BRM's thoughts on Guest Booker w/Dutch Mantel

Tell it to the world!!
Big Red Machine

BRM's thoughts on Guest Booker w/Dutch Mantel

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 4th, '11, 02:02

This wasn't good at all.

They got a lot of facts wrong when they were talking about the way that TNA actually did their booking on January 4th. They thought that Hogan started off the show, thought that either Team 3-D or Beer Money were the tag team champs (the Brits were) and got January 4th and March 8th mixed up a lot, thinking thought that RVD vs. Sting and Sting's heel turn happened on January 4th. They also thought that Flair was with AJ on January 4th. They thought that LAX were a team at the time.

Dutch's memory was particularly bad. He seemed to think that the MEM disbanded after Sacrifice. The way that he claimed to have pitched that was ignored was to have Kurt not give up leadership, and have AJ join the MEM and beat Sting up (basically the same thing that happened, but with AJ instead of Joe, and with no build-up of tension in the form of Angle's dissension). He started to criticize the wrestlers for "not wrestling for the fans" because they were "wrestling for the guys in the back, watching on the monitors,"... but his entire criticism was "Oh! Look at this! Look at that," then mockingly chanting "this is awesome" which is something that the fans say.

With all of this, they kept taking shots at the booking in WWE and TNA, which looks really bad when you can't even correctly remember what they did.

The worst part of all of this is that they barely did any booking at all. It was all BS. I usually wouldn't do this, but I will give away the card that Dutch books so that there is no reason at all that anyone would want to buy this DVD:

TNA Genesis:
An appearance by Kurt Angle
An appearance by Hogan
Team 3-D vs. Beer Money for #1 contendership for the Tag Team Titles
Roxxi & Taylor Wilde vs. Angelina and Velvet (Angelina wasn't with TNA at the time!)
Hamada vs. Kong
AJ (w/Flair) vs. RVD for the TNA World Title
LAX vs. MCMG for #1 contendership for the Tag Team Titles
"An X-division match"- Dutch puts no thought at all into who should be in it
Mr. Anderson vs. Matt Morgan (w/Mick Foley)
Desmonde Wolfe vs. someone

If I missed something or messed something up, that is because IT WAS ONLY MENTIONED ONCE. In a DVD that is advertised as "we'll see what HE would have done on January 4th and where he would have taken the company had he still been booking," mentioning angles for your first PPV after you take over ONLY ONCE is just ludicrous. We barely found out anything that Dutch had in store. He threw out some vague ideas like "Put Abyss w/James Mitchell, build him up, then on January 4th, have Hogan confront them. Then build to a match between Hogan and Abyss. I don't know when. Maybe Lockdown, or Bound For Glory, or maybe that Summer show. What's it called? Oh yeah. Slammiversary."

There was almost NOTHING of substance on this DVD. No one should ever buy it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Re: BRM's thoughts on Guest Booker w/Dutch Mantel

Post by Lynas » Jan 4th, '11, 02:14

This sounds like a shocking crock of shit.

Dutch Mantell you're a freakin' idiot.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 4th, '11, 02:22

Lynas wrote:This sounds like a shocking crock of s**t.

Dutch Mantell you're a freakin' idiot.
That's exactly it. My experience with the Guest Booker series is that it entirely dependent on the booker. If he is prepared (Gabe, Sullivan, Cornette, Gange), it will be a good DVD, even if you don't care for some of the stuff he is actually booking. The less prepared the booker is, the worse the DVD is. There is just such a huge difference. Compare this, where Dutch barely knew who was on the roster or who the champs were at the time, to Gabe, who came in with a notebook of notes, and knew exactly what he was going to do. One will make a good DVD, one won't. Even Raven's Guest Booker was better than Dutch's, and Raven kept changing his mind, because he only came in with a vague idea of what he wanted to do.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Post by Lynas » Jan 4th, '11, 02:50

It does sound like it'd be worth watching just to see him bumble his way through it... but I certainly wouldn't pay for the privelege.

I've seen Cornette's...

I've never seen any others though... recommendations for the best to watch?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 4th, '11, 04:08

Lynas wrote:It does sound like it'd be worth watching just to see him bumble his way through it... but I certainly wouldn't pay for the privelege.

I've seen Cornette's...

I've never seen any others though... recommendations for the best to watch?
Gabe Sapolsky (Rebooking the new ECW from the first TV show until December to Dismember)

Kevin Sullivan (booking WWE's nation expansion in 1984 without Hogan).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation