Trying to burn the American Flag in Wrestling; Gone Too Far?

Tell it to the world!!
womenwrestlerfan
Future Endeavored

Trying to burn the American Flag in Wrestling; Gone Too Far?

Post by womenwrestlerfan » Dec 29th, '10, 01:45

Hey guys, I want to talk about something that may be consider a bit too much or controversial in Professional Wrestling:

Wrestlers trying to burn the American Flag

Now, back in 1990-1991 Sgt. Slaughter won the WWE World Heavyweight Championship when he def. The Ultimate Warrior, but when he turned heel, Slaughter became more of an Anti-American.

During an interview, Sgt. Slaughter said that when he turned heel, Vince McMahon wanted him to burn the American Flag, but Slaughter said no.

But when Hogan took the World Title from him @ Wrestlemania VII, Slaughter turned good and he said that he wanted his country back and became a TRUE American once again.

Now, there were others who tried to burn the American Flag as well:

In November 1999 on WCW Monday Nitro, the night after Mayhem

Shane Douglas tried to burn the American Flag after losing a match to Chris Benoit, but then, when Bret Hart who won the World Title @ Mayhem came to Benoit's Rescue, he prevented it from ever happening.

and @ the end, Benoit and Bret Hart both waved the Canadian Flag as well as the American Flag

Now in the WWE on RAW on The NEW TNN, the night after Summerslam in August of 2002, Test tried to burn the American Flag, but thankfully, The Dudleys and Kane came to the rescue and put an end to Test and The Un-Americans plans to burn the American Flag.

Now, this brings me to TNA, now, I am a fan of TNA, but when iMPACT! finally went Primetime on SPIKE TV in November of 2006, they had Konnan and LAX members Homicide and Hernandez trying to burn the American Flag for representing racism and hatred towards the Latino Nation.

However, LAX was unsuccessful when they tried to burn not only the American Flag, but also Petey Williams, but thank GOD that the Police Sirens came and LAX made a clean getaway, but Christy Hemme checked on Petey Williams and The Canadian Destroyer prevented that from ever happening.

and now, here's my question to all of you:

Do you think that trying to burn the American Flag in Professional Wrestling is a bit too much?

That's the Question!

Please Debate on this.

badnewzxl

Re: Trying to burn the American Flag in Wrestling; Gone Too

Post by badnewzxl » Dec 29th, '10, 02:23

it's a cheap way to get heat, but it's totally legal in the US. There's nothing wrong with it. Didn't the Hart Foundation spit on the American Flag on RAW back when Brett was feuding with the Patriot?

Big Red Machine

Re: Trying to burn the American Flag in Wrestling; Gone Too

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 29th, '10, 07:26

badnewzxl wrote:it's a cheap way to get heat, but it's totally legal in the US. There's nothing wrong with it.
While I agree with Badnewz in theory (and I think that flag burning should be 100% legal), I think that burning a flag is not something that should be done lightly. It is THE ULTIMATE condemnation of a country by burning that which it proudly waves at every ceremony, and which its soldiers draw inspiration form as they go into battle. That is not something that should ever be done lightly, so, while teasing doing it is okay in wrestling IF IT FITS THE ANGLE, ACTUALLY doing it is not.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3