Thought Provoking Reddit Post: Does WM35 Represent A Changing Era?

Tell it to the world!!
Post Reply
User avatar
Bob-O
Posts: 3324
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 06:06
Favorite Wrestler: Marty Scurll
Location: Erie, Pa
Contact:

Thought Provoking Reddit Post: Does WM35 Represent A Changing Era?

Post by Bob-O » Mar 26th, '19, 19:26

Beyond the obvious stuff, Women in the Main Event, Kurt Angle Retiring, AEW blah blah blah, this got me thinking about EVERYTHING that's going on right now. While the build has I think agreeably been underwhelming, this could very well be a show looked back upon as not only a turning point for WWE, but for the industry as a whole. There is SO MUCH going on right now, and I don't think the potential of it all is fully understood. This Wrestlemania WILL BE a landmark one regardless, it's going to be "the one the girls main evented" or to be fair, "the FIRST one the girls main evented" forever. People will remember that. What else are they going to remember?



Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23845
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: Thought Provoking Reddit Post: Does WM35 Represent A Changing Era?

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 26th, '19, 21:14

I disagree with the "WWE vs. TNA" part of the AJ/Orton thing (it's more non-WWE wrestling in general- everything from the indies to TNA to ROH to New Japan), but on the whole I don't disagree with the idea that this represents a landmark moment, but I don't think it was in any way intentional on WWE's part. If Taker was willing to come back, they'd have used him. If Cena was available they'd have used him, too. If Kofi hadn't caught fire or Becky hadn't become as big as she did, those matches don't happen, and I don't think the women main event. If Roman doesn't get cancer then Brock isn't back in a meaningful way for Seth to be the on to slay "instead" of Roman.
A lot of threads do feel like they're ending, yes, but it is purely as a result of the random chance of history rather than any concerted subtle effort on the part of WWE, outside forces in the industry, or anything else. In hindsight, SummerSlam 2002 has a similar feeling to it when you look at the state of things before it and after it


I also see absolutely no evidence for these claims about any sort of change surrounding NXT.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18848
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: Thought Provoking Reddit Post: Does WM35 Represent A Changing Era?

Post by cero2k » Mar 27th, '19, 08:23

it's an interesting point in history for sure, but none of it falls on booking other than WWE had Ronda Rousey to main event WM, because let's face it, without her, there is no way Becky and Charlotte main event WM. Like Red said, a lot of the stuff is 'being in the right place at the right time' shots, and I wouldn't call Batista vs Hunter as the closing of an era, more as old men want WM money, like we've seen the last 10 years.

to me the things that are making a big chance is stuff like WWE going to FOX, AEW and the nature of their contracts, NJPW starting their G1 Climax in the US, all the inter-promotion relations we're seeing with the top promotions in the world, and likewise, all the indies that have bent the knee to WWE.

User avatar
Bob-O
Posts: 3324
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 06:06
Favorite Wrestler: Marty Scurll
Location: Erie, Pa
Contact:

Re: Thought Provoking Reddit Post: Does WM35 Represent A Changing Era?

Post by Bob-O » Mar 28th, '19, 07:34

Big Red Machine wrote:
Mar 26th, '19, 21:14
I also see absolutely no evidence for these claims about any sort of change surrounding NXT.
I'll agree it's not really fair to point out NXT changing, because it's ALWAYS changing... that's it's 'thing', and it's what makes it so endearing. I think he's referring to NXT moving on from it's PWG faze, as in there aren't any big name indy guys left to bring in. Moving forward, the NXT landscape stands to begin looking a lot more like developmental with less polished guys coming in the door. There isn't anyone like left who's going to be holding the title 3 months into their contract. Not a bad thing, just something different.
Big Red Machine wrote:
Mar 26th, '19, 21:14
I don't think it was in any way intentional on WWE's part. If Taker was willing to come back, they'd have used him. If Cena was available they'd have used him, too. If Kofi hadn't caught fire or Becky hadn't become as big as she did, those matches don't happen, and I don't think the women main event. If Roman doesn't get cancer then Brock isn't back in a meaningful way for Seth to be the on to slay "instead" of Roman.
Nobody's saying WWE is pulling the strings, just that 2019 stands to be a dot on the timeline. Taker WASN'T willing to come back. Cena ISN'T available. Kofi and Becky DID catch fire. Roman DID get cancer. All of these things happened and stand to be very significant to the industry whether WWE chooses to adapt to them.
cero2k wrote:
Mar 27th, '19, 08:23
to me the things that are making a big chance is stuff like WWE going to FOX, AEW and the nature of their contracts, NJPW starting their G1 Climax in the US, all the inter-promotion relations we're seeing with the top promotions in the world, and likewise, all the indies that have bent the knee to WWE.
All of these things.

While it's been going on for some time, I believe this could also be the landmark looked upon as Raw's breaking point. I've NEVER seen this many people upset with the Monday Night product.
Image

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18848
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: Thought Provoking Reddit Post: Does WM35 Represent A Changing Era?

Post by cero2k » Mar 28th, '19, 08:27

Bob-O wrote:
Mar 28th, '19, 07:34
Taker WASN'T willing to come back. Cena ISN'T available.
from what i've heard. Taker isn't doing WM because she's doing Saudi Arabia and he likely can't take two matches so close to each other, but him and Cena I still expect to see in WM one way or another.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23845
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: Thought Provoking Reddit Post: Does WM35 Represent A Changing Era?

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 28th, '19, 08:53

Bob-O wrote:
Mar 28th, '19, 07:34
Big Red Machine wrote:
Mar 26th, '19, 21:14
I also see absolutely no evidence for these claims about any sort of change surrounding NXT.
I'll agree it's not really fair to point out NXT changing, because it's ALWAYS changing... that's it's 'thing', and it's what makes it so endearing. I think he's referring to NXT moving on from it's PWG faze, as in there aren't any big name indy guys left to bring in. Moving forward, the NXT landscape stands to begin looking a lot more like developmental with less polished guys coming in the door. There isn't anyone like left who's going to be holding the title 3 months into their contract. Not a bad thing, just something different.
There are definitely big indy/non-WWE names left. The Briscoes, Eddie Edwards, Christopher Daniels, Pentagon Jr., Fenix, Zack Sabre Jr., Jeff Cobb, Will Ospreay, Marty Scurll, JoMo, Taya, Tessa Blanchard, Eddie Kingston, Chuck Taylor, etc.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 5695
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54
Favorite Wrestler: Idk
Location: Ocean Springs,MS.

Re: Thought Provoking Reddit Post: Does WM35 Represent A Changing Era?

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 28th, '19, 08:57

Big Red Machine wrote:
Mar 28th, '19, 08:53
Bob-O wrote:
Mar 28th, '19, 07:34
Big Red Machine wrote:
Mar 26th, '19, 21:14
I also see absolutely no evidence for these claims about any sort of change surrounding NXT.
I'll agree it's not really fair to point out NXT changing, because it's ALWAYS changing... that's it's 'thing', and it's what makes it so endearing. I think he's referring to NXT moving on from it's PWG faze, as in there aren't any big name indy guys left to bring in. Moving forward, the NXT landscape stands to begin looking a lot more like developmental with less polished guys coming in the door. There isn't anyone like left who's going to be holding the title 3 months into their contract. Not a bad thing, just something different.
There are definitely big indy/non-WWE names left. The Briscoes, Eddie Edwards, Christopher Daniels, Pentagon Jr., Fenix, Zack Sabre Jr., Jeff Cobb, Will Ospreay, Marty Scurll, JoMo, Taya, Tessa Blanchard, Eddie Kingston, Chuck Taylor, etc.
Brian Cage...Mil Muertes...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 5695
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54
Favorite Wrestler: Idk
Location: Ocean Springs,MS.

Re: Thought Provoking Reddit Post: Does WM35 Represent A Changing Era?

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 28th, '19, 09:08

Before anyone comes in and says "they obviously wouldn't know how to use ANY of those guys on the main roster anyway"...

I think I've figured it out-it's not about that.

The main roster....garbage pool of guys that aren't used properly or at all...even if their champion...is down to ONLY CERTAIN PEOPLE MATTERING/doing things however they want, regardless of fan consequence/reaction.

If you're not a top guy in a top angle who gives a shit about you ?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18848
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: Thought Provoking Reddit Post: Does WM35 Represent A Changing Era?

Post by cero2k » Mar 28th, '19, 09:10

Big Red Machine wrote:
Mar 28th, '19, 08:53
Bob-O wrote:
Mar 28th, '19, 07:34
Big Red Machine wrote:
Mar 26th, '19, 21:14
I also see absolutely no evidence for these claims about any sort of change surrounding NXT.
I'll agree it's not really fair to point out NXT changing, because it's ALWAYS changing... that's it's 'thing', and it's what makes it so endearing. I think he's referring to NXT moving on from it's PWG faze, as in there aren't any big name indy guys left to bring in. Moving forward, the NXT landscape stands to begin looking a lot more like developmental with less polished guys coming in the door. There isn't anyone like left who's going to be holding the title 3 months into their contract. Not a bad thing, just something different.
There are definitely big indy/non-WWE names left. The Briscoes, Eddie Edwards, Christopher Daniels, Pentagon Jr., Fenix, Zack Sabre Jr., Jeff Cobb, Will Ospreay, Marty Scurll, JoMo, Taya, Tessa Blanchard, Eddie Kingston, Chuck Taylor, etc.
i think the PWG phase thing refers more to the show having a small cult-fanbase at full sail where everyone gets over because the fans accept anyone, especially if there is the slightest recognition factor. I guess the change would be NXT growing and going out more and more out of Florida

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 5695
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54
Favorite Wrestler: Idk
Location: Ocean Springs,MS.

Re: Thought Provoking Reddit Post: Does WM35 Represent A Changing Era?

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 28th, '19, 09:51

cero2k wrote:
Mar 28th, '19, 09:10
Big Red Machine wrote:
Mar 28th, '19, 08:53
Bob-O wrote:
Mar 28th, '19, 07:34

I'll agree it's not really fair to point out NXT changing, because it's ALWAYS changing... that's it's 'thing', and it's what makes it so endearing. I think he's referring to NXT moving on from it's PWG faze, as in there aren't any big name indy guys left to bring in. Moving forward, the NXT landscape stands to begin looking a lot more like developmental with less polished guys coming in the door. There isn't anyone like left who's going to be holding the title 3 months into their contract. Not a bad thing, just something different.
There are definitely big indy/non-WWE names left. The Briscoes, Eddie Edwards, Christopher Daniels, Pentagon Jr., Fenix, Zack Sabre Jr., Jeff Cobb, Will Ospreay, Marty Scurll, JoMo, Taya, Tessa Blanchard, Eddie Kingston, Chuck Taylor, etc.
i think the PWG phase thing refers more to the show having a small cult-fanbase at full sail "where everyone gets over because the fans accept anyone", especially if there is the slightest recognition factor. I guess the change would be NXT growing and going out more and more out of Florida
Bugenhagen...Bugenhager...Guggenheim...

Whatever his name is...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests