Who Are Some Wrestlers Sabotaged By Their Names

Tell it to the world!!
Bob-O

Who Are Some Wrestlers Sabotaged By Their Names

Post by Bob-O » Jun 20th, '19, 10:33

Vince has been on a kick of name reduction or "Main Roster Tax", but with AEW on the horizon it seems WWE is back to their random name generator for talent. Looking back, who are some guys you think could have gone further without the re-branding?

For example, despite it being his own creation, I think Mike Mizanin could have reached elite status, while "The Miz" peaked with that short title run.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Who Are Some Wrestlers Sabotaged By Their Names

Post by cero2k » Jun 20th, '19, 11:25

right off the bat, I could never see anyone with names like Fandango, No Way Jose, or Mojo Rawley be world champions ever

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 20th, '19, 18:45

cero2k wrote: Jun 20th, '19, 11:25 right off the bat, I could never see anyone with names like Fandango, No Way Jose, or Mojo Rawley be world champions ever
Yup.

Juice Robinson and Dolph Ziggler seemed to have miraculously escaped a similar fate.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 20th, '19, 18:57

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 20th, '19, 18:45
cero2k wrote: Jun 20th, '19, 11:25 right off the bat, I could never see anyone with names like Fandango, No Way Jose, or Mojo Rawley be world champions ever
Yup.

Juice Robinson and Dolph Ziggler seemed to have miraculously escaped a similar fate.
I fought about them too, but they seemed to have overcome that stigma. For that matter, a lot of the one name people in WWE feel the same, but it can be overcome, i'm talking of guys like Big E, Elias, Andrade, or Cesaro.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jun 21st, '19, 00:19

cero2k wrote: Jun 20th, '19, 18:57
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 20th, '19, 18:45
Yup.

I fought about them too, but they seemed to have overcome that stigma. For that matter, a lot of the one name people in WWE feel the same, but it can be overcome, i'm talking of guys like Big E, Elias, Andrade, or Cesaro.
Three out of the four of these don't really bother me, but for some reason, Andrade's drives me MENTAL and I can't say why.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jun 21st, '19, 08:16

I don't know why nobody brings this up, but Taka Michinoku. Considering he debuted in Michinoku Pro, that would be like if someone came from the Performance Center named "Tim Entertainment" and he proceeded to use that as a ring name for 20 years and nobody batted an eye
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 21st, '19, 09:37

"DH Smith" probably didn't help much...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 21st, '19, 09:42

Maybe "EC3" is why he suddenly went so far downhill so fast...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 21st, '19, 11:02

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 21st, '19, 09:42 Maybe "EC3" is why he suddenly went so far downhill so fast...
they've could have easily called him Ethan Carter III, but the rumor is that he got buried because he couldn't get Dean Ambrose booed in a house show

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jun 21st, '19, 11:34

cero2k wrote: Jun 21st, '19, 11:02
KILLdozer wrote: Jun 21st, '19, 09:42 Maybe "EC3" is why he suddenly went so far downhill so fast...
they've could have easily called him Ethan Carter III, but the rumor is that he got buried because he couldn't get Dean Ambrose booed in a house show
I've ranted about that before. I've also come to conclusion that he needs to be a rich, pompous asshole at the top of the company like he was in TNA, otherwise it just betrays the fact that he's average at best
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 21st, '19, 11:41

NWK2000 wrote: Jun 21st, '19, 11:34
cero2k wrote: Jun 21st, '19, 11:02
I've ranted about that before. I've also come to conclusion that he needs to be a rich, pompous asshole at the top of the company like he was in TNA, otherwise it just betrays the fact that he's average at best
Doesn't help when you DON'T actually get "VICTORY. AFTER VICTORY. AFTER VICTORY. AFTER VICTORY."...either...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 21st, '19, 12:05

exactly, they don't even need to refer to TNA or Dixie at all. Make him the MJF of NXT and that's it. Make him a stooge of Shane because they're friends from the private golf club or something.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 21st, '19, 14:55

cero2k wrote: Jun 21st, '19, 12:05
exactly, they don't even need to refer to TNA or Dixie at all. Make him the MJF of NXT and that's it. Make him a stooge of Shane because they're friends from the private golf club or something.
Or like the new Jbl...some kind of top of the line rich guy...except without that cowboy shit mixed in...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 21st, '19, 16:00

He can be upper-midcard, but I'll agree that he needs to be something of a viable threat.
cero2k wrote: Jun 21st, '19, 12:05 exactly, they don't even need to refer to TNA or Dixie at all. Make him the MJF of NXT and that's it. Make him a stooge of Shane because they're friends from the private golf club or something.
An excellent idea.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jun 23rd, '19, 16:20

cero2k wrote: Jun 21st, '19, 12:05
These guys...

But with upside! I love it!