One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Tell it to the world!!
kirbs2002

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Post by kirbs2002 » Dec 30th, '10, 10:50

TAKEN FROM BLEACHERREPORT.COM

If you look at it from a glance, it seemed like TNA had a great year in 2010. They had some huge names and stars come to their company.

People like Hulk Hogan, Jeff Hardy, Ric Flair, Mr. Anderson and Eric Bischoff. Those are some big names.

But there was plenty wrong with TNA in 2010, as well. Many of the concepts that older TNA fans loved were being thrown to the wayside.

Here are some of the mistakes that TNA hopefully doesn't repeat in 2011.

1. Misusing Homegrown Talent

TNA made its name on guys like Samoa Joe and Amazing Red. Not your typical wrestlers, but still put on great matches.

And yet with this new TNA era, Joe has been jobbing to Jeff Jarrett and Amazing Red is being squashed by Bubba Ray Dudley.

I'm surprised Joe re-signed with TNA. Hopefully that is a sign that they will use him and others that made them popular better.

2. EV 2.0

When the WWE went through with this idea in 2006 at ECW One Night Stand then again with the ECW Originals, the idea was a success.

It was nice to see the old ECW guys put on one final run.

TNA killed it this year though, especially with their Hardcore Justice. These guys are so old and it was embarrassing trying to watch them relive their glory days.

We better not see anything remotely close to this in 2011.

3. The Fall of AJ Styles

The man that has been the face of TNA for the past 5 years had a pretty bad 2010 after losing the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.

Creative put him into Fourtune with Ric Flair and he has been nothing more than a lackey. He was the Television Champion, but still was nowhere near the main event scene.

It seems like he will turn face and leave Fourtune after Genesis though, so hopefully he gets back on track.

4. Releasing Christopher Daniels

When the year began, Daniels was in a great spot in TNA. But a lot can change quickly in the wrestling business, especially when there are changes behind the scenes.

Bischoff and Hogan came in and Daniels was on his way out in March when he was released. He didn't even ask for his release.

For 8 years, Daniels was one of the best in-ring performers in TNA and the fans were upset when he left.

He may be 39, but he still could have been valuable, specifically in the X Division.

5. Monday Night Wars: Part 2

TNA was doing very well and they were on the right track before they decided to take their show live on Monday Nights in an effort to compete with WWE RAW.

After a couple of months, TNA realized they couldn't compete with the WWE just yet and were forced to move back to Thursday nights.

This move made the company look pretty bad, as it became obvious they were not on the same level as WWE and many casual fans thought the company was a joke.

6. Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan STILL Wrestling

When Hogan and Flair announced they would be coming to TNA, I was happy for the potential big name draw but sad because I knew what would happen.

We would get to watch 2 guys who should have retired years ago in the ring again. And thats not a good thing.

Not only did it happen, it showcased so much blood I thought the two were going to bleed to death.

Maybe Hogan's back surgery was a blessing in disguise, so we don't have to watch these two duke it out anymore.

7. Death of the X Division

The X Division was the staple of TNA. Exciting matches with great performers and of course the great Ultimate X matches.

In 2010, the X Division took a nose dive.

The title was given to Jersey Shore. Guys like Christopher Daniels were released and others like Samoa Joe and Brian Kendrick are being misused.

Bring back the X Division! Its what brought you so many fans, so don't kill it off

8. Being Way Too Anti-WWE

It seems like everything the WWE has done during the PG Era, TNA did the exact opposite to try and become that alternative choice for wrestling fans. But they took it too far.

No blood, well we'll have guys look like they are bleeding to death.

No chair shots to the head, well we'll have an entire angle based on concussions from chair shots to the head.

No breaking kayfabe, well we'll use terms like "marks" and "gimmicks" openly.

It wasn't a good idea in 2010, so I hope we've seen the last of it.

9. Terrible Gimmicks

A Jersey Shore gimmick? I thought TNA was supposed to be sports entertainment, not cheap MTV imitations. The fist pumping, the accents, and Cookie. Its all ridiculous.

And Brian Kendrick as a monk appearing in weird promos every week? What the hell was that coffee shop scene last week? I thought this guy was going to be a great part of the X Division but I guess not.

Don't even get me started on Orlando Jordan. The guy has so much talent and has the creepiest gimmick since Goldust.

Please stop these horrendous gimmicks TNA.

10. ANOTHER Takeover Angle

We all know the nWo was a huge success in WCW. Unfortunately, TNA is trying to recapture lightning in a bottle with Immortal.

It has shocking at first, mainly because of the Jeff Hardy heel turn.

It died down quick though, because we've all seen it before. Hogan and Bischoff need to forget their WCW success and focus on other areas to improve TNA.
Reality TV is faker than "fake" wrestling!

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Post by cero2k » Dec 30th, '10, 11:09

I agree with all points except 2

(1) I think that bringing the trash wearing hardcore fighting ECW guys to feud with the technical suit wearing young guys was a great idea, it help cement Fourtune as a force to be reckon with. it all went to hell when they joined inmortal, but the idea of fortune as great, especially when they took out every EV2 guy out.

(2) I think Jersey Shore is a great gimmick, those kind of people actually exists, and it was a funny way of showing them off, and cookie was excellent. I have no problem with Robbie wining the X Title soo soon, my problem is that they didn't continue the push.

Big Red Machine

Re: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 30th, '10, 21:42

The only point I disagree with is Shore. It is a great gimmick. I don't think Robbie should have gotten pushed so hard, but I do think it is a great gimmick. This is one instance (IMO) of the fans in the Impact Zone not giving something a chance.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3