A list of reasons why the IWC needs to calm the (censored) down about the Becky storyline

Tell it to the world!!
Big Red Machine

Re: A list of reasons why the IWC needs to calm the (censored) down about the Becky storyline

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 12th, '19, 17:56

KILLdozer wrote: Feb 12th, '19, 16:08
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 12th, '19, 14:49
KILLdozer wrote: Feb 12th, '19, 11:48

Probably because people just don't think they're gonna push him all the way at this point anymore. I know you can say "Daniel Bryan years ago and Becky Lynch right now, and no matter what and how much...if they want to see someone on top they won't stop cheering and pushing for it..."

But I think if that's the case even the fans have given up. I don't like it at all but I don't think he's "top guy material" for them.

At least not right now.
This. He's a gigantic, North Carolinian Hirooki Goto.
Alright...what the heck does this mean? You know I don't watch that stuff lol.
It means go read http://www.thewrestlingrevolution.com/r ... hp?id=2502
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: A list of reasons why the IWC needs to calm the (censored) down about the Becky storyline

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 13th, '19, 09:22

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 12th, '19, 16:29
NWK2000 wrote: Feb 12th, '19, 15:00
Maybe it's a perspective issue and I apologize in advance if this bit seems a little condescending, but I think what you understand is the story they're trying to tell here (or perhaps the story you want them to be telling, as I don't think that WWE for one moment thinks Ronda is in any way a heel here) rather than the story they actually are telling. It's something I see in the treatment of both Delirious and Gedo's booking, where people have seen enough wrestling to understand what the story is supposed to be and thus are willing to overlook the problematic details that this version of the telling of the story so flawed. In other words, you're making the mistake of giving them credit for being as smart as you are even though they're not.
Not condescending at all. It is a perspective issue. Stories people tell make sense to viewers (or don't) depending on how they dissect and analyze what's going on. You and I are just very different analytically, especially when it comes to out-of-ring storytelling, and that's fine.
The big-boobed Barbie thing is definitely an issue, too. You can't be the agent of change that WWE wants and look the same as the prototypical "problem" women of the era you're trying to break away from
This is what's driving me crazy about the Charlotte hate. The "problem" women you're describing couldn't wrestle and had to be in things like pillow fights and bra and panties matches to disguise that. And I'm not saying that she's the best worker of the Four Horsewomen. In fact she's probably the least effective. But that's like having the lowest IQ at the annual MENSA meeting. Even on the low end, you're still pretty great at what you do. I will not have Charlotte's skills compared to the "problem" women of the past, because it's not true.

And the fact that one of your arguing points is that she has implants is ridiculous. So what if she looks like a Barbie doll? That is something that women are free to aspire to be if they choose. They can also choose to follow their childhood desires into adulthood like Bailey, be big and beautiful like Nia, or someone who expresses themselves via wild colors and dance like Naomi , or someone who's brash like Becky. I could go on and on. The current women's roster is emblematic of the fact that women can kick ass while coming in all shapes and sizes both physically and personality wise, and "Barbie doll" just so happens to be a shape. And it isn't like big boobed blond models have ruled the roost either. Nia, Becky, and Ronda, and Asuka have been pushed prominently this year along with Charlotte.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 13th, '19, 09:37

The Charlotte thing is less about "big tits and blonde hair" than it is about she's always seemed like "the one" of the women's division.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 13th, '19, 10:55

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 12th, '19, 17:56
KILLdozer wrote: Feb 12th, '19, 16:08
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 12th, '19, 14:49
This. He's a gigantic, North Carolinian Hirooki Goto.
Alright...what the heck does this mean? You know I don't watch that stuff lol.
It means go read http://www.thewrestlingrevolution.com/r ... hp?id=2502
Oh yeah. I read that. Pretty spot-on accurate. It's like they only like him so much when it comes to THE BIG THINGS...no matter how much he does or gets over and good he's allowed to look...he just never gets it and at this point I wouldn't be surprised if the people just aren't buying into Strowman as much anymore.

To put that much into the guy for more than a year with so much surrounding him...only to refuse to go all the way every time...fuck it the fans have learned by now.

Like that one woman you just stop calling because no matter what she says it never actually goes anywhere...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 13th, '19, 11:28

NWK2000 wrote: Feb 13th, '19, 09:22
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 12th, '19, 16:29
The big-boobed Barbie thing is definitely an issue, too. You can't be the agent of change that WWE wants and look the same as the prototypical "problem" women of the era you're trying to break away from
This is what's driving me crazy about the Charlotte hate. The "problem" women you're describing couldn't wrestle and had to be in things like pillow fights and bra and panties matches to disguise that. And I'm not saying that she's the best worker of the Four Horsewomen. In fact she's probably the least effective. But that's like having the lowest IQ at the annual MENSA meeting. Even on the low end, you're still pretty great at what you do. I will not have Charlotte's skills compared to the "problem" women of the past, because it's not true.

And the fact that one of your arguing points is that she has implants is ridiculous. So what if she looks like a Barbie doll? That is something that women are free to aspire to be if they choose. They can also choose to follow their childhood desires into adulthood like Bailey, be big and beautiful like Nia, or someone who expresses themselves via wild colors and dance like Naomi , or someone who's brash like Becky. I could go on and on. The current women's roster is emblematic of the fact that women can kick ass while coming in all shapes and sizes both physically and personality wise, and "Barbie doll" just so happens to be a shape. And it isn't like big boobed blond models have ruled the roost either. Nia, Becky, and Ronda, and Asuka have been pushed prominently this year along with Charlotte.
I'm not arguing that this is the way it should be. I'm arguing that in order for the messaging strategy that WWE has chosen to be successful with the general public, this is the way it has to be, because the general public doesn't understand workrate and aren't willing to put the time in to understand wrestling. All of us here know that these women are completely different personality-wise, but the general public will take one look at them and all they'll see is "big-boobed blonde." It didn't matter how great Trish Stratus got in the ring: every time someone from the general public outside of Canada took a look at her, they immediately lumped her in with far lesser workers like Torrie and Sable.

There is no bigger advocate of choice-feminism than me, but the appallingly sad truth is that choice-feminism has been almost completely pushed out of mainstream/progressive circles (which is who WWE is appealing to with their "we've changed our attitude on women" message) and replaced by a fascist wing of the movement that looks down on women for not making choice that they don't approve of, not even realizing the irony that they are trying to assume the same dictatorial control over women's lives that so hate the patriarchy for trying to have.
The problem is the combination of WWE's obsession with branding and their obsession with being accepted by the "mainstream" while still trying to argue that they're not professional wrestling and thus shouldn't be looked down upon, which just causes the mainstream to say "but you are professional wrestling, and thus, by your own definition, should be looked down upon, and you trying to fool us into thinking you're not just makes us look down on you even more."

As I said, the NXT model where you just push the women as athletes instead of giving giant speeches about how there is now a "revolution" and the era of objectification is over does a much better job of allowing for diverse body and personality types to all be stars than WWE's inherently sex-negative Divas'/Women's R/Evolution message. This problem is one unique to WWE because of the combination of their message and their desire to gain acceptance within the general population, as opposed to other promotions, who stick to trying to recruit people who "get" wrestling (which really just boils down to wrestling fans, MMA fighters, and performing artists, because the general public is unwilling to see past the "but it's fake!" issue, even though 95% of the stuff they watch on TV and enjoy is fake too).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3