The Funny Wrestling Topic

Tell it to the world!!
User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14729
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by cero2k » Aug 10th, '17, 20:11

Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 10th, '17, 20:06

Because she is still a serious wrestler. He's not trying to help Breee. He's angry that Breeze is a comedy dork so he is trying to take him out.
ohh ok, i took it as he was trying to sabotage the skits so that breeze didn't have to act in them and get back to proper wrestling.


Image

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 3469
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54
Favorite Wrestler: Idk
Location: Ocean Springs,MS.

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 11th, '17, 07:44

Nope, sorry dude. Are Anderson was actually revealed to be the one that tore up that horse thing named Tully. For obvious reasons.

So part of it's over lol.

You didn't watch this week's part so you didn't know lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18634
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 12th, '17, 23:26

Trying to help his step-son fulfill his dream of becoming a pro wrestler, a teenage Lance Storm's stepfather called WWF Canada's office in Toronto to ask how someone goes about becoming a pro wrestler. His call was answered by none other than WWF President Jack Tunney, who insisted that "we recruit all of our wrestlers from the amateur ranks."
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14729
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by cero2k » Aug 14th, '17, 09:48

We saw KO on Friday and my gf said he looked like little miss sunshine during the bathing suit competition. Could not unsee after
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18634
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 24th, '17, 21:56

Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14729
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by cero2k » Aug 24th, '17, 22:09

jesus, i'm laughing, but my insides are also hurting
Image

User avatar
WrestlingJoker
Posts: 341
Joined: Jan 29th, '11, 19:03
Favorite Wrestler: Kane
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by WrestlingJoker » Aug 25th, '17, 10:18

Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 24th, '17, 21:56
Oh shit! Is he okay?
Image

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14729
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by cero2k » Aug 25th, '17, 20:36

Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18634
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 26th, '17, 22:12

cero2k wrote:
Aug 25th, '17, 20:36
Yeah... odds are that every last one of those guys aside from Gargano got signed off of their ROH work rather than PWG, and with Gargano with was probably his DGUSA/EVOLVE stuff.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14729
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by cero2k » Aug 26th, '17, 22:54

Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 26th, '17, 22:12
cero2k wrote:
Aug 25th, '17, 20:36
Yeah... odds are that every last one of those guys aside from Gargano got signed off of their ROH work rather than PWG, and with Gargano with was probably his DGUSA/EVOLVE stuff.
you really hate giving PWG credit don't you? it's a joke, Triple H doesn't even watch wrestling, he just signs whoever Regal tells him to sign. reDragon was surely signed from NJPW, Steen was definitely signed from PWG because it happened when Regal started going to the shows and I think Steen at one point said that this is when they started talking. Cole got signed because he was everywhere at the end, nxt signs popularity as much as wrestling quality.

Gargano and Ciampa got signed because they started doing jobs for them and the fans got behind them. We've seen several people get signed like that
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18634
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 27th, '17, 16:14

cero2k wrote:
Aug 26th, '17, 22:54
Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 26th, '17, 22:12
cero2k wrote:
Aug 25th, '17, 20:36
Yeah... odds are that every last one of those guys aside from Gargano got signed off of their ROH work rather than PWG, and with Gargano with was probably his DGUSA/EVOLVE stuff.
you really hate giving PWG credit don't you? it's a joke, Triple H doesn't even watch wrestling, he just signs whoever Regal tells him to sign. reDragon was surely signed from NJPW, Steen was definitely signed from PWG because it happened when Regal started going to the shows and I think Steen at one point said that this is when they started talking. Cole got signed because he was everywhere at the end, nxt signs popularity as much as wrestling quality.

Gargano and Ciampa got signed because they started doing jobs for them and the fans got behind them. We've seen several people get signed like that
It grates me because there has absolutely been this sort of "cult of PWG" type of atmosphere going around and there has been for years, when, in a lot of cases they don't deserve credit for anything other than running a basically unregulated/hands-off promotion a few times a year. Their business model is smart, but in a lot of cases I don't think it's one that should result in them getting too much credit for what their talent does. When they started to get their buzz in 2010-2011 a lot of it was basically piggy-backing off of things ROH had set up (in some cases capitalizing off of the fact that ROH had an actual plan and wanted to build up to a match by just cutting ROH's legs off by doing it first), and even a lot of the stuff they do today is capitalizing off of things that don't really have anything to do with them (for example, Trevor Lee's "TNA Superstar" gimmick has nothing to actually do with PWG). They're doing the old "super-indy" formula, but instead of trying to make their own stories out of the not names they're bringing in (like early ROH or current RevPro) they just mostly throw sh*t at the wall. Yes, Regal sometimes goes to the shows, but guys like these have been on WWE's radar for YEARS, and it certainly wasn't their PWG work that brought them to WWE's attention. Maybe Regal or Finlay or whoever sometimes come to PWG shows, but you're crazy if you don't think WWE hasn't had people watching ROH, TNA, New Japan, NOAH, AAA, CMLL, and every single sizable indy every step of the way.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14729
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by cero2k » Aug 28th, '17, 11:56

Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 27th, '17, 16:14

It grates me because there has absolutely been this sort of "cult of PWG" type of atmosphere going around and there has been for years, when, in a lot of cases they don't deserve credit for anything other than running a basically unregulated/hands-off promotion a few times a year. Their business model is smart, but in a lot of cases I don't think it's one that should result in them getting too much credit for what their talent does. When they started to get their buzz in 2010-2011 a lot of it was basically piggy-backing off of things ROH had set up (in some cases capitalizing off of the fact that ROH had an actual plan and wanted to build up to a match by just cutting ROH's legs off by doing it first), and even a lot of the stuff they do today is capitalizing off of things that don't really have anything to do with them (for example, Trevor Lee's "TNA Superstar" gimmick has nothing to actually do with PWG). They're doing the old "super-indy" formula, but instead of trying to make their own stories out of the not names they're bringing in (like early ROH or current RevPro) they just mostly throw sh*t at the wall. Yes, Regal sometimes goes to the shows, but guys like these have been on WWE's radar for YEARS, and it certainly wasn't their PWG work that brought them to WWE's attention. Maybe Regal or Finlay or whoever sometimes come to PWG shows, but you're crazy if you don't think WWE hasn't had people watching ROH, TNA, New Japan, NOAH, AAA, CMLL, and every single sizable indy every step of the way.
wrestling is the industry of making money, not about telling unique stories or finding talent. They found a formula that works for them and they made it work while tons of other promotions didn't. We need to give credit where credit is due. There IS a cult of PWG because PWG is awesome, we've been giving them 9+/10 matches for about 7 years, they keep selling their $100 dll tickets in 5 minutes, they keep getting people from all over the world traveling to this hellhole Reseda just to check them out. They don't need to make their own stories (which they somewhat do anyway), ESPECIALLY if you're a super indie, yeah, they may throw shit at the wall, but 95% of that shit sticks, so they're pretty fucking good at throwing shit at the wall and that in itself is deserving of praise. WWE throws tons more shit at the wall, and not even half of it sticks.

Regardless of what you think of their booking, PWG offers two big things that other promotions don't. (1) PWG's lack of a storyline-driven booking and environment tends to give the wrestlers the liberty to 'be themselves' and at the end, that has helped TONS of wrestlers truly find their gimmicks or what works for them. The Bucks would had never found their thing if it wasn't for the liberty of working for PWG, same with Joey Ryan and Candice. Steen, Cole, KOR, Roddy, Elgin, Hero, all had a chance to work slightly outside of what ROH wanted to encapsulate them in and it's those little things that help them get over from indie guy to indie darling, the thing that actually gets you signed with WWE.

(2) PWG DOES put people on the map, as awesome as the stories in EVOLVE or AIW or IWC, their power to put someone on the map doesn't compare with PWG. To begin with, PWG is THE west coast promotion, a whole side of the country that the east coast tends to ignore. They may not make new wrestlers, that's not their business, but when you're booked by PWG, people know they should be paying attention at you, that at least was the case from around '11 - '16, now more promotions have streaming so it's easier to get into stuff. PWG are the ones who really introduced Ospreay and Scurll and Tozawa (let's be honest, no one watches DG) into the US; PWG took guys like Trevor Lee, Biff Busick, and Bailey out of their local promotion obscurity. Guys like Ricochet, Cage, Joey Ryan, Willie Mack, The Bucks, they all flourished because of the work they've done for PWG.

And no, i actually don't think WWE has people watching AAA and NOAH and a ton of indies, they're like us, they hear buzz, then they pay attention. They started paying attention to PWG because it started to make buzz, same with PROGRESS, and ROH and ECW in their time. They rejected RIcochet and Kenny Omega until they started to make noise. WWE doesn't sign talent, they sign buzz and good looking people. Yeah, WWE hasn't signed anyone by PWG work alone (because they're not exclusive to begin with), but you're also crazy if you think that PWG's notoriety and buzz wasn't a big factor.

BOLA is next week, I assure you that after this weekend, Banks and WALTER will be in everyone's conversations and in WWE's radar, and NOT like months ago when they came with PROGRESS or EVOLVE.
Image

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14729
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by cero2k » Aug 28th, '17, 12:01



and ECIII's response

Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18634
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 28th, '17, 13:31

cero2k wrote:
Aug 28th, '17, 11:56
Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 27th, '17, 16:14

It grates me because there has absolutely been this sort of "cult of PWG" type of atmosphere going around and there has been for years, when, in a lot of cases they don't deserve credit for anything other than running a basically unregulated/hands-off promotion a few times a year. Their business model is smart, but in a lot of cases I don't think it's one that should result in them getting too much credit for what their talent does. When they started to get their buzz in 2010-2011 a lot of it was basically piggy-backing off of things ROH had set up (in some cases capitalizing off of the fact that ROH had an actual plan and wanted to build up to a match by just cutting ROH's legs off by doing it first), and even a lot of the stuff they do today is capitalizing off of things that don't really have anything to do with them (for example, Trevor Lee's "TNA Superstar" gimmick has nothing to actually do with PWG). They're doing the old "super-indy" formula, but instead of trying to make their own stories out of the not names they're bringing in (like early ROH or current RevPro) they just mostly throw sh*t at the wall. Yes, Regal sometimes goes to the shows, but guys like these have been on WWE's radar for YEARS, and it certainly wasn't their PWG work that brought them to WWE's attention. Maybe Regal or Finlay or whoever sometimes come to PWG shows, but you're crazy if you don't think WWE hasn't had people watching ROH, TNA, New Japan, NOAH, AAA, CMLL, and every single sizable indy every step of the way.
wrestling is the industry of making money, not about telling unique stories or finding talent. They found a formula that works for them and they made it work while tons of other promotions didn't. We need to give credit where credit is due. There IS a cult of PWG because PWG is awesome, we've been giving them 9+/10 matches for about 7 years, they keep selling their $100 dll tickets in 5 minutes, they keep getting people from all over the world traveling to this hellhole Reseda just to check them out. They don't need to make their own stories (which they somewhat do anyway), ESPECIALLY if you're a super indie, yeah, they may throw shit at the wall, but 95% of that shit sticks, so they're pretty fucking good at throwing shit at the wall and that in itself is deserving of praise. WWE throws tons more shit at the wall, and not even half of it sticks.

Regardless of what you think of their booking, PWG offers two big things that other promotions don't. (1) PWG's lack of a storyline-driven booking and environment tends to give the wrestlers the liberty to 'be themselves' and at the end, that has helped TONS of wrestlers truly find their gimmicks or what works for them. The Bucks would had never found their thing if it wasn't for the liberty of working for PWG, same with Joey Ryan and Candice. Steen, Cole, KOR, Roddy, Elgin, Hero, all had a chance to work slightly outside of what ROH wanted to encapsulate them in and it's those little things that help them get over from indie guy to indie darling, the thing that actually gets you signed with WWE.

(2) PWG DOES put people on the map, as awesome as the stories in EVOLVE or AIW or IWC, their power to put someone on the map doesn't compare with PWG. To begin with, PWG is THE west coast promotion, a whole side of the country that the east coast tends to ignore. They may not make new wrestlers, that's not their business, but when you're booked by PWG, people know they should be paying attention at you, that at least was the case from around '11 - '16, now more promotions have streaming so it's easier to get into stuff. PWG are the ones who really introduced Ospreay and Scurll and Tozawa (let's be honest, no one watches DG) into the US; PWG took guys like Trevor Lee, Biff Busick, and Bailey out of their local promotion obscurity. Guys like Ricochet, Cage, Joey Ryan, Willie Mack, The Bucks, they all flourished because of the work they've done for PWG.

And no, i actually don't think WWE has people watching AAA and NOAH and a ton of indies, they're like us, they hear buzz, then they pay attention. They started paying attention to PWG because it started to make buzz, same with PROGRESS, and ROH and ECW in their time. They rejected RIcochet and Kenny Omega until they started to make noise. WWE doesn't sign talent, they sign buzz and good looking people. Yeah, WWE hasn't signed anyone by PWG work alone (because they're not exclusive to begin with), but you're also crazy if you think that PWG's notoriety and buzz wasn't a big factor.

BOLA is next week, I assure you that after this weekend, Banks and WALTER will be in everyone's conversations and in WWE's radar, and NOT like months ago when they came with PROGRESS or EVOLVE.
Yes, it’s about making money, but as you, me, and many others have noted PWG could be making a lot more than they are by trying to run bigger buildings or doing iPPV or whatever, so it’s not about making money to them. They’ve been putting on 9+/10 matches for a lot more than the seven years they’ve been sing their current business model, and still almost all of the absolute highest rating shave been matches with some sort of storyline. I’m not saying that you need your own stories if you are trying to be a super-indy; I’m just saying you don’t deserve any credit for doing that.

Letting wrestlers “be themselves” is one of those things that sounds nice, but it’s not always a good idea. Given the choice between generic guy Lio Rush we got in PWG and ROH or the Lio Rush we got in CZW, I’m taking the latter every time, even though, the ROH/PWG Lio Rush is the one that seems more true to life to me. I don’t care if putting on a cat mask and not taking things seriously is the real Sami Callihan. I want the badass Sami Callihan. And pretty much everyone else is guys doing the same things they do elsewhere (except with unwanted comedy mixed in).

I disagree that PWG is the “west coast promotion.” It used to be, back in 2004-2011, but now it’s just a super-indy. The most recent - names to come out of the west coast indy scene (Cobb and Thatcher), aren’t even guys PWG had anything to do with putting on the map. They’ve got Joey, Candice, Cage, and the Bucks, and that’s it.
The days of PWG being the ones to bring someone to national indy prominence are over. The last guy they did it for was Trevor Lee, and I can’t even remember who they did it for before that. Biff Busick had won the CZW World Heavyweight Title and EVOLVE’s Style Battle before he ever set foot in PWG. Bailey had been a relatively pushed guy in CZW for a while before he was brought in to PWG (he won Best of the Best just a week after his second PWG show). You want to give them credit for Tozawa? I’ll agree with that. That is definitely when he became a bigger name and when he started to evolve beyond your standard Dragon Gate spot-monkey. I’ll give you all of the other names on that list, too, except for Ricochet (who did nothing in PWG that he wouldn’t have been able to do elsewhere), but with the caveat that aside from Cage and Mack, none of those guys grew up in the spotty, almost no-storylines PWG.
I’d be shocked if WWE hasn’t had people paying attention to NOAH since the moment they decided that they wanted big-name native Japanese stars, and they almost certainly have someone watching AAA and CMLL because they’ve always been on the hunt for that next Rey Mysterio Jr. And you’re crazy if you don’t think WWE has had their eyes on WALTER for a while. They signed freakin’ Axel Dieter Jr.! There is no way they did the research to sign Axel Dieter Jr. and didn’t see WALTER and start drooling over him.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14729
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by cero2k » Aug 28th, '17, 15:04

Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 28th, '17, 13:31
Yes, it’s about making money, but as you, me, and many others have noted PWG could be making a lot more than they are by trying to run bigger buildings or doing iPPV or whatever, so it’s not about making money to them. They’ve been putting on 9+/10 matches for a lot more than the seven years they’ve been sing their current business model, and still almost all of the absolute highest rating shave been matches with some sort of storyline. I’m not saying that you need your own stories if you are trying to be a super-indy; I’m just saying you don’t deserve any credit for doing that.

Letting wrestlers “be themselves” is one of those things that sounds nice, but it’s not always a good idea. Given the choice between generic guy Lio Rush we got in PWG and ROH or the Lio Rush we got in CZW, I’m taking the latter every time, even though, the ROH/PWG Lio Rush is the one that seems more true to life to me. I don’t care if putting on a cat mask and not taking things seriously is the real Sami Callihan. I want the badass Sami Callihan. And pretty much everyone else is guys doing the same things they do elsewhere (except with unwanted comedy mixed in).

I disagree that PWG is the “west coast promotion.” It used to be, back in 2004-2011, but now it’s just a super-indy. The most recent - names to come out of the west coast indy scene (Cobb and Thatcher), aren’t even guys PWG had anything to do with putting on the map. They’ve got Joey, Candice, Cage, and the Bucks, and that’s it.
I think PWG IS about making money, but they know perfectly what their deal is. Their tickets have been rising for the last 4-5 yrs, this year I bought 3 $85 tickets for BOLA, last time I was there they were $55. So the thing here is that PWG KNOWS that if they leave the Legion hall, they may lose not only the environment, but the fans, the cheap building (this is an Arena Mexico type thing, where the hall is secure for them and cheap, if not free at this point). When you wanna make money, being smart goes further than being greedy.

When it comes to whether we like some gimmicks or not is personal, I like LU Cage a lot more than Mr GMSI Cage, but I loved "Suck My Dick" Adam Cole a lot more than Adam Cole in ROH. It's not always going to be good, but it offers more aspects of a single dude, they get to try stuff, random teams that end up working and if they don't, they don't team up again next show. Not having stories help a lot sometimes, not everything has to be a story.

It's a west coast promotion in the sense that if you want to go watch a big indie show on this side of the country, you really have PWG only. there are other promotions, but nothing that will offer you the level of wrestling and big names. And like i said, they're not in the business of making names, they don't look for unknown people to claim as theirs, they're not exclusively trying to push west coast talent.
Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 28th, '17, 13:31
The days of PWG being the ones to bring someone to national indy prominence are over. The last guy they did it for was Trevor Lee, and I can’t even remember who they did it for before that. Biff Busick had won the CZW World Heavyweight Title and EVOLVE’s Style Battle before he ever set foot in PWG. Bailey had been a relatively pushed guy in CZW for a while before he was brought in to PWG (he won Best of the Best just a week after his second PWG show). You want to give them credit for Tozawa? I’ll agree with that. That is definitely when he became a bigger name and when he started to evolve beyond your standard Dragon Gate spot-monkey. I’ll give you all of the other names on that list, too, except for Ricochet (who did nothing in PWG that he wouldn’t have been able to do elsewhere), but with the caveat that aside from Cage and Mack, none of those guys grew up in the spotty, almost no-storylines PWG.
I’d be shocked if WWE hasn’t had people paying attention to NOAH since the moment they decided that they wanted big-name native Japanese stars, and they almost certainly have someone watching AAA and CMLL because they’ve always been on the hunt for that next Rey Mysterio Jr. And you’re crazy if you don’t think WWE has had their eyes on WALTER for a while. They signed freakin’ Axel Dieter Jr.! There is no way they did the research to sign Axel Dieter Jr. and didn’t see WALTER and start drooling over him.
I'm sorry, but winning stuff in CZW, or WWN, or Smash doesn't make you famous unless you're a super hardcore fan, no one watches those promotions, like I said, you're a indie wrestler, but not an indie darling or superstar. Gresham, Devon Moore, Masada, Matt Tremont have all had huge reigns of the CZW title, where are they? Drake Younger on the other hand came to PWG, boom, tons of fans love him now. I don't disagree that PWG's power has come down now that NJPW and PROGRESS have really taken the US so strongly in the last year, but the Battle of Los Angeles IS STILL the biggest tournament in the US. Look at all the BIG names in the indie scene today that haven't worked for NJPW, TNA, or WWE. They're either working for PWG or Lucha Underground, everyone else is still not a superstar, they're just indie wrestlers, good indie wrestlers, but not superstars.

yeah, WWE knows WALTER and Banks, but they signed Dieter and not WALTER, that is the thing
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18634
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 1st, '17, 10:13

cero2k wrote:
Aug 28th, '17, 15:04
Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 28th, '17, 13:31
Yes, it’s about making money, but as you, me, and many others have noted PWG could be making a lot more than they are by trying to run bigger buildings or doing iPPV or whatever, so it’s not about making money to them. They’ve been putting on 9+/10 matches for a lot more than the seven years they’ve been sing their current business model, and still almost all of the absolute highest rating shave been matches with some sort of storyline. I’m not saying that you need your own stories if you are trying to be a super-indy; I’m just saying you don’t deserve any credit for doing that.

Letting wrestlers “be themselves” is one of those things that sounds nice, but it’s not always a good idea. Given the choice between generic guy Lio Rush we got in PWG and ROH or the Lio Rush we got in CZW, I’m taking the latter every time, even though, the ROH/PWG Lio Rush is the one that seems more true to life to me. I don’t care if putting on a cat mask and not taking things seriously is the real Sami Callihan. I want the badass Sami Callihan. And pretty much everyone else is guys doing the same things they do elsewhere (except with unwanted comedy mixed in).

I disagree that PWG is the “west coast promotion.” It used to be, back in 2004-2011, but now it’s just a super-indy. The most recent - names to come out of the west coast indy scene (Cobb and Thatcher), aren’t even guys PWG had anything to do with putting on the map. They’ve got Joey, Candice, Cage, and the Bucks, and that’s it.
I think PWG IS about making money, but they know perfectly what their deal is. Their tickets have been rising for the last 4-5 yrs, this year I bought 3 $85 tickets for BOLA, last time I was there they were $55. So the thing here is that PWG KNOWS that if they leave the Legion hall, they may lose not only the environment, but the fans, the cheap building (this is an Arena Mexico type thing, where the hall is secure for them and cheap, if not free at this point). When you wanna make money, being smart goes further than being greedy.
Just about everyone has acknowledged that PWG could easily be making a lot more money with minimal effort. They have a hot product but they have never tried to run iPPV or a bigger building. If I had to guess, the increase in ticket prices have a lot more to do with offsetting the costs of the increased number of fly-ins, especially international guys like the Brits and Luchadores. PWG doesn't seem to be looking to actually grow and make money so much as they are happy with their art being what it is and standing pat. My fear for them is that perhaps there will come a point when such a strategy becomes untenable.
As for the Arena Mexico comparison, don't forget that CMLL owns the whole building, meaning that not only do they not pay rent to book their shows, but they also make all of the money on concessions and parking.
(Not sure if I ever published the piece where I came up with this idea, but I am baffled that ROH and PWG don't work more closely together in terms of scheduling, because they could basically split the trans for any fly-ins who would work the ROH show, and because both promotions have extremely heavy incentives to book around New Japan's schedule [and I'm sure there is going to be some other west coast promoter who would be happy to split some of the trans costs for the guys who PWG would like to use who can't work ROH like Ricochet, Zack, Riddle, Cobb, and Elgin.])
cero2k wrote:
Aug 28th, '17, 15:04
When it comes to whether we like some gimmicks or not is personal, I like LU Cage a lot more than Mr GMSI Cage, but I loved "Suck My Dick" Adam Cole a lot more than Adam Cole in ROH. It's not always going to be good, but it offers more aspects of a single dude, they get to try stuff, random teams that end up working and if they don't, they don't team up again next show. Not having stories help a lot sometimes, not everything has to be a story.
I think the bookers need to be willing to tell guys "no" because some things go too far, and the Sami Callihan cat thing is one example of that. I'd also disagree that teams that don't work get broken up and teams that do work don't get broken up. There are been tons of random teams that have meshed very well that were rarely used as units (African-American Wolves, Inner-City Machine Guns, etc.), whereas teams like the Chosen Bros. feel like wastes of the talent involved. I think you're giving them too much credit when a lot of what they do seems to be just throwing sh*t at the wall based on who is available.
cero2k wrote:
Aug 28th, '17, 15:04
It's a west coast promotion in the sense that if you want to go watch a big indie show on this side of the country, you really have PWG only. there are other promotions, but nothing that will offer you the level of wrestling and big names. And like i said, they're not in the business of making names, they don't look for unknown people to claim as theirs, they're not exclusively trying to push west coast talent.
They don't "make" east coast talent anymore, either, though. They've become a lazy super-indy, subsisting off of the work that others have done. I'm not saying there is anything morally wrong with that. I'm just saying that giving them credit a bunch of these guys getting signed or becoming big stars or whatever is highly unfair to the people actually doing the work.
cero2k wrote:
Aug 28th, '17, 15:04
Big Red Machine wrote:
Aug 28th, '17, 13:31
The days of PWG being the ones to bring someone to national indy prominence are over. The last guy they did it for was Trevor Lee, and I can’t even remember who they did it for before that. Biff Busick had won the CZW World Heavyweight Title and EVOLVE’s Style Battle before he ever set foot in PWG. Bailey had been a relatively pushed guy in CZW for a while before he was brought in to PWG (he won Best of the Best just a week after his second PWG show). You want to give them credit for Tozawa? I’ll agree with that. That is definitely when he became a bigger name and when he started to evolve beyond your standard Dragon Gate spot-monkey. I’ll give you all of the other names on that list, too, except for Ricochet (who did nothing in PWG that he wouldn’t have been able to do elsewhere), but with the caveat that aside from Cage and Mack, none of those guys grew up in the spotty, almost no-storylines PWG.
I’d be shocked if WWE hasn’t had people paying attention to NOAH since the moment they decided that they wanted big-name native Japanese stars, and they almost certainly have someone watching AAA and CMLL because they’ve always been on the hunt for that next Rey Mysterio Jr. And you’re crazy if you don’t think WWE has had their eyes on WALTER for a while. They signed freakin’ Axel Dieter Jr.! There is no way they did the research to sign Axel Dieter Jr. and didn’t see WALTER and start drooling over him.
I'm sorry, but winning stuff in CZW, or WWN, or Smash doesn't make you famous unless you're a super hardcore fan, no one watches those promotions, like I said, you're a indie wrestler, but not an indie darling or superstar. Gresham, Devon Moore, Masada, Matt Tremont have all had huge reigns of the CZW title, where are they? Drake Younger on the other hand came to PWG, boom, tons of fans love him now. I don't disagree that PWG's power has come down now that NJPW and PROGRESS have really taken the US so strongly in the last year, but the Battle of Los Angeles IS STILL the biggest tournament in the US. Look at all the BIG names in the indie scene today that haven't worked for NJPW, TNA, or WWE. They're either working for PWG or Lucha Underground, everyone else is still not a superstar, they're just indie wrestlers, good indie wrestlers, but not superstars.
SMASH? No. BUt I think the names of long-established indies will always continue to mean something until they basically stop running like IWA-MS did. I'm no fan of CZW, but being the CZW World Heavyweight Champion will always mean something on the indies so long as they continue to run regularly, because it means that someone who runs regularly has the confidence that you can carry his or her promotion. Drake Younger was a HUGE name in the deathmatch scene before he came to PWG. He certainly reinvented himself a bit there, but to discount his run in CZW is insulting. MASADA and Tremont are likewise big names in the deathmatch scene, and being the CZW World Heavyweight Champion helped establish them as being at the top of that particular mountain.
BOLA is quite overrated, and is only "the" big tournament of the year on the indy scene because of the self-inflicted booking wounds of ROH and CHIKARA. BOLA is a classic example of something getting too big and suffering because of it. I can't even remember the last time I didn't feel totally burned out well before the final round (although I have a hunch that it was 2013), and PWG's lack of storylines and attempts to "make" guys are a major reason why I can't even remember the last time that winning BOLA made someone feel like a bigger star to me. You might well have to go back to Omega in 2009 (you could argue Cole in 2012, but he was already the ROH TV Champion and had had his big heel run in CZW, and it really wasn't the BOLA win so much as it was kicking Steen in the nuts afterwards that felt like it elevated him). Just give it a year or two and 16 Carat Gold or WCPW's World Cup or some tournament that PROGRESS or RevPro do will become "the" big indy tournament of the year.
cero2k wrote:
Aug 28th, '17, 15:04
yeah, WWE knows WALTER and Banks, but they signed Dieter and not WALTER, that is the thing
Exactly. If they signed Dieter just based off of his work in wXw, a company that almost no one was watching until like last year's 16 Carat Gold, then they've got people watching everything. They'll never admit it, but they have people watching everything. If Axel Dieter Jr. can get signed by WWE without working for PROGRESS then going to PROGRESS is not going to suddenly make WWE "discover" WALTER because they clearly already know about him.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18634
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 1st, '17, 10:37

Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 3469
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54
Favorite Wrestler: Idk
Location: Ocean Springs,MS.

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 2nd, '17, 07:39

Why are y'all talking like this in the comedy thread?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 18634
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 9th, '17, 23:16




You've got to admire someone who, upon receiving a nice complement, decides that the best thing to do is to turn it into a penis joke. That's my type of person.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
TNA Victory Road 2008
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 14729
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by cero2k » Sep 10th, '17, 10:03

Big Red Machine wrote:
Sep 9th, '17, 23:16



You've got to admire someone who, upon receiving a nice complement, decides that the best thing to do is to turn it into a penis joke. That's my type of person.
no one puts over TK over more than Dahlia, that's what makes a strong Power Couple from the south pacific. She's a keeper
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest