Warning: Spoilers Inside
cero2k
Site Admin

ROH War of the Worlds live results: The Elite come to Toronto

Post by cero2k » May 8th, '17, 09:17

source: http://www.f4wonline.com/roh-results/ro ... nto-235101

- Rhett Titus & Caprice Coleman defeated Motor City Machine Guns

- Hirooki Goto defeated Shane Taylor

The crowd heat for this was lacking as some people didn't really buy into Taylor or perhaps didn't know who he was. This might have been the weakest match on the card.

- Dalton Castle & The Boys defeated RPG Vice & Gedo

This had lots of comedy. Castle was really over with the Toronto crowd.

- Bully Ray defeated Hangman Page and Punishment Martinez

They had a good triple threat match. Of course, Bully Ray was over with the fans. He did classic Dudley Boyz spots with Page filling the role of D-Von.

- Cody defeated Will Ospreay

Both guys were really over and this match was super hot. Ospreay used a lot of his signature high spots, but toned things down a bit from the type of matches he was having last year. Cody was solid in his role and they had a good back and forth match.

- Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI defeated Matt Taven & Vinny Marseglia

This had an interesting dynamic given that both teams are heels. They had The Kingdom cut a heel promo on the crowd to counter that, making fun of the audience and the Toronto Raptors. Los Ingobernables de Japon (especially Naito) ended up being very over with the crowd anyway.

Naito hit the Destino on Marseglia to get the win. The match lacked heat a bit because no one bought that the Los Ingobernables team would lose.

- The Briscoes defeated EVIL & SANADA and Beer City Bruiser & Silas Young

The Briscoes ended up getting the win in this triple threat tag match. SANADA has quite the presence. The crowd wasn't really into Beer City Bruiser and Young, but they managed to win the audience over with high spots of their own.

- KUSHIDA defeated Jay Lethal

This was my favorite match of the night. It was really strong and they did a lot of pure wrestling. It went back and forth as they did some great counters. KUSHIDA nailed the Lethal Injection on Lethal at one point.

- The Elite (Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks) defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi & The Addiction (Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian)

No one on this show was as over as The Elite. They were like rock stars to the crowd. As over as the Bucks were when they entered the ring, it was nothing compared to Omega. It's just amazing to see how much has changed in a year.

The match was full of crazy high spots and it never let up. The crowd was unglued for the whole thing, and it must have gone 30 minutes at least. Daniels was going to nail Omega with the championship belt at one point, but Cody ran in and grabbed the title from behind to make the save. The match finished with Omega hitting the One Winged Angel on Daniels for the pin.

Big Red Machine

Re: ROH War of the Worlds live results: The Elite come to Toronto

Post by Big Red Machine » May 8th, '17, 09:31

cero2k wrote:source: http://www.f4wonline.com/roh-results/ro ... nto-235101

- KUSHIDA defeated Jay Lethal

This was my favorite match of the night. It was really strong and they did a lot of pure wrestling. It went back and forth as they did some great counters. KUSHIDA nailed the Lethal Injection on Lethal at one point.

Well... that's utterly baffling considering that Lethal is going to get a title shot on PPV next week while KUSHIDA is currently doing absolutely nothing in New Japan.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 8th, '17, 09:38

i didn't even think about KUSHIDA losing a lot i NJPW, but I have no idea why defeat one third of the world title show, the babyface third BTW. Now i'm totally convinced that Cody pins Lethal to win the title

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 8th, '17, 10:46

cero2k wrote:i didn't even think about KUSHIDA losing a lot i NJPW, but I have no idea why defeat one third of the world title show, the babyface third BTW. Now i'm totally convinced that Cody pins Lethal to win the title

Huh. Most of the speculation I've seen actually has Cody pinning Daniels, which sets up Lethal as the immediate #1 contender because not only did he not lose here, but he also just beat Cody in their bullrope match, and having the guy who is about to win the belt do a job right before he wins it to set up a #1 contender is a Delirious go-to. Between this and Lethal's loss to Silas last weekend, though, it's possible that they're going your route and could go with Daniels' rematch at the main event for Best in the World 2017... but then again, if they were going to engage in booking that made some sort of sense, they wouldn't have jobber Lethal out here.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 8th, '17, 11:29

what i had seen is that they'll play it out as Cody not really earning the spot to challenge for the title, and by pinning Lethal instead of Daniels, he's an unworthy champion because he kinda worked himself into it, but never earning it like Daniels did. So it's all about I don't deserve to be the champ, but hey, i already am

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 8th, '17, 11:56

cero2k wrote:what i had seen is that they'll play it out as Cody not really earning the spot to challenge for the title, and by pinning Lethal instead of Daniels, he's an unworthy champion because he kinda worked himself into it, but never earning it like Daniels did. So it's all about I don't deserve to be the champ, but hey, i already am

That's definitely a good route to go, and there is a definite vibe within the fanbase (on the indies in general but it seems stronger than usual in ROH) that Cody hasn't really delivered to the level of his hype, so this could play off of those feelings, adding an Xavier-esque heat to it. In order to really make it work, however, they'll need to be extremely careful about booking their challengers strongly and making it seem like each challenger has earned his title shot because the moment the give title shots (or even #1 contendership matches) to guys just for the sake of having a title/contendership match happen then those guys become no different than Cody and the it kills the angle.
This is also the kind of angle where you could have used interference in title defenses to get some real heat if Delirious hadn't spent the past few years completely destroying the Code of Honor.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 8th, '17, 12:15

now with Cole pretty much gone, you can bet your ass that the Bucks will interfere in every single Cody match from now on, which makes me think that we're getting Addiction vs Bucks and Cody vs Lethal after BITW. I do agree that ROH will likely fuck it up by giving unworthy challengers All those challengers should be already building their cases.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 9th, '17, 10:16

Something else we didn't talk about, Omega pinning the ROH World Champ in the main event