Page 11 of 20

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Jun 15th, '17, 12:10
by Big Red Machine
cero2k wrote:
Jun 15th, '17, 09:49
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 14th, '17, 22:43

Scoreboard says...
Hidden text.
******1/4
I'm also shocked that Dave didn't give the Jr. Heavyweights the full five based on the way he was talking about that match.
i wonder if i'll ever go Spinal Tap on a match and turn it up to 11/10
I won't on principle, though I guess it depends on how you see your scale. To me, if 10/10 is perfect then you can't go higher than that. I'm not trying to compare every single match to see which is the best- just to evaluate each one in a vacuum. If I think one is particularly great (like Okada vs. Shibata, which is still my MOTY) I'll note it, but I still won't go higher than 10. But if you're just trying to compare every match then I guess going past it could make sense- like the out of 10 is a baseline, not a hard rule.



sometimes i feel like Dave won't do 2 five+ stars in the same show
To my knowledge he's never done so, so it might be possible. That does seem like the sort of silly thing Dave would arbitrarily decide to do.

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Jun 15th, '17, 12:22
by cero2k
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 15th, '17, 12:10

I won't on principle, though I guess it depends on how you see your scale. To me, if 10/10 is perfect then you can't go higher than that. I'm not trying to compare every single match to see which is the best- just to evaluate each one in a vacuum. If I think one is particularly great (like Okada vs. Shibata, which is still my MOTY) I'll note it, but I still won't go higher than 10. But if you're just trying to compare every match then I guess going past it could make sense- like the out of 10 is a baseline, not a hard rule.



To my knowledge he's never done so, so it might be possible. That does seem like the sort of silly thing Dave would arbitrarily decide to do.

i don't do it in principle either since i'm straight up saying that the grade is out of 10, but I when looking back at all our reviews, I do sometimes compare them and some older 10/10s don't hold against say Kenny vs Omega.

I don't know how dave writes his reviews, i personally grade right after the match so the perspective doesn't change afterwards. I thought Takahashi vs KUSHIDA was an almost perfect match, but after Omega vs Okada being a 10, Takahashi vs KUSHIDA was a lost 9.5 now. Maybe that's the reason why Dave has never done two 5*s in the same show.

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Jun 15th, '17, 13:57
by Big Red Machine
cero2k wrote:
Jun 15th, '17, 12:22
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 15th, '17, 12:10

I won't on principle, though I guess it depends on how you see your scale. To me, if 10/10 is perfect then you can't go higher than that. I'm not trying to compare every single match to see which is the best- just to evaluate each one in a vacuum. If I think one is particularly great (like Okada vs. Shibata, which is still my MOTY) I'll note it, but I still won't go higher than 10. But if you're just trying to compare every match then I guess going past it could make sense- like the out of 10 is a baseline, not a hard rule.



To my knowledge he's never done so, so it might be possible. That does seem like the sort of silly thing Dave would arbitrarily decide to do.

i don't do it in principle either since i'm straight up saying that the grade is out of 10, but I when looking back at all our reviews, I do sometimes compare them and some older 10/10s don't hold against say Kenny vs Omega.

I don't know how dave writes his reviews, i personally grade right after the match so the perspective doesn't change afterwards. I thought Takahashi vs KUSHIDA was an almost perfect match, but after Omega vs Okada being a 10, Takahashi vs KUSHIDA was a lost 9.5 now. Maybe that's the reason why Dave has never done two 5*s in the same show.
I tend to do it the same way you do. I think the immediate perspective and immediate reactions are the most true. But I rate each match as soon as I'm done with it so the rating of the next match never effects the rating of the current one.

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Jul 4th, '17, 20:16
by Big Red Machine
RPG Vice vs. Young Bucks from the G1 Special In USA: Day 2

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Jul 20th, '17, 12:45
by cero2k
Suzuki vs Omega!

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Aug 2nd, '17, 12:37
by cero2k
Omega vs EVIL from Day 12 G1

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Aug 13th, '17, 23:15
by Big Red Machine
Dave has all but confirmed that he's giving the Omega vs. Okada match at least *****, but said that he didn't think it was as good as the ******1/4 match at Dominion, and it seems easy to extrapolate from what he said that Naito vs. Omega will also get *****.

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Aug 17th, '17, 06:33
by Big Red Machine
Dave gave Tanahashi vs. Naito *****, Omega vs. Okada ****** and Omega vs. Naito *****3/4.

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Aug 17th, '17, 08:29
by cero2k
not a five star, but Dave gave 4.75 to Nakajima vs Cage from NOAH

From Today's WON
I saw the Katsuhiko Nakajima vs. Brian Cage title match from 7/27 and it was just ridiculous how great it was, ****3/4.

The negative as with so many matches is I worry about the physical damage,and some would say there’s an overkill aspect of doing so much. But thecrowd was going nuts, and it’s harder in a barely half-filled Korakuen Hallthan a full one to be so molten, variety and innovation was top notch,execution and excitement level was off the charts. The one “botch” wasactually made better because it showed Cage’s raw power in being able tocover for a botch and actually made it better. They are perfect opponents because Cage is so spectacular at what he can do, and Nakajima is the kind of a guy who works a physical and very real looking but main event special title match style. He’s the guy who can accentuate Cage’s strengths and mold itinto an incredible main event title match

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Aug 17th, '17, 08:33
by cero2k
Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 17th, '17, 06:33
Dave gave Tanahashi vs. Naito *****, Omega vs. Okada ****** and Omega vs. Naito *****3/4.
i kinda expected more 5stars throughout the tournament, but I'm not surprised about these. Omega vs Okada is officially the greatest trilogy

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Aug 17th, '17, 10:23
by Big Red Machine
cero2k wrote:
Aug 17th, '17, 08:33
Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 17th, '17, 06:33
Dave gave Tanahashi vs. Naito *****, Omega vs. Okada ****** and Omega vs. Naito *****3/4.
i kinda expected more 5stars throughout the tournament, but I'm not surprised about these. Omega vs Okada is officially the greatest trilogy
My thinking is that now that Dave is giving things out over six on a more than once a decade basis, the number of ***** matches will go up because Dave doesn't feel that they're the be-all end-all of everything.

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Sep 9th, '17, 07:49
by cero2k
Dave gave Dijak vs Keith Lee at BOLA night 3 5 stars

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Sep 29th, '17, 00:14
by Big Red Machine
Added the Dante Fox/Killshot "Hell of War" match for LU's first BRM-rated 10/10 perfect match.

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Oct 26th, '17, 01:29
by Big Red Machine
Dave gave last weekend's PWG ZSJ vs. WALTER match *****.

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Oct 28th, '17, 22:27
by Big Red Machine
cero2k wrote:
Sep 9th, '17, 07:49
Dave gave Dijak vs Keith Lee at BOLA night 3 5 stars
So does BRM.

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Nov 28th, '17, 15:28
by Big Red Machine
Will Ospreay vs. Zack Sabre Jr. from Global Wars UK 2017: Night 2 might well be up there at Omega vs. Okada level.

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Jan 4th, '18, 20:44
by Big Red Machine
EVERYONE GO WATCH OMEGA VS. JERICHO RIGHT NOW!

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Jan 4th, '18, 21:14
by cero2k
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jan 4th, '18, 20:44
EVERYONE GO WATCH OMEGA VS. JERICHO RIGHT NOW!
hmmm, i guess i can rewatch it

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Jan 4th, '18, 21:20
by Serujuunin
Big Red Machine wrote:
Jan 4th, '18, 20:44
EVERYONE GO WATCH OMEGA VS. JERICHO RIGHT NOW!
Where can one find it? I actually wanted to watch the whole show but I couldn't remember the date...

Re: Your 5 star matches

Posted: Jan 4th, '18, 21:31
by cero2k
Serujuunin wrote:
Jan 4th, '18, 21:20
Where can one find it? I actually wanted to watch the whole show but I couldn't remember the date...
if you don't want to pay, it should be in ASX tv on friday, or should hit dailymotion today or tomorrow