Tommy Dreamer was going to kill Heyman and commit suicide at WM17

Tell it to the world!!
cero2k
Site Admin

Tommy Dreamer was going to kill Heyman and commit suicide at WM17

Post by cero2k » Jun 27th, '19, 14:49

Posting this here because I don't really know what to make of it.

source: https://nypost.com/2019/06/27/hardcore- ... reddit.com

Wrestling legend Tommy Dreamer had an incredibly dark past, but he was saved by one phone call.

Dreamer recently opened up about a troubling period in his life on his “House of Hardcore” podcast, a period that he only managed to escape because of announcing icon Jim Ross.

Dreamer was supposed to make his WWE debut during the company’s Tables, Ladders and Chairs match at WrestleMania X-7 in 2001, but plans changed and Dreamer became the odd man out. The triple-threat match featured Edge and Christian vs. The Dudley Boyz vs. The Hardy Boyz.

That was nearly the tipping point in the darkest stage of his life: Extreme Championship Wrestling, which was run by Paul Heyman, had just folded and Dreamer was back living with his parents.

As he spiraled into depression, Dreamer intended to take advantage of Texas’ lax gun laws to jump the rail at that WrestleMania in Houston, kill Heyman, who was announcing the show, and then kill himself.

“I remember I did a show there, and I saw a sign that said, ‘Guns Welcome,’ and I was in Houston,” Dreamer said, according to Uproxx. “I did an indie show, and I said, ‘What is this?’ I’m from New York, what do you mean, ‘Guns Welcome’? And they said, ‘Oh, you are allowed to bring a firearm into the venue.’ I was across the street from the Astrodome. When I tell you it resonated in my head so, so much.

“That I’ll tell you what I wanted to do. It’s sick that I think this. At WrestleMania, I was gonna hop the rail and I was gonna whack Paul E. in the back of the head right at the announce table, then I was gonna whack myself. The ultimate martyr, I was gonna hit my pose crack, boom, pull the trigger. Because I was that insane. Don’t know if I would have went through with it, but that’s what I was thinking about every day. I was like, ‘I will go down in history.’ Pop, boom. First they’d think it was an angle until I shot him. I was so severely depressed and so mental with rage, I needed help.”

A well-timed phone call from Ross helped save Dreamer from the terrifying plan.

“Randomly I get a phone call from a number I didn’t know … I didn’t pick up,” said Dreamer, who now owns the House of Hardcore promotion. “I remember having these thoughts, and it was bad. I had a gun, I was psssh, man. Could you think about the horribleness that I would have done for my legacy? I would have ruined WrestleMania, which I love, WrestleMania. For everybody. These thoughts were so, so crazed in my head. How dare that person, he screwed my parents over and I come from a mobster mentality. In my head I was like, ‘I would become infamous,’ which is famous for the wrong reason. I’m glad I didn’t do it.

“But when that phone call came from Jim Ross. Again, just said leave a message. It said, ‘Hey Tommy, it’s Jim Ross, just want to let you know we are still thinking about you, we are gonna get it done, just got to hang tight. Thank you.’”

Ross’ words helped Dreamer through his struggles, and a few years later, Dreamer would go on to hold the WWE Hardcore Championship.

“I am so happy I didn’t do it, I am so happy that I did get that phone call, from someone who was a stranger, I barely knew the guy,” Dreamer said. “There was another day, there have been a lot of other days.”

Big Red Machine

Re: Tommy Dreamer was going to kill Heyman and commit suicide at WM17

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 27th, '19, 18:12

This is quite disturbing.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jun 28th, '19, 07:07

He thought about it, but he didn't do it... so why talk about it!? Lol

Some things you should probably keep to yourself, Tommy...

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jun 28th, '19, 09:31

Bob-O wrote: Jun 28th, '19, 07:07 He thought about it, but he didn't do it... so why talk about it!? Lol

I disagree. It's important to talk about your dark moments, especially if you have a platform, so that people who may be in a similar place know they aren't alone, and people who can help can look out for lonely people.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jun 28th, '19, 21:58

NWK2000 wrote: Jun 28th, '19, 09:31
Bob-O wrote: Jun 28th, '19, 07:07 He thought about it, but he didn't do it... so why talk about it!? Lol

I disagree. It's important to talk about your dark moments, especially if you have a platform, so that people who may be in a similar place know they aren't alone, and people who can help can look out for lonely people.
This, 100%. It's SO IMPORTANT to discuss mental health that the idea that people need to keep it to themselves is absolutely pathogenic.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jun 29th, '19, 09:12

Serujuunin wrote: Jun 28th, '19, 21:58
NWK2000 wrote: Jun 28th, '19, 09:31

This, 100%. It's SO IMPORTANT to discuss mental health that the idea that people need to keep it to themselves is absolutely pathogenic.
I get it, and I'm not speaking in general. Mental health is a very real thing and should be discussed. Absolutely 100%!

However, what I'm hearing in this scenario, is "I had a serious plan to murder my old boss and kill myself on PPV in front of 70,000 men, women, and children. But, my old boss's company wound up hiring me too, so I decided not to do that. Glad I didn't, lol! Phew!"

I'm saying, Tommy should probably have kept THAT to himself. That's not helping anyone, that's not even closure on his mental health issues, he just got a job. He didn't do anything here but tell a very unsettling story.

True story, when I was 15 or 16 I almost drank toilet bowl cleaner once because I thought it smelled really good... like gum. I had the bottle up to my lips and everything, but then the phone rang ~just~ before I took a drink and I answered it instead. After the phone call, I realized how stupid drinking toilet bowl cleaner would be, and I never thought about it again. My story is true, but I think we can all agree that it's something I should keep to myself.

Kurt Angle, Jake Roberts, Scott Hall... share away, boys! Tommy's sending a Dynamite Kid vibe here, for the sake of telling a story. I don't respect him more, I don't feel bad for him, nor am I inspired by his story.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jul 1st, '19, 11:38

Bob-O wrote: Jun 29th, '19, 09:12
However, what I'm hearing in this scenario, is "I had a serious plan to murder my old boss and kill myself on PPV in front of 70,000 men, women, and children. But, my old boss's company wound up hiring me too, so I decided not to do that. Glad I didn't, lol! Phew!"
When you put it like that.... I agree

True story, when I was 15 or 16 I almost drank toilet bowl cleaner once because I thought it smelled really good... like gum. I had the bottle up to my lips and everything, but then the phone rang ~just~ before I took a drink and I answered it instead. After the phone call, I realized how stupid drinking toilet bowl cleaner would be, and I never thought about it again. My story is true, but I think we can all agree that it's something I should keep to myself.
Actually no that's great. I love "Way too old to be doing this shit" stories Like when my brother (13) and I (17) played with one of those fireplace blower things and made our fire alarm go off at one in the morning, waking up our dad.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 1st, '19, 13:55

I think it's important to talk about mental health, but maybe just not go into detail about your murder/suicide plans?