Is Rey Mysterio Overrated as the Best High Flyer Ever?

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.

Rey rey = Best High Flyer Ever

Overrated!
67%
Spot On!
33%

Total votes: 9

cero2k
Site Admin

Is Rey Mysterio Overrated as the Best High Flyer Ever?

Post by cero2k » Sep 26th, '12, 21:12

day in day out i hear that Rey Mysterio is the greatest high flyer ever. And it's not only WWE selling his product, a lot consider him as such...but is he really?? Sure he came out during an era with not a lot of high flyers, but he still had a solid competition in Ultimo Dragon, or Kidman, or Psicosis, or many others out there.

Do you consider that calling Rey rey the "best high flyer ever" is a bit of an overstatement or is it spot on??

Big Red Machine

Re: Is Rey Mysterio Overrated as the Best High Flyer Ever?

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 26th, '12, 21:50

That is a MAJOR overstatement. When I think "high-flyer" I think more than the typical lucha stuff, and Rey only does some of the normal lucha stuff. To me, a high-flyer is about top-rope moves, dives, flips and spins. Jack Evans, Matt Sydal, PAC, the Young Bucks, even Tyler Black are better high-flyers than Rey (and I'm sure there are many luchadors who are better than Rey, but I can't speak with authority on that because I don't follow lucha).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Sep 27th, '12, 03:08

During his WCW run and the first few years of his WWE run, Rey was the best high flyer anyone had ever seen. He was head and shoulders above anyone else in his time. Yes, there are many guys who are better than he is NOW, but I don't think there's a single high flyer that has been better than Rey HAS been. No one is better at High Flying wrestling than Rey was from about 95 til 2001.

RedSon

Post by RedSon » Oct 7th, '12, 05:53

he definitely used to be one of the best back in the day, and even then he had some competition in japan and mexico. best of all time, i find it hard to believe
The Man That Gravity Forgot!

Big Bad Booty Daddy

Post by Big Bad Booty Daddy » Oct 9th, '12, 13:02

Deffo!!! If you look at his early WCW stuff compared to now its completely different!!!

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 10th, '12, 11:11

Are there people out there that can do better flippy-do's than Rey Rey? Absolutely, and there always has been. Not to take anything away from his early stuff, his Hurricarana into a pin during his WCW days used to blow my mind, but there were guys IN WCW at the time that had equally impressive stuff in their arsenal.

However, you can't deny him what he's accomplished. He is a High Flyer, and he's accomplished more than any other High Flyer in the world. From exposure and marketing (high profile pushes), to how easily he gets over with his huge fan base and his "staying" power, Rey I think it's safe to say that Rey has gone further than any other High Flyer ever has in the industry. He's as close to a Household Name as any High Flyer has ever been. I'd put him right up there with all the guys who aren't Stone Cold, Hogan, or Rock - on the level of a Triple H or John Cena, in terms of celebrity.

I don't think "Best High Flyer Ever" is an overstatement for Rey, but that's also reliant on the context of the question. He was never unbeatable, I have a hard time even coming up with a time that he stole the show, but at the same time I can't think of another High Flyer who's more accepted worldwide.

Big Bad Booty Daddy

Post by Big Bad Booty Daddy » Oct 16th, '12, 08:49

Bob-O wrote:Are there people out there that can do better flippy-do's than Rey Rey? Absolutely, and there always has been. Not to take anything away from his early stuff, his Hurricarana into a pin during his WCW days used to blow my mind, but there were guys IN WCW at the time that had equally impressive stuff in their arsenal.

However, you can't deny him what he's accomplished. He is a High Flyer, and he's accomplished more than any other High Flyer in the world. From exposure and marketing (high profile pushes), to how easily he gets over with his huge fan base and his "staying" power, Rey I think it's safe to say that Rey has gone further than any other High Flyer ever has in the industry. He's as close to a Household Name as any High Flyer has ever been. I'd put him right up there with all the guys who aren't Stone Cold, Hogan, or Rock - on the level of a Triple H or John Cena, in terms of celebrity.

I don't think "Best High Flyer Ever" is an overstatement for Rey, but that's also reliant on the context of the question. He was never unbeatable, I have a hard time even coming up with a time that he stole the show, but at the same time I can't think of another High Flyer who's more accepted worldwide.

Good read Bob