Best Wrestler to never have a (Meltzer) 5* Match

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.
cero2k
Site Admin

Best Wrestler to never have a (Meltzer) 5* Match

Post by cero2k » Oct 10th, '16, 15:31

Did you know that Bryan Danielson nor Kurt Angle have Meltzer rated 5-Star Matches?

What other amazing wrestlers are you surprised that never got one?

Big Red Machine

Re: Best Wrestler to never have a (Meltzer) 5* Match

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 10th, '16, 17:21

cero2k wrote:Did you know that Bryan Danielson nor Kurt Angle have Meltzer rated 5-Star Matches?
I did, in fact, know this, which is one of the reasons I realized that Dave can't possibly be considered authoritative (neither HBK-Taker, or HHH-HBK-Benoit match getting the full five was insane, too. And AJ-Suzuki).
cero2k wrote: What other amazing wrestlers are you surprised that never got one?
Due to the above, I wouldn't say I am "surprised" so much as outraged that none of the following ever got one:
Dragon
Angle
Nigel McGuinness
Austin Aries
KENTA
Roderick Strong
Triple H
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 10th, '16, 19:07

Malenko nor Mysterio ever got one either, and Eddie's only one is from his younger days, I always thought Eddie's best work came much later on

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 10th, '16, 19:19

cero2k wrote:Malenko nor Mysterio ever got one either, and Eddie's only one is from his younger days, I always thought Eddie's best work came much later on
In general I'll agree that Eddie's best stuff came later on, but nothing can touch that match at When World's Collide (although I haven't actually seen the Lesnar match yet. I've been meaning to get around to watching that match forever).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 11th, '16, 09:19

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:Malenko nor Mysterio ever got one either, and Eddie's only one is from his younger days, I always thought Eddie's best work came much later on
In general I'll agree that Eddie's best stuff came later on, but nothing can touch that match at When World's Collide (although I haven't actually seen the Lesnar match yet. I've been meaning to get around to watching that match forever).
it's not 5* IMO, could have, but i didn't like parts of the finish, but definitely worth checking out + the build up segments, Eddie's best promo came from that build up.

Personally, Eddie vs Malenko 2-out-3 falls or Eddie vs Rey rey at Halloween Havoc 98 were always better than anything he did

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 11th, '16, 10:01

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
it's not 5* IMO, could have, but i didn't like parts of the finish, but definitely worth checking out + the build up segments, Eddie's best promo came from that build up.

Personally, Eddie vs Malenko 2-out-3 falls or Eddie vs Rey rey at Halloween Havoc 98 were always better than anything he did
I didn't think the Halloween Havoc match was close to *****. It was definitely over ****, but calling I don't see why people think it is such an all-time great. That Eddie-Dean match was probably ****1/2 (haven't seen it in a while), but I definitely didn't think it was the full *****

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation