happened to be walking by. I absolutely love Gallows & Anderson’s gimmick where they have the lamest insults and laugh their asses off at them as if they were the most clever zingers anyone has ever said.

OWENS WANTS TO TALK TO STEPH- fine
She is on the phone. We hear her say “everything is all set” before hanging up. As we would find out later, these words would prove to be ominous. I love little bits like this where seemingly superficial dialogue turns out to be important.
Anyway, Owens wants Steph to cancel the title match. She says she’ll see what she can do.

TONY NESE vs. MUSTAFA ALI- 3/10
Short.

AUSTIN ARIES INTERVIEWS TONY NESE- Aries asked insulting questions that supposed came from “critics.” Nese said that he didn’t care what his critics said.

SETH ROLLINS & STEPH SEGMENT- Rollins pre-empts Steph calling him out by calling her out, saying “even a billion dollar princess can’t get what she wants all the time so suck it up buttercup and get out here.” I thought this bit was great. THIS is what Rollins should be, not the whiny, smarmy nincompoop we’ve seen since he turned babyface.
Also, compare this Dean Ambrose. This is being a rebel because Rollins has someone to rebel against. He has been wronged and so he is taking things out on one of parties that wronged him (remember, he is certain that Hunter and Steph were in cahoots). Over on Smackdown Dean doesn’t have anyone to rebel against, so his “too cool for school” attitude and general jackass-ery make him completely unlikable.
Speaking of the right way to use people, this was the also the first time in a very long time (like, since the feud with Brie) where I thought Steph was being used well. Heel Steph talking down to selected babyface talent because it’s her birthright as a McMahon to get whatever she wants in this company is great. The problem comes when you just have her talk down the talent all the time for no other reason than someone high up in the company gets off on Steph asserting her dominance over the talent on television.
Anyway, I thought this was a really good segment with Seth saying things that would simultaneously anger Steph and taunt the absent Hunter... and then he finished one of this response by implying that Steph lusts after him. That was f*cking weird. Then Steph cut what almost felt like a babyface promo because of what Rollins had just said. Then Rollins cuts a promo where he threatened to harm the young McMahon-Helmsley children. Um… WHAT THE F*CK?!
Steph’s response to this, once she got over how stunned she was, was to tell Rollins that she lied and Hunter really is on his way here and the announcers then plugged that we’d finally get to see the confrontation we’ve been waiting for for months. So of course we know there’s some sort of swerve coming.

CHARLOTTE FLAIR, LUKE GALLOWS, & KARL ANDERSON vs. CESARO, SHEAMUS, & BAYLEY- 5.25/10
Cesaro did Bayley’s entrance along with her. Sheamus not only refused to participate, but looked completely embarrassed to be seen with them. It was great.
There was a bit of a story with Charlotte causing distractions, but other than that this was blah. Bayley pins Charlotte clean… again… so we’re back to square one.

FOLEY & STEPH BACKSTAGE- For once Foley stands up to Steph. If only they had done this at some point before he had been beaten into the ground so much that I no longer care. The segment was good.

NEVILLE & SWANN SEGMENT- Neville comes out and cuts a good promo before he is interrupted by Swann to remind Neville that he has his rematch. Swann becomes the first person to point out that Neville’s comments about the fans are completely contrary to reality.
Swann says that he will admit that Neville was the better man and is a great wrestler, so he is out here to shake his hand… but Neville refuses, saying that you don’t shake the king’s hand, you kneel before him. Swann wasn’t going to take this bullsh*t so he turned to leave. This angered Neville because “you do not turn your back on your king,” so Neville went to attack Swann but Swann wound up getting the best of it. I normally hate this sort of thing where someone takes the metaphorical “king” label too far, but Neville kind of made it work.
This was a really great segment but I do have two nit-picks:
1. Neville is the heel Cruiserweight Champion who is calling himself the “king” and calling everyone else “peasants.” Isn’t that exactly what Charlotte is doing in the Women’s Division?
2. I found it very weird that they were both in their gear for this segment. Street clothes would have worked better for me. Or at least have them in their gear with shirts on.

Wow. I’m shocked that “0 Miedo” sign hasn’t been confiscated yet.

SASHA IN THE TRAINER’S ROOM- she’s getting knee wrapped up. Bayley showed up and advised her to face Nia until she is all healed. Sasha said that “you might not understand this, but some people aren’t okay with coming up short.” This segment would have worked a lot better if Bayley hadn’t just pinned Sasha clean.
Also, I can’t help but notice many similarities between the story of Sasha vs. Nia and that of Sami Zayn vs. Braun Strowman. Do you see how much more tolerable it is when the GM isn’t simultaneously burying and trying to coddle someone who should be a top babyface?

OWENS & JERICHO BACKSTAGE- good stuff. Owens wants Jericho to help him tonight but Jericho clearly doesn’t want to.

WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE MATCH: Kevin Owens(c) vs. Braun Strowman- no rating, meh segment.
Owens wanted Jericho to be at ringside but Jericho went to do commentary. Props to Owens for still selling from last night. At least I hope he’s selling and doesn’t have a slight limp from a real injury.
On his way down to the ring Braun went over to the announcers’ table and chokelsammed Jericho through it. Before the match. GENIUS!
Strowman mostly dominated Owens. Roman came out to attack Braun as revenge for last night, causing a DQ. Both Strowman and Owens got floored with spears. I don’t have a problem with an Owens vs. Roman vs. Strowman three-way for the title at the next PPV. In fact, I think it could be rather fun.

BROCK IS HERE!

PAUL HEYMAN CUTS THE PROMO OF THE YEAR- it culminated in Brock challenging Goldberg at WrestleMania.

NIA JAX vs. SASHA BANKS- no rating, bad segment.
Did the ref even do anything to signal for the bell or did it just ring? Also, when the bell rings you need to have the ring announcer ANNOUNCE THE RESULT OF THE MATCH! Nia kept the beating going after the match, too, not giving up the hold. Then Bayley came out and Nia decided to back down from little Bayley.

LANA COSPLAYS AS RENEE YOUNG- she introduces Rusev as “handsome Rusev.” That made my night.

ENZO & CASS PROMO- hilarious! Especially everything they said about Jinder.

TORNADO TAG TEAM MATCH: Colin Cassady & Enzo Amore vs. Jinder Mahal & Handsome Rusev (w/Lana)- 4.5/10
Why would you pin Rusev instead of Jobber Mahal?

HUNTER IS HERE!

TRIPLE H PROMO- HOLY F*CKING SH*T THIS WAS AWESOME- but it still wasn’t as good as the Heyman promo.
The promo ended with Hunter calling out Rollins and Rollins came out… and then got jumped by SAMOA JOE!

An excellent episode of Raw, with some great moments and what might well be the two best promos of the year when all is said and done.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Re: BRM Reviews the 1/30/2017 Raw (Promos of the Year!)

Post by XIV » Jan 31st, '17, 12:35

Triple H's promo was so good, there was even a wink wink nudge nudge to his burying of other wrestlers in the past. It was all just brilliant and seemed so heartfelt. Almost a "I have to retire, but I don't want to retire, I have to work in the office, but I don't want to work in the office, I want to destroy, but I have to create"

It was subtle, and the fact that coincidentally Triple H genuinely looked a lot older during this promo (dishevelled, grey appearing the beard and clearly a lack of sleep). The whole thing was just believable and brilliant.

He's still the Cerebral Assassin alright.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 31st, '17, 13:11

XIV wrote:Triple H's promo was so good, there was even a wink wink nudge nudge to his burying of other wrestlers in the past. It was all just brilliant and seemed so heartfelt. Almost a "I have to retire, but I don't want to retire, I have to work in the office, but I don't want to work in the office, I want to destroy, but I have to create"

It was subtle, and the fact that coincidentally Triple H genuinely looked a lot older during this promo (dishevelled, grey appearing the beard and clearly a lack of sleep). The whole thing was just believable and brilliant.

Yeah but... it still wasn't as good as Heyman's.

Can anyone even remember getting two such excellent promos on the same show?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 31st, '17, 13:28

Big Red Machine wrote:
XIV wrote:Triple H's promo was so good, there was even a wink wink nudge nudge to his burying of other wrestlers in the past. It was all just brilliant and seemed so heartfelt. Almost a "I have to retire, but I don't want to retire, I have to work in the office, but I don't want to work in the office, I want to destroy, but I have to create"

Yeah but... it still wasn't as good as Heyman's.

Can anyone even remember getting two such excellent promos on the same show?

No, it wasn't Heyman's but Heyman hits point with a promo more often with not so you come to always expect it with him, and I've really tuned out of the Goldberg vs Brock stuff, so maybe I didn't give it the attention it deserved.

But when was the last really amazing Triple H promo? It's been a while and took me by surprise by just how good it was, and surprise and shock is what draws me in as a wrestling fan. So, while Heyman's was better by substance and stuff, Triple H's I enjoyed more on a different level.
Have A Nice Day!

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 31st, '17, 13:31

BUT can we also just take a minute to appreciate that Samoa Joe's role is instantly perfect for him. Because it just makes sense. Would have got a bigger pop with music and a walk down... but it was still executed brilliantly, and instantly he's coming in at the upper mid card level with Rollins, and hopefully he'll stay there or go on to something equally fulfilling after Rollins goes off to face Triple H.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 31st, '17, 13:36

problem with Triple H's promo (as some people are saying), is that it was a total babyface promo. He never addressed trying to fuck up Rollins back for the title, it was mostly I'm trying to build this awesome thing called NXT and he wanted to mess with it and now daddy hunter must defend his territory, he got fired up for defending what he believed in. I'm totally gonna cheer for Hunter if it means he is defending NXT.

all of this makes Rollins look like a complete idiot, he should have easily invaded NXT 6 months ago, earlier he was threatening to attack a boards meeting or their house, what was stopping him from doing that 6 months ago? It's not like Hunter has been hiding all this time, he just hasn't been in the show. Why didn't he go to the UK?

it was an awesome promo tho.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 31st, '17, 13:39

XIV wrote: Would have got a bigger pop with music and a walk down... but it was still executed brilliantly, and instantly he's coming in at the upper mid card level with Rollins, and hopefully he'll stay there or go on to something equally fulfilling after Rollins goes off to face Triple H.

Yes, exactly, the way they did it, it makes Joe seemed like the heel but not Hunter necessarily. I would have loved for Hunter to be in the ramp and while Rollins gets close to him, out sounds Joe's music and he comes out. one final mini boss before Rollins can get to Hunter.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 31st, '17, 16:49

cero2k wrote:problem with Triple H's promo (as some people are saying), is that it was a total babyface promo. He never addressed trying to fuck up Rollins back for the title, it was mostly I'm trying to build this awesome thing called NXT and he wanted to mess with it and now daddy hunter must defend his territory, he got fired up for defending what he believed in. I'm totally gonna cheer for Hunter if it means he is defending NXT.

I actually think that it did a beautiful job of reconciling the "two Hunters" problem. There is no reason for a heel not to be able to cut what sounds like a babyface promo if he believes himself to be the babyface. Also, most babyface promos I've seen don't include mocking someone for being injured, which was a major part of this. Everyone is focusing on the NXT stuff- i.e. what Hunter said about himself, but not on what he said about his opponent.

cero2k wrote:all of this makes Rollins look like a complete idiot, he should have easily invaded NXT 6 months ago, earlier he was threatening to attack a boards meeting or their house, what was stopping him from doing that 6 months ago? It's not like Hunter has been hiding all this time, he just hasn't been in the show. Why didn't he go to the UK?

it was an awesome promo tho.

Because Seth respects NXT too much to have done that right away. This was just him getting desperate because of Hunter now f*cking with him like he did last week on Raw. And those other actions (especially going to their house) are pretty heelish.
As for why he didn't go to the UK, that's easy: he didn't want to miss the house shows he was booked on and disappoint his fans (not to mention giving Hunter and Steph and excuse to fire him.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 31st, '17, 17:03

Big Red Machine wrote:I actually think that it did a beautiful job of reconciling the "two Hunters" problem. There is no reason for a heel not to be able to cut what sounds like a babyface promo if he believes himself to be the babyface. Also, most babyface promos I've seen don't include mocking someone for being injured, which was a major part of this. Everyone is focusing on the NXT stuff- i.e. what Hunter said about himself, but not on what he said about his opponent.
it's ok if the heel thinks he/she is a babyface, but in this case, it's the fans that think he is the babyface

Because Seth respects NXT too much to have done that right away. This was just him getting desperate because of Hunter now f*cking with him like he did last week on Raw. And those other actions (especially going to their house) are pretty heelish.
As for why he didn't go to the UK, that's easy: he didn't want to miss the house shows he was booked on and disappoint his fans (not to mention giving Hunter and Steph and excuse to fire him.
these sound like the type of excuses i'd give to make sense out of TNA

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 31st, '17, 17:08

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:I actually think that it did a beautiful job of reconciling the "two Hunters" problem. There is no reason for a heel not to be able to cut what sounds like a babyface promo if he believes himself to be the babyface. Also, most babyface promos I've seen don't include mocking someone for being injured, which was a major part of this. Everyone is focusing on the NXT stuff- i.e. what Hunter said about himself, but not on what he said about his opponent.
it's ok if the heel thinks he/she is a babyface, but in this case, it's the fans that think he is the babyface
And they think Rollins is one, too

these sound like the type of excuses i'd give to make sense out of TNA
Maybe, but the difference is that in WWE these sorts of stretches are needed once every few months, not several times a week.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation