BRM's thoughts on the 2/14/2011 Raw (OMFG THE ROCK!)

Big Red Machine

BRM's thoughts on the 2/14/2011 Raw (OMFG THE ROCK!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 16th, '11, 16:00

CENA PROMO- This was good. Cena did what he does best, which was get the crowd hyped up, even for stuff they probably wouldn’t normally be hyped for, like the guest host announcement.

CENA vs. PUNK- 7/10. Clever finish.

SMACKDOWN SEGMENT- This was a great segment THAT SHOULD HAVE TAKEN PLACE ON SMACKDOWN!
Crap, I miss ONE WEEK of Smackdown, and apparently some crazy sh*t went down. Guess I watching SD before I finish the rest of this week’s Raw.

Okay. Back to Raw.

LUMBERJILL MATCH FOR THE DIVAS TITLE: Eve Torres(c) vs. Natalya- 4.5/10.
This stip makes absolutely no sense in this feud!

RANDOM BACKSTAGE DIVAS SCHMOZ- Okay, I guess.

SHEAMUS TAKES OUT MARK HENRY- Good.

Miz pushing that guy backstage was AWESOME. What a jerk. I just want to see someone beat him SO BADLY!

DANIEL BRYAN vs. THE MIZ (w/Alex Riley)- 6.75/10
It’s Valentine’s Day! Gail should have accompanied Dragon to the ring.
Good promo by Miz after the match.

R-TRUTH & JOHN MORRISON vs. OTUNGA & MCGILLICUTTY (w/Nexus)- 5/10, but got over what it needed to perfectly. If I were booking this, I would have had R-Truth off of this week’s show to sell his injuries.

KHALI-KISS-CAM… you know what? It’s Valentine’s day. I’m fine with this. They got almost all of the kayfabe couples, and actually did something storyline-wase with Maryse & Dibiase. My one gripe is that they should have had Gail & Dragon as they are the one kayfabe couple that they missed. But then… the following happened. A midget kissed a thirteen year old girl. Are we sure there aren’t obscenity laws or child-actor laws being violated here? And if not, there should be obscenity laws against having Hornswoggle on TV. But consider the following:
We never saw the Nexus member from earlier emerge from under the ring. We did just see Hornswoggle come out from under the ring… Hmmm…

RANDY ORTON vs. SHEAMUS- 5/10. Good while it lasted, but WAY too short!
The aftermath was pretty good, but Punk shouldn’t have taken the Attitude Adjustment. He is the heel leader. He should escape.
Okay, this is WAY over-produced to the point where it is getting annoying. Just play the music alre-YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE ROCK! OMG! THE F*CKING ROCK IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROCKY! ROCKY! ROCKY!
That is probably the loudest pop I have heard on WWE TV in years. Maybe since Cena’s return at the Royal Rumble.
This segment was amazing. So much fun. Totally makes up for the crap wrestling on this show. Rocky hasn’t lost a step on the mic. WWE probably won’t come back to Anaheim for about two years after this because the fans have all lost their voices and might jot have them back by then! Hearing the censor try to keep up with Rocky was absolutely hilarious.

Stupid Announcer Quotes:
Was there some memo we all missed saying that all announcers must now refer to suplexes as “throws”? It has been happening a lot in both WWE and TNA lately, and it is pissing me off.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM's thoughts on the 2/14/2011 Raw (OMFG THE ROCK!)

Post by cero2k » Feb 16th, '11, 16:42

Big Red Machine wrote: A midget kissed a thirteen year old girl. Are we sure there aren’t obscenity laws or child-actor laws being violated here? And if not, there should be obscenity laws against having Hornswoggle on TV.
Chris Hansen does not approve...

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Feb 16th, '11, 18:15

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: A midget kissed a thirteen year old girl. Are we sure there aren’t obscenity laws or child-actor laws being violated here? And if not, there should be obscenity laws against having Hornswoggle on TV.
Chris Hansen does not approve...
=)) Mr.....Swogle? would you mind having a seat? Just have a seat...right there. Just go ahead and have a seat right there....

I too cracked up pretty hard when Miz pie-faced that guy; that was funny as hell, VERY heelish.

As far as the announcers calling suplexes throws, I have no problem with it; suplexes ARE throws, though I would prefer it if they actually pointed out what KIND of throw/suplex was used (at AAO, after Tenay complimented a "throw" Angle did to JJ, Taz added "yeah, nice T-Bone Suplex there", so I was okay with that). I feel it's about the same as using clothesline or legline interchangeably with lariat or leg lariat....

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Feb 16th, '11, 18:22

Big Red Machine wrote:DANIEL BRYAN vs. THE MIZ (w/Alex Riley)- 6.75/10
I'd say that match was pretty dang good. Decent length, exciting and no BS finish.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Feb 16th, '11, 18:46

Rabid619 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:DANIEL BRYAN vs. THE MIZ (w/Alex Riley)- 6.75/10
I'd say that match was pretty dang good. Decent length, exciting and no BS finish.
me too; I really enjoyed it. Besides his match against Morrison, I think Miz v. Bryan from this monday was Miz's best match....

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 17th, '11, 08:58

BRM you totally made my morning. The OMFG THE ROCK in your title made me smile. :D

I almost entirely agree. Miz and Bryan was a good match and probably should have been given some more time and leeway... They could have put on a ppv quality match.

I liked Morrison's match (really, are you surprised? I have a good reason though) because it gave Morrison a chance to show some aggression and show that he's more than a "spot monkey". His aggression was impressive to me and established him as a serious threat in the upcoming Elimination Chamber PPV. I don't think a lot of people believe he's a legitimate contender, and this was an attempt to sway those people.

The Rock was AMAZING! I popped more than I have in a really long time, and I was even screaming at me TV! I'm so happy that he's bringing a bit of "Attitude" back with him too!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 17th, '11, 09:12

Serujuunin wrote:BRM you totally made my morning. The OMFG THE ROCK in your title made me smile. :D

The Rock was AMAZING! I popped more than I have in a really long time, and I was even screaming at me TV! I'm so happy that he's bringing a bit of "Attitude" back with him too!
That was exactly how I felt. I can't remember the last time I sat there, spouting off catchphrases along with the guy on TV.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 17th, '11, 09:44

Big Red Machine wrote:
Serujuunin wrote:BRM you totally made my morning. The OMFG THE ROCK in your title made me smile. :D

That was exactly how I felt. I can't remember the last time I sat there, spouting off catchphrases along with the guy on TV.
I most definitely was doing that too. When he said it was seven years since he was wrestling I went "... I was thirteen, how the f**k do I remember all this sh*t!" lol. I felt old. >.<

Codebreaker

Post by Codebreaker » Feb 18th, '11, 14:29

Big Red Machine wrote:KHALI-KISS-CAM… you know what? It’s Valentine’s day. I’m fine with this.
I just saw this as a waste of time. I would much rather see this time as wrestling. I do see the quality in the segment which you've pointed out though - I found Regal funny. Maybe I'd feel differently if they didn't do this kind of rubbish each week, usually involving Hornswoggle. That dance-off with Khali/Kozlov and the Usos a few weeks ago made me shudder it was so bad.

I'm as happy as anyone on here to see The Rock back!! I still can't quite believe it. It's the one thing more than anything else that I wanted to see happen in wrestling today. It's made so much sweeter for me because of the doubts whether he'd actually appear live on WWE TV ever again and that fact it's been 7 years. Seeing him go turnbuckle to turnbuckle posing for the crowd was like watching him yesterday - that was the weirdest, best thing for me!

He also hinted that he could be back for a while and that must mean he's going to wrestle again! Unbelievable.

Welcome back Rock!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 18th, '11, 15:03

Codebreaker wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:KHALI-KISS-CAM… you know what? It’s Valentine’s day. I’m fine with this.
I just saw this as a waste of time. I would much rather see this time as wrestling. I do see the quality in the segment which you've pointed out though - I found Regal funny. Maybe I'd feel differently if they didn't do this kind of rubbish each week, usually involving Hornswoggle. That dance-off with Khali/Kozlov and the Usos a few weeks ago made me shudder it was so bad.
That's exactly it. If they did this kind of stuff every once in a while, it might even be good, rather than just okay, but when they do it constantly (especially when it doesn't lead to anything) it is just a waste of time, and it brings other segments like it that would otherwise be fine down to being bad.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Feb 19th, '11, 23:19

Big Red Machine wrote:
Codebreaker wrote:
That's exactly it. If they did this kind of stuff every once in a while, it might even be good, rather than just okay, but when they do it constantly (especially when it doesn't lead to anything) it is just a waste of time, and it brings other segments like it that would otherwise be fine down to being bad.
at least it had been a while since they did it; Khali hadn't been on RAW for over a month or two, right? He returned at the Rumble, didn't he?

Either way, it's acceptable on Valentine's Day; it's absolutely stupid the rest of the time....