BRM Reviews the 10/26/2015 Raw (best in months)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/26/2015 Raw (best in months)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 26th, '15, 22:53

AUTHORITY SEGMENT- Hunter & Steph bring out Rollins. Hunter says that Seth “made the Authority better” by removing Kane from his job as Director of Operations via defeating him last night. Well… if you thought that not having Kane as Director of Operations would make the WWE better, then why didn’t you just fire him? Wouldn’t that have been quite literally “best for business?”
Anyway, mommy and daddy are proud of young Seth, and Seth puts them over, too.
Hunter announces a one-night mini-tournament for #1 contendership (although it is using only the winners from last night, so I guess it’s technically a two-night tournament even if we didn’t know about it during the first night).
Then Roman Reigns came out to face off with Seth for no other reason than to spoil the results of said tournament.

Apparently when they said “all of the winners from last night” then meant “all of the winners from last night aside from the world’s biggest super-badass Brock Lesnar.”

#1 CONTENDERSHIP TOURNAMENT: Roman Reigns vs. Kofi Kingston (w/Big E.)- 6.75/10
While the New Day was doing their unicorn shtick, I jokingly thought that they should start using the GORE as a finisher. That led me to the following very important philosophical discovery: “it’s a rhinoceros basically a real-life badass unicorn?
I’m also probably underrating this match a bit because during the first part of it, I was quite distracted by the above unicorn-rhinoceros revelation.

MIZ DEMONSTRATES THE NEW VIDEO GAME- a poor plug for the game because we didn’t get to see anything other than Austin walking down the ramp. More importantly, he was doing this in front of a crowd and there was an attractive bespectacled girl whose facial expressions clearly indicated just how much of a dork she thought Miz was. She was the only one who reacted like this (the other extras showed no expression at all), so I don’t know if she was supposed to respond this way or not, but either way, she completely and totally made this segment, and I DEMAND that WWE hire her as a new interviewer this instant!

#1 CONTENDERSHIP TOURNAMENT: Cesaro vs. Kevin Owens- 6.25/10
Owens gets to cut an in-set promo on his way to the ring, but Cesaro does not. Can we at least TRY to make it look like both guys have a chance? Please?

PAIGE, CHARLOTTE, & BECKY BACKSTAGE- Paige plugs that she was on Conan. She also takes credit for starting the Divas Revolution, which is like taking credit for starting the XFL (which even WWE is smart enough to avoid doing).
The segment was okay, except that now Becky is being the pointlessly confrontational. But hey… for about five seconds there, this angle didn’t annoy me, so that’s a step in the right direction.

TEAM BELLA vs. BECKY LYNCH, PAIGE, & CHARLOTTE- 6/10
I figured they would put this feud in the ground by giving PCB the win and transition into a new feud by having Paige steal the win from Charlotte or something, but instead they have Team Bella win clean, then immediately make that win not matter by having Paige destroy both Becky and Charlotte after the match.

RENEE YOUNG INTERVIEWS ZEB COULTER & ALBERTO DEL RIO- well… there goes all of my enthusiasm for this.
Zeb thinks it would be awesome if the USA and Mexico were one big country, pissing off the large majority of people on both sides of the border. He declares this new nation be called “Mex-America,” but in all of his decades of experience in the business, one thing Zeb has learned is that it’s never a bad idea to give a stable a very similar name to a completely failed TNA faction. Zeb sys that he and Alberto are the first two citizens of this country, because claiming to be the only two citizens of a country you made up is a GREAT way to be taken seriously.
Then Alberto talked about how wouldn’t let “a selfish, entitled immigrant” like Neville take away his chance to become WWE World Heavyweight Champion… because when you are in such desperate need of a babyface and really want a Hispanic one that you are willing to bring back a popular and talented star even though he disparaged company, the best thing to do with him is to make him a hypocritical heel.
Well… at least we can still hope for some awesome Alberto matches to come out of this.

#1 CONTENDERSHIP TOURNAMENT: Neville vs. Alberto Del Rio (w/Zeb Coulter)- 6.75/10
Neville appears to be wearing tights he borrowed from Daniel Bryan.

RYBACK, & THE DUDLEY BOYS vs. RUSEV, WADE BARRETT, & SHEAMUS- 6/10
Whazzup right in front of the referee. Then the Dudleys and Ryback went to get some tables here in this regular match. Because of this blatant cheating, I was quite pleased when Wade Barrett bravely fought through the pain and rolled Bubba up for the win.
BRAY WYATT EXPLAINS WHY HE ATTACKED THE UNDERTAKER LAST NIGHT- he says he’s addicted to eating The Undertaker’s soul or something like that. It’s a Bray Wyatt promo. I have long stopped expecting anything the man says to actually matter in any way
Then Kane came out but the other Wyatts used their magic to teleport to ringside and… well… unfortunately for them, what WWE really wanted here was a cool faceoff between Kane and Strowman, so Kane took Rowan down with ONE PUNCH while Harper had to get beaten up TWICE. Both guys then came at Kane together and still Kane prevailed, about to chokeslam them both at the same time when Braun Strowman saved them, attacking Kane from behind and allowing them to beat Kane up.
Then the Wyatts carried Kane off… and if you remember the last time this happened you’ll remember that Kane made his triumphant return not to get revenge on the Wyatts, but by randomly joining the Authority, getting the job he was just fired from yesterday.

#1 CONTENDERSHIP TOURNAMENT: Dolph Ziggler vs. Big E. (w/Kofi Kingston)- 6.25/10
Tyler Breeze and Summer Rae came out to watch, and I was certain that Breeze would cost Dolph the match, but he didn’t do anything. Maybe they’re saving that for the Roman & Dolph vs. New Day tag title match we should be having following the results of tonight’s show.

ROMAN & DEAN BACKSTAGE- Good pep talk from Dean that also serves to remind us of Roman’s past failures and/or frustrations (depending on how you want to look at them), which could be important to the overall story they might decide to tell in either the short or long term.

BREAST CANCER STUFF- I laughed my ass off at half of the women in the front row going into business for themselves instead of doing whatever dances they wanted do instead of the PTP dance. One of them even broke from the line and turned her back to the hard-cam to do it.

MIZ STUFF- the segment-saving girl from earlier was gone, so I assume she wasn’t supposed to do what she did. BOOOOO!
Austin showed up and Miz did his catchphrases and this whole thing made Miz look like a loser, and not in the good heel way. I think it would have been a lot more heat (and a lot funnier) to have Miz play as himself and getting the scrubs in the background to play as Austin so he could beat them, and then have Austin show up to play as himself and squash Miz.

FATAL 4 WAY #1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Roman Reigns vs. Kevin Owens vs. Dolph Zigger vs. Alberto Del Rio (w/Zeb Coulter)- 7.5/10
A great match, but the wrong guy got pinned. Dolph has no championship and is about to engage in a feud with Tyler Breeze. Taking the pin here would not hurt him in the slightest.

After the match, Seth and Roman had a staredown which lasted WAY too long.

A very good show from WWE. The best they’ve had in months. It's funny how that happens when you concentrate on wrestling and simple stories instead of dumb backstage segments.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/26/2015 Raw (best in months)

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 26th, '15, 23:11

Addicted to eating his soul makes it actually all sound comical.

Actually when you put it that way-they need a need a new Director Of Operations. Do the math here: Enter "Corporate Undertaker." I hate to say it but it would fit perfect: fills the spot and could put him in a somewhat non wrestling role. Which couldn't hurt. They already tried this shit about Wyatt not respecting and/or looking up to him anymore btw. It didn't work. Oh no! That's where I leave this post! Eating creamed corn and NOT getting into that shit again!
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 27th, '15, 07:02

KILLdozer wrote:
Actually when you put it that way-they need a need a new Director Of Operations. Do the math here: Enter "Corporate Undertaker."
And now I'm scared.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 27th, '15, 08:15

Big Red Machine wrote: #1 CONTENDERSHIP TOURNAMENT: Roman Reigns vs. Kofi Kingston (w/Big E.)- 6.75/10
While the New Day was doing their unicorn shtick, I jokingly thought that they should start using the GORE as a finisher. That led me to the following very important philosophical discovery: “it’s a rhinoceros basically a real-life badass unicorn?
I’m also probably underrating this match a bit because during the first part of it, I was quite distracted by the above unicorn-rhinoceros revelation.
no, the unicorn is the love child of a horse and a rhinoceros

Owens gets to cut an in-set promo on his way to the ring, but Cesaro does not. Can we at least TRY to make it look like both guys have a chance? Please?
i was hoping that Cesaro would actually win here, start a program with Owens and just lose on the main event

ROMAN & DEAN BACKSTAGE- Good pep talk from Dean that also serves to remind us of Roman’s past failures and/or frustrations (depending on how you want to look at them), which could be important to the overall story they might decide to tell in either the short or long term.
this just felt like Ambrose will cost Roman the title

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 27th, '15, 08:21

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
The only reason such a thought didn't cross my mind is that they would have to be suicidally dumb to turn Dean heel right now when their two top babyfaces have disappeared and when they have apparently brought Alberto back as a heel as well. And do they really think people won't cheer for Dean over Roman?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 30th, '15, 21:24

Big Red Machine wrote:AUTHORITY SEGMENT- Hunter & Steph bring out Rollins. Hunter says that Seth “made the Authority better” by removing Kane from his job as Director of Operations via defeating him last night. Well… if you thought that not having Kane as Director of Operations would make the WWE better, then why didn’t you just fire him? Wouldn’t that have been quite literally “best for business?”
Hunter announces a one-night mini-tournament for #1 contendership (although it is using only the winners from last night, so I guess it’s technically a two-night tournament even if we didn’t know about it during the first night).
Then Roman Reigns came out to face off with Seth for no other reason than to spoil the results of said tournament.
I actually skipped this whole thing, because I've been counting how long it takes at the beginning of WWE programming how long it takes for them to actually get into a match, and it averages about 10 minutes. Which is ten minutes of stuff at the beginning I don't care about as they're likely to recap it halfway through the show anyway. I hate starting the show with The Authority anyway.

Apparently when they said “all of the winners from last night” then meant “all of the winners from last night aside from the world’s biggest super-badass Brock Lesnar.”
I actually watched the podcast with Lesnar and Austin, and now I have a hard time seeing him as a badass, since he seems an awful lot like an average farm boy that I see a lot here in Calgary, Alberta, also known as Cowtown.

I laughed my ass off when I read this. Honestly though, when they do stuff like this, I wish it wasn't like, only one man in each match has the possibility of moving on to the fatal four way, so lets have them face guys that the fans know won't win, rather than having it so whomever the winner is can make it in, and have a good match between two believable guys. As soon as I knew Roman was fighting Kofi, I knew he was making it in.

MIZ DEMONSTRATES THE NEW VIDEO GAME- a poor plug for the game because we didn’t get to see anything other than Austin walking down the ramp. More importantly, he was doing this in front of a crowd and there was an attractive bespectacled girl whose facial expressions clearly indicated just how much of a dork she thought Miz was. She was the only one who reacted like this (the other extras showed no expression at all), so I don’t know if she was supposed to respond this way or not, but either way, she completely and totally made this segment, and I DEMAND that WWE hire her as a new interviewer this instant!
Also skipped this segment. The previous ones with Austin digging up the skull belt and with Sting, Rollins and Austin burning the trademarks of their most high profile opponents, were much cooler and make me want to try the game out more than any segment in the show. I still probably won't though.

This had the potential to be way better, and was really the only one of the tournament matches where I believed either guy could win and get in. What happened to the push Cesaro got a few months ago?!

PAIGE, CHARLOTTE, & BECKY BACKSTAGE- Paige plugs that she was on Conan. She also takes credit for starting the Divas Revolution, which is like taking credit for starting the XFL (which even WWE is smart enough to avoid doing).
The segment was okay, except that now Becky is being the pointlessly confrontational. But hey… for about five seconds there, this angle didn’t annoy me, so that’s a step in the right direction.
I really wish they would stop referring to this whole mess as a Divas Revolution. If it was that, for one, they'd stop calling the girls DIVAS, which is a derogatory term in the rest of the world, and for two, they'd actually give all the women their own chances to shine and do well, instead of getting the stable over as a unit (or getting one stable over, one stable indifferent, and completely forgetting about the other one except for intermittent appearances). I still have no idea what Becky is really capable of doing since she came up on her own. We still haven't seen much of Team B.A.D. except randomly when they're beating down Charlotte and Becky. And how on EARTH were either of those two stupid enough to believe that Paige really wanted to be friends again. Hell, even if I did, I wouldn't even give her the time of day after she'd beaten me up like that. And if they really want to bring Nattie in, do it RIGHT, which is by having her have more than one match on TV in a month, and give her someone like Sasha so they both get some TV time. I won't rightfully call this a Revolution until they can make me care enough to watch through a whole match.

I figured they would put this feud in the ground by giving PCB the win and transition into a new feud by having Paige steal the win from Charlotte or something, but instead they have Team Bella win clean, then immediately make that win not matter by having Paige destroy both Becky and Charlotte after the match.

RENEE YOUNG INTERVIEWS ZEB COULTER & ALBERTO DEL RIO- well… there goes all of my enthusiasm for this.
Zeb thinks it would be awesome if the USA and Mexico were one big country, pissing off the large majority of people on both sides of the border. He declares this new nation be called “Mex-America,” but in all of his decades of experience in the business, one thing Zeb has learned is that it’s never a bad idea to give a stable a very similar name to a completely failed TNA faction. Zeb sys that he and Alberto are the first two citizens of this country, because claiming to be the only two citizens of a country you made up is a GREAT way to be taken seriously.
Then Alberto talked about how wouldn’t let “a selfish, entitled immigrant” like Neville take away his chance to become WWE World Heavyweight Champion… because when you are in such desperate need of a babyface and really want a Hispanic one that you are willing to bring back a popular and talented star even though he disparaged company, the best thing to do with him is to make him a hypocritical heel.
Well… at least we can still hope for some awesome Alberto matches to come out of this.
I get that they wanted a Hispanic star, but why on Earth pick one with a bad reputation, like punching a social media manager and turning down a promotion for not booking him on the flight he wanted? This seems like a bad idea to go investing something in him, only for him to turn around and get fired again for something. I'm not saying he's not a great athlete, but this seems like a poor idea to me.

#1 CONTENDERSHIP TOURNAMENT: Neville vs. Alberto Del Rio (w/Zeb Coulter)- 6.75/10
Neville appears to be wearing tights he borrowed from Daniel Bryan.
Another match where the outcome was predictable given his opponent.

RYBACK, & THE DUDLEY BOYS vs. RUSEV, WADE BARRETT, & SHEAMUS- 6/10
Whazzup right in front of the referee. Then the Dudleys and Ryback went to get some tables here in this regular match. Because of this blatant cheating, I was quite pleased when Wade Barrett bravely fought through the pain and rolled Bubba up for the win.
BRAY WYATT EXPLAINS WHY HE ATTACKED THE UNDERTAKER LAST NIGHT- he says he’s addicted to eating The Undertaker’s soul or something like that. It’s a Bray Wyatt promo. I have long stopped expecting anything the man says to actually matter in any way
Then Kane came out but the other Wyatts used their magic to teleport to ringside and… well… unfortunately for them, what WWE really wanted here was a cool faceoff between Kane and Strowman, so Kane took Rowan down with ONE PUNCH while Harper had to get beaten up TWICE. Both guys then came at Kane together and still Kane prevailed, about to chokeslam them both at the same time when Braun Strowman saved them, attacking Kane from behind and allowing them to beat Kane up.
Then the Wyatts carried Kane off… and if you remember the last time this happened you’ll remember that Kane made his triumphant return not to get revenge on the Wyatts, but by randomly joining the Authority, getting the job he was just fired from yesterday.

#1 CONTENDERSHIP TOURNAMENT: Dolph Ziggler vs. Big E. (w/Kofi Kingston)- 6.25/10
Tyler Breeze and Summer Rae came out to watch, and I was certain that Breeze would cost Dolph the match, but he didn’t do anything. Maybe they’re saving that for the Roman & Dolph vs. New Day tag title match we should be having following the results of tonight’s show.

BREAST CANCER STUFF- I laughed my ass off at half of the women in the front row going into business for themselves instead of doing whatever dances they wanted do instead of the PTP dance. One of them even broke from the line and turned her back to the hard-cam to do it.

MIZ STUFF- the segment-saving girl from earlier was gone, so I assume she wasn’t supposed to do what she did. BOOOOO!
Austin showed up and Miz did his catchphrases and this whole thing made Miz look like a loser, and not in the good heel way. I think it would have been a lot more heat (and a lot funnier) to have Miz play as himself and getting the scrubs in the background to play as Austin so he could beat them, and then have Austin show up to play as himself and squash Miz.

FATAL 4 WAY #1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Roman Reigns vs. Kevin Owens vs. Dolph Zigger vs. Alberto Del Rio (w/Zeb Coulter)- 7.5/10
A great match, but the wrong guy got pinned. Dolph has no championship and is about to engage in a feud with Tyler Breeze. Taking the pin here would not hurt him in the slightest.

After the match, Seth and Roman had a staredown which lasted WAY too long.

A very good show from WWE. The best they’ve had in months. It's funny how that happens when you concentrate on wrestling and simple stories instead of dumb backstage segments.
And Seru is going to turn into a bit of a mark here in a moment...

ROMAN REIGNS IS THE NUMBER ONE CONTENDER!!!!!!!

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 30th, '15, 21:26

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
The only reason such a thought didn't cross my mind is that they would have to be suicidally dumb to turn Dean heel right now when their two top babyfaces have disappeared and when they have apparently brought Alberto back as a heel as well. And do they really think people won't cheer for Dean over Roman?
I had this thought too... And had the same response to myself, except that Dean has been stagnating as a face as late, doing the same old things every time and (it seems) barely appearing on TV, so would it really hurt Dean to turn heel? It might be what he needs to get going again, and I would love to see him solo as a renegade, Austin type heel. Is it the right time for this? No. Would I like to see it? Yeah I would.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 31st, '15, 19:02

"Top faces dissappearing" refers to Cena and who else? Sting?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 31st, '15, 19:47

Serujuunin wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:AUTHORITY SEGMENT- Hunter & Steph bring out Rollins. Hunter says that Seth “made the Authority better” by removing Kane from his job as Director of Operations via defeating him last night. Well… if you thought that not having Kane as Director of Operations would make the WWE better, then why didn’t you just fire him? Wouldn’t that have been quite literally “best for business?”
I actually skipped this whole thing, because I've been counting how long it takes at the beginning of WWE programming how long it takes for them to actually get into a match, and it averages about 10 minutes. Which is ten minutes of stuff at the beginning I don't care about as they're likely to recap it halfway through the show anyway. I hate starting the show with The Authority anyway.
It's only usually about ten minutes? It feels like at least twice that.
I also totally feel you about starting the show off with the Authority. Both WWE and TNA (although not as much TNA this year) have fallen into this pattern of "the show always starts with a promo by the heel stable," and it makes the show feel boring and repetitive.
Actually, the more I think about this...

http://54.88.31.224/thewrestlingrevolut ... 18&t=16238
Dammit Seru! Look what you made me do!

I actually watched the podcast with Lesnar and Austin, and now I have a hard time seeing him as a badass, since he seems an awful lot like an average farm boy that I see a lot here in Calgary, Alberta, also known as Cowtown.
I've heard others say this as well. It's the same argument against showing footage of heels visiting sick children. Even you try to separate it out in you mind, you just can't do it because that information will always be there in you subconscious. It's one of the reasons I'm glad I didn't watch the podcast.

I laughed my ass off when I read this. Honestly though, when they do stuff like this, I wish it wasn't like, only one man in each match has the possibility of moving on to the fatal four way, so lets have them face guys that the fans know won't win, rather than having it so whomever the winner is can make it in, and have a good match between two believable guys. As soon as I knew Roman was fighting Kofi, I knew he was making it in.
It's the curse of being a smart fan, LOL.
I was actually hoping that they would have Cesaro pin Owens tonight to set up a title match for Survivor Series just to throw a much-needed curveball into your line of thinking. One of the things I love about Evolve is that a few times a year they will have a match just end by knockout or end in three minutes via roll-up or have someone tap to a different submission than normal just to plant that seed in your mind that it really could happen in any match. It works wonders at making you buy into false finishes you otherwise wouldn't. WWE could definitely benefit from something similar by doing something like having Big E. beat Dolph tonight- something to make you think "well... maybe anyone really can win." That's been the big problem with Cena for all of these years. No one every thins that he'll lose... and they're never wrong.

Also skipped this segment. The previous ones with Austin digging up the skull belt and with Sting, Rollins and Austin burning the trademarks of their most high profile opponents, were much cooler and make me want to try the game out more than any segment in the show. I still probably won't though.
That's another point that gets me: do they really think that us watching three seconds of The Miz play the game will make people want to buy the game more than their commercial?

This had the potential to be way better, and was really the only one of the tournament matches where I believed either guy could win and get in. What happened to the push Cesaro got a few months ago?!
I guess Vince decided to make him a jobber again. Only in WWE can a guy have a huge, completely organic fan following, put on not one but TWO match of the year candidates on BACK TO BACK WEEKS, and still be slotted to be an undercard nobody two months later.

I really wish they would stop referring to this whole mess as a Divas Revolution. If it was that, for one, they'd stop calling the girls DIVAS, which is a derogatory term in the rest of the world, and for two, they'd actually give all the women their own chances to shine and do well, instead of getting the stable over as a unit (or getting one stable over, one stable indifferent, and completely forgetting about the other one except for intermittent appearances). I still have no idea what Becky is really capable of doing since she came up on her own. We still haven't seen much of Team B.A.D. except randomly when they're beating down Charlotte and Becky. And how on EARTH were either of those two stupid enough to believe that Paige really wanted to be friends again. Hell, even if I did, I wouldn't even give her the time of day after she'd beaten me up like that. And if they really want to bring Nattie in, do it RIGHT, which is by having her have more than one match on TV in a month, and give her someone like Sasha so they both get some TV time. I won't rightfully call this a Revolution until they can make me care enough to watch through a whole match.
Totally agree with everything you said. Especially that Nattie vs. Sasha match. I'm pretty sure that would be first time ever, and if given time, that could be amazing!
Did you watch the Charlotte vs. Nikki match from Hell in a Cell?

I get that they wanted a Hispanic star, but why on Earth pick one with a bad reputation, like punching a social media manager and turning down a promotion for not booking him on the flight he wanted? This seems like a bad idea to go investing something in him, only for him to turn around and get fired again for something. I'm not saying he's not a great athlete, but this seems like a poor idea to me.
Well... he punched the social media guy for being a racist, but as for the rest of it, my thinking is that WWE knows that they're paying Del Rio enough money that he's not going to pull sh*t like bitching about flights or whatever the issue was with wXw.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 31st, '15, 19:48

KILLdozer wrote:"Top faces dissappearing" refers to Cena and who else? Sting?
Mainly Orton, but also Brock.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 31st, '15, 23:46

Big Red Machine wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:"Top faces dissappearing" refers to Cena and who else? Sting?
Mainly Orton, but also Brock.
Oh. I forgot about both them dudes. I knew I was drawin' a block mentally. On about almost of the roster.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 31st, '15, 23:46

Yeah I just forgot any of them dudes even wrestled there at all.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Nov 1st, '15, 12:49

It's only usually about ten minutes? It feels like at least twice that.
I also totally feel you about starting the show off with the Authority. Both WWE and TNA (although not as much TNA this year) have fallen into this pattern of "the show always starts with a promo by the heel stable," and it makes the show feel boring and repetitive.
Actually, the more I think about this...

http://54.88.31.224/thewrestlingrevolut ... 18&t=16238
Dammit Seru! Look what you made me do!
It AVERAGES around ten minutes, that doesn't mean its always that haha. There have been RAWs and Smackdowns where it was actually around 17 minutes into the show before something actually happened. It's just less often than the ten minute mark. And about your link, I think you're totally right, which means that the writers need to take a basic high school level course in storytelling.

I've heard others say this as well. It's the same argument against showing footage of heels visiting sick children. Even you try to separate it out in you mind, you just can't do it because that information will always be there in you subconscious. It's one of the reasons I'm glad I didn't watch the podcast.
Well, the podcast actually made me like him more as a person than I did before, so there's that. I really like how they break character in those podcasts and actually show the real character, but when it's someone like Brock Lesnar, I think they should just keep him in character for the whole thing. That way it doesn't damage his image.

It's the curse of being a smart fan, LOL.
I was actually hoping that they would have Cesaro pin Owens tonight to set up a title match for Survivor Series just to throw a much-needed curveball into your line of thinking. One of the things I love about Evolve is that a few times a year they will have a match just end by knockout or end in three minutes via roll-up or have someone tap to a different submission than normal just to plant that seed in your mind that it really could happen in any match. It works wonders at making you buy into false finishes you otherwise wouldn't. WWE could definitely benefit from something similar by doing something like having Big E. beat Dolph tonight- something to make you think "well... maybe anyone really can win." That's been the big problem with Cena for all of these years. No one every thins that he'll lose... and they're never wrong.

I wouldn't even call it the curse of a smart fan. I think most people could figure it out. Hell, my sister who was in the room with me, who hasn't watched wrestling in YEARS knew it right away. And she even likes Kofi. :P
I totally think the WWE could benefit huge by doing that, and I was also hoping for Cesaro to win too for that reason. At least in that match I was thinking "Well, Cesaro hasn't gotten a push in a while, but he could still win this" rather than thinking that Owens was the winner from the get go.

That's another point that gets me: do they really think that us watching three seconds of The Miz play the game will make people want to buy the game more than their commercial?
Not to mention it's THE MIZ, who hasn't been on TV in God knows how long except for pointless, forgettable Miz TV segments. At this point, no one cares about him. If they really wanted to do this angle, use someone the fans care about. Hell, use Danial Bryan. Get him on TV for a moment, back into people's minds, and people will pop huge for an otherwise pointless segment. And you could even film it so he doesn't have to travel to where RAW is broadcast from.

I guess Vince decided to make him a jobber again. Only in WWE can a guy have a huge, completely organic fan following, put on not one but TWO match of the year candidates on BACK TO BACK WEEKS, and still be slotted to be an undercard nobody two months later.

Totally agree with everything you said. Especially that Nattie vs. Sasha match. I'm pretty sure that would be first time ever, and if given time, that could be amazing!

I did watch the match, but I think I will have to go back and watch it again with a more open mind, as I don't like Nikki very much (Brie is better!) and didn't really pay too close attention.

Well... he punched the social media guy for being a racist, but as for the rest of it, my thinking is that WWE knows that they're paying Del Rio enough money that he's not going to pull sh*t like bitching about flights or whatever the issue was with wXw.
I'm not defending the media guy in the slightest, but I think ADR handled it poorly. It just makes me wonder what other issues are going to happen with him when he's a bit of a loose cannon. I'm sure for the first little bit he's going to be a good boy because he's gotten another chance at the biggest wrestling promotion in the world, being on TV all the time and making the kind of money he wants, but after some time passes, the discontent will return and he'll do something dumb. I DESPERATELY hope he proves me wrong though.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 1st, '15, 13:06

Serujuunin wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: PAIGE, CHARLOTTE, & BECKY BACKSTAGE- Paige plugs that she was on Conan. She also takes credit for starting the Divas Revolution, which is like taking credit for starting the XFL (which even WWE is smart enough to avoid doing).

I did watch the match, but I think I will have to go back and watch it again with a more open mind, as I don't like Nikki very much (Brie is better!) and didn't really pay too close attention.
We've all always been saying that Brie is better, but I'm not sure that's true anymore. I think Nikki might well be the better twin now by a significant margin.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Nov 3rd, '15, 21:47

Big Red Machine wrote: PAIGE, CHARLOTTE, & BECKY BACKSTAGE- Paige plugs that she was on Conan. She also takes credit for starting the Divas Revolution, which is like taking credit for starting the XFL (which even WWE is smart enough to avoid doing).

We've all always been saying that Brie is better, but I'm not sure that's true anymore. I think Nikki might well be the better twin now by a significant margin.
I REALLY need to give her a second chance then. I'll add the match to my long list of must watches haha