BOTB: Swerve

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.
Big Red Machine

BOTB: Swerve

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 28th, '13, 20:28

I've been wracking my brain for a few days now, and I can't think of anything that even comes close to the whole thing with Sting in the War Games match at Fall Brawl 1996. It was just SO brilliant.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

badnewzxl

Re: BOTB: Swerve

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 28th, '13, 20:39

Shane Douglas throwing down the NWA title is prolly the closest to the Sting swerve, honestly. Not bc of the heat it got, but for the same REASON THEY GOT HEAT for it. The fact that it was a legit swerve that they turned into the rebirth of the company and (eventually) a whole new era in the industry....

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 10th, '14, 16:46

Daniel Bryan's inclusion in the Summerslam 2010 Team WWE vs. Nexus match. Aside from the fact that the waited until the very last minute to announce this, when they could've just announced it at the beginning because we're all in for the long haul anyway, it was amazing, and pretty much was the best save they could've made for wrongfully releasing D-Bry at the beginning of the angle.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 10th, '14, 16:49

NWK2000 wrote:Daniel Bryan's inclusion in the Summerslam 2010 Team WWE vs. Nexus match. Aside from the fact that the waited until the very last minute to announce this, when they could've just announced it at the beginning because we're all in for the long haul anyway, it was amazing, and pretty much was the best save they could've made for wrongfully releasing D-Bry at the beginning of the angle.
I actually thought that the swerve made it better and helped set up Miz vs. Dragon.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 10th, '14, 17:49

Swerves you say?? Mark Henry's fake retirement speech.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 10th, '14, 23:34

Big Red Machine wrote:
NWK2000 wrote:Daniel Bryan's inclusion in the Summerslam 2010 Team WWE vs. Nexus match. Aside from the fact that the waited until the very last minute to announce this, when they could've just announced it at the beginning because we're all in for the long haul anyway, it was amazing, and pretty much was the best save they could've made for wrongfully releasing D-Bry at the beginning of the angle.
I actually thought that the swerve made it better and helped set up Miz vs. Dragon.
I'm not saying it wasn't a good swerve, it's just that everything that was done could've been done at the beginning of the Pay Per View, and frankly, would've saved us several awful Miz segments.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

kirbs2002

Post by kirbs2002 » Mar 11th, '14, 02:31

The biggest double-cross of them all, Survivor Series 1997. If it has to be a work, I probably have to go with Hogan joining the Outsiders. People were actually throwing stuff at that, when a heel gets that kind of heat, it brings a little joy to the icy void that is supposed to be my heart.
Reality TV is faker than "fake" wrestling!

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Mar 11th, '14, 23:54

kirbs2002 wrote:The biggest double-cross of them all, Survivor Series 1997. If it has to be a work, I probably have to go with Hogan joining the Outsiders. People were actually throwing stuff at that, when a heel gets that kind of heat, it brings a little joy to the icy void that is supposed to be my heart.
The Screwjob sucked bc it didn't mean anything; Douglas did the same kinda swerve but the fact that it was actually part of a plan to build a promotion and feed dozens of ppl for almost a decade and not a seemingly petty slap in the face makes Douglas' 'swerve' the better imo

kirbs2002

Post by kirbs2002 » Mar 12th, '14, 00:16

badnewzxl wrote:
kirbs2002 wrote:The biggest double-cross of them all, Survivor Series 1997. If it has to be a work, I probably have to go with Hogan joining the Outsiders. People were actually throwing stuff at that, when a heel gets that kind of heat, it brings a little joy to the icy void that is supposed to be my heart.
The Screwjob sucked bc it didn't mean anything; Douglas did the same kinda swerve but the fact that it was actually part of a plan to build a promotion and feed dozens of ppl for almost a decade and not a seemingly petty slap in the face makes Douglas' 'swerve' the better imo
At the moment it may not have meant anything, but it's considered the moment the Attitude Era began and it led to the creation of Mr. McMahon
Reality TV is faker than "fake" wrestling!

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Mar 12th, '14, 01:02

kirbs2002 wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:
At the moment it may not have meant anything, but it's considered the moment the Attitude Era began and it led to the creation of Mr. McMahon
yeah; it's not an actual go-to moment for the beginnings of VKM is a character, but I bet it was the instance that helped Vince realize how he himself could forge an on-air relationship with the fans.

When it comes to Shane Douglas tho, that was huge when it happened and from then on....

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mar 13th, '14, 20:45

badnewzxl wrote:yeah; it's not an actual go-to moment for the beginnings of VKM is a character, but I bet it was the instance that helped Vince realize how he himself could forge an on-air relationship with the fans.
But it is! I think it was in a Cornette shoot, he talked about the events following Montreal. When Vince filmed the "Bret screwed Bret" stuff, he thought he'd be perceived as the victim of the situation. The babyface, if you will. When the sympathy went to Bret... :-o ...he realized he looked like an idiot, but he embraced it in an effort to save face. Mr McMahon was born!

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Mar 14th, '14, 21:17

Bob-O wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:yeah; it's not an actual go-to moment for the beginnings of VKM is a character, but I bet it was the instance that helped Vince realize how he himself could forge an on-air relationship with the fans.
But it is! I think it was in a Cornette shoot, he talked about the events following Montreal. When Vince filmed the "Bret screwed Bret" stuff, he thought he'd be perceived as the victim of the situation. The babyface, if you will. When the sympathy went to Bret... :-o ...he realized he looked like an idiot, but he embraced it in an effort to save face. Mr McMahon was born!
VKM didn't start as a character really until Austin won the title; before that he was no different from any other commentator on screen. Bischof was an authoruty figure; Vince wasn't really. He never began to act on it until Austin won the title.

I'm sure the screwjob was when VKM decided to go in that direction, but he waited until the right time to actually become that character on air, in full when Austin was the center of the promotion. I don't think Vince was even trying to be the babyface there; I think he did have one of his genius moments and added a layer to his own persona. I don't usually like to give Vince as much credit as most, but I'll give him cred here.