Keith Lee (c) defeats Lou Sterrett

MAIN SHOW:

Survival Of The Fittest 2016 First Round Four Corner Survival Match
Panther defeats Silas Young and Will Ferrara and Yohei Komatsu
Panther pinned Ferrara after a top-rope dropkick said to be "STIFF!"

Survival Of The Fittest 2016 First Round Match
Jax Dane defeats Donovan Dijak

Damian Martinez defeats Cheeseburger (and Colt Cabana?)
This was supposed to be Alex Shelley vs. Cheeseburger vs. Colt Cabana, but Shelley was apparently "attacked backstage." I haven't seen a concrete answer one way or the other as to whether Cabana was in the match. He was announced for tomorrow night, though, while Shelley was not (rumor is that Shelley missed his flight).

Bobby Fish defeats Kenny King (w/Caprice Coleman)

Survival Of The Fittest 2016 First Round Three Way Match
Dalton Castle defeats Chris Sabin and Rhett Titus (w/Caprice Coleman)

Survival Of The Fittest 2016 First Round Four Corner Survival Match
Lio Rush defeats Hangman Page and Misterioso Jr. and Sho Tanaka

Singles Match
Kyle O'Reilly defeats Christopher Daniels
Daniels offered Kyle a handshake after the match

Three Way Tag Team Street Fight:
The Briscoes (Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe) defeat Keith Lee & Shane Taylor and War Machine (Hanson & Ray Rowe)
This was supposed to be a regular tag match between the Briscoes and War Machine but Taylor and Lee came out and said they wanted in, and then the Briscoes said they wanted it to be a Street Fight and everyone agreed.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: ROH Survival of the Fittest 2016 Night 1 Results

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 4th, '16, 12:12

This booking is REALLY odd. First of all, the guys advancing are:
Fish (fine)
Panther (CMLL relationship needs to be pushed, I guess)
Rush (good underdog story)
Castle (already has a title shot coming to him so him advancing makes no sense- either he gets beaten on the way to his title shot or he earns a redundant one)
Martinez (shouldn't be getting beaten right now, so he shouldn't be in here unless he is going to win it all)
Dane (makes some sense as apparently they've been doing an angle where Dijak is losing and Nana is unhappy (or maybe Nana is accidentally costing Dijak matches? I'm not really sure).
Hidden text.
If Cabana was indeed at the show, I really think he should have advanced because if the angle is that Cabana turned on Dalton because he doesn't think Dalton is being serious enough and was thus dragging their team down, then we need to show Serious Cabana winning to give him some credibility. I wouldn't even object to Colt winning the whole thing.
SOTF this year feels very... un-star-studded. I understand them not wanting have Kyle in there because him winning would be too obvious, but this feels like it lacks star power and will feel very underwhelming unless it's some crazy stepping-stone win for Rush or possibly Martinez, as Fish is already a top guy, Castle already has a title shot, and the other two aren't regulars so everyone knows their title shots would just be one-offs.

The main event booking was also extremely weird. If you're planning on doing a crazy three-way street fight, why not just announce it as such instead of announcing it as a regular tag match between only two of the teams? Also, why have Lee & Taylor involved in this when they are already booked for a hardcore match against War Machine on Night 2?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3