Is ROH still an Indy Fed?

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.

Is ROH is an indy fed

YES
80%
NO
20%

Total votes: 5

cero2k
Site Admin

Is ROH still an Indy Fed?

Post by cero2k » Jun 19th, '12, 21:14

I have a question for all, after all that ROH has grown over the years. Do you still consider ROH as an indy fed?

Big Red Machine

Re: Is ROH still an Indy Fed?

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 19th, '12, 22:31

I'll go with yes because of the following major reason: No national TV deal (and in a horrible/non-consistent time slot)
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Verdun

Post by Verdun » Jun 19th, '12, 22:57

I voted yes. It's definitely not on the mainstream radar.

Of course, by that standard TNA is barely not an Indy Fed I suppose.
Lady Luck is smiling...

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Jun 19th, '12, 22:57

Yes for the same reasons BRM mentioned. Until it airs consistently on national TV it's still an Indy Fed to me.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jun 20th, '12, 06:51

I agree with all of the above, especially with Verdun's view of TNA barely being more than an Indy. It's all about viewership, exposure, and notoriety.

RedSon

Post by RedSon » Jun 22nd, '12, 18:43

yeah, still a indy fed. miles ahead from all the rest of the indies out there, but still an indy.
The Man That Gravity Forgot!

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jul 22nd, '12, 21:00

I think it's getting too big to be considered an indy anymore. It's in a weird middle ground where it's not WWE, but it's not your local indy-schmuck filled promotion. IWA-MS in its day was a popular promotion but definitely independent. ROH, WAY above that level. It's way above CHIKARA, CZW, PWG, DGUSA, EVOLVE, JAPW, etc. So while it's not a WWE or TNA machine, it's still not an indy, and since the question is is it still an indy? I believe no.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 22nd, '12, 22:15

yourcrapsweak wrote:I think it's getting too big to be considered an indy anymore. It's in a weird middle ground where it's not WWE, but it's not your local indy-schmuck filled promotion. IWA-MS in its day was a popular promotion but definitely independent. ROH, WAY above that level. It's way above CHIKARA, CZW, PWG, DGUSA, EVOLVE, JAPW, etc. So while it's not a WWE or TNA machine, it's still not an indy, and since the question is is it still an indy? I believe no.
The more I think about it, the more I think this is the best analysis of ROH's situation. ROH is in about 75% of American households, but it is airs at different times, depending on where you are, and in most places, it has an extremely crappy time-slot. The only comparable situation I can think of is ECW in the mid-90's, although ECW (I think was in less households), but a lot of ROH's prominence, IMO actually comes more from the internet. If the internet had been as big in the mid 90's as it is now, I think maybe ROH now would be comparable with mid-90's ECW
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3